House rentals in children friendly communities

stargazer9999

Hi.  I posted on this forum recently a question about the best quiet beaches in Krabi or Phuket and got some very helpful replies.  I didn’t find a resort we really liked on those beaches so now I am considering a change of plans and renting a house on Phuket instead.

Our trip is almost two months long and it would be nice to take a break from the usual hotel dinner and breakfast routine and cook for ourselves. Ideally, we’d like to find a house rental where our kids can have fun (swimming pool, playground, etc…).  We plan on staying for about two weeks starting on March 20th, 2024. 

In Airbnb if you select those dates and choose a house with a/c, wifi, pool, bbq, etc… many choices come back.  We’re budgeting 2000-4000 baht a night so it looks like there are many options.  We just don’t know which ones would be best for children.  If we find a place we like without a playground it will still be okay.  

I see a house for 4000 baht/night that’s a 7 minute drive to Bang Tao beach so something like that might be a good choice.  Or perhaps there’s a better way to search for rentals other than Airbnb? 

Any thoughts on any of this are appreciated.  Thanks!

Look around kamala, very child friendly, nice beach, lots of restaurants on the beach, restaurants in town>
parks, 3x/week night market,  Fantasea for the kids , most rentals will be walkable to the beach
I doubt anyone, BUT airbnb, will rent less than 3 months thou

Thanks zzzzz.  I don't see a better alternative than airbnb so far.  I'll check out kamala more seriously.  i see many listings there.

How's the traffic around that part?  I have no idea how busy the roads will be in mid-March.  I'd prefer not to be in traffic jams every day wherever we end up.

Any recommendations are appreciated because unless you really know an area there's a lot of guessing involved.  I live in CM and know this area quite well.  We're actually heading that way because the pollution is intolerable that time of year here.

Thanks again.

9 hours ago, zzzzz said:

I doubt anyone, BUT airbnb, will rent less than 3 months thou

Yes indeed.

Riding around the back roads of Kamala these days there are no "For rent" signs any more - a year ago there were plenty.

It would seem that there is now a lot of Russian money coming in to Phuket and going into long-term rentals and new constructions. For example, the two houses next to my place have sat empty for years and are now sold.

Last week I renewed for another year and my rent has gone up 33%, but still a good deal.

6 minutes ago, stargazer9999 said:

How's the traffic around that part? 

The traffic in Kamala is fine but if you travel north or south during the daytime you will suffer congestion - I only use a scooter and so I'm not bothered but a car would be a different matter.

I guess that it depends what you're used to.

14 hours ago, stargazer9999 said:

Thanks zzzzz.  I don't see a better alternative than airbnb so far.  I'll check out kamala more seriously.  i see many listings there.

How's the traffic around that part?  I have no idea how busy the roads will be in mid-March.  I'd prefer not to be in traffic jams every day wherever we end up.

Any recommendations are appreciated because unless you really know an area there's a lot of guessing involved.  I live in CM and know this area quite well.  We're actually heading that way because the pollution is intolerable that time of year here.

Thanks again.

traffic gets not so great 5-6:30 pm between the 2 traffic lights  on the  main road, other than that>>>> lovely
u just need drive around, or look online,  I see no "for rent" signs for over a month but there Lots of condos here 
as to Russians<  my wife works at "shinning star " pre school 60% of the kids (2-6 ) are russian 

London u got a s#@t landlord, just renewed mine 2 weeks ago , same as last year :-)

avoid Patong !!!!!  traffic everyday for over a month and its Only going to get worse

i'm guessing the traffic can't be much worse than Chiang Mai during rush hours.  I'll keep looking for a house around Kamala beach or else a condo as a backup plan.  I just want to make sure we can cook.  The house idea would at least give us a BBQ option which we would like.

Thanks.

16 hours ago, zzzzz said:

London u got a s#@t landlord, just renewed mine 2 weeks ago , same as last year :-)

I'm now paying B12,000/month for a small 48sq.m. raised one bedroom apartment in a private family-owned soi with a garden and a clear mountain view and parking underneath. The Russian couple next door in the other half of the raised and gated building are paying B16,000. I am more than happy with my deal.

In the current market I think that my landlord (actually an elderly Thai landlady) could get close to B20,000.

Edited by London Lowf

16 hours ago, zzzzz said:

avoid Patong !!!!!  traffic everyday for over a month and its Only going to get worse

That's why I'm back in the UK for three weeks - Patong has been a nightmare recently, especially when they had that "event" on the beach over the Constitution Day holiday.

7 hours ago, London Lowf said:

I'm now paying B12,000/month for a small 48sq.m. raised one bedroom apartment in a private family-owned soi with a garden and a clear mountain view and parking underneath. The Russian couple next door in the other half of the raised and gated building are paying B16,000. I am more than happy with my deal.

In the current market I think that my landlord (actually an elderly Thai landlady) could get close to B20,000.

i pay 10,000 for a 2 bedroom, 2 aircon furnished raised house with mtn views in Kamala

:-)

I've never stayed there but know the location well as I ride along that road to get to Nai Yang beach a couple of times a week - there are a few similar small independant rentals along that stretch.

There are some small shops and restaurants within walking distance but it is a long walk to the beach or town for major shopping, albeit quick and easily doable on a scooter or even a pushbike.

Looking at the reviews it is a cute place and well-regarded. It is on a main road but don't let that put you off - it doesn't have heavy traffic, just a small proportion of the airport runs (staff and passengers). Very little heavy or noisy stuff, especially at night.

If you are happy with the price and location then I would go for it.

Edited by London Lowf