Atorvastatin 20mg Sandoz

jayboy

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

If you can use BESTATIN [Simvastatin] cost would be reduced (about 3 baht per tablet).

Agreed its cheaper but like myself, he was probably upgraded to Atorvastatin. I have to take 80mg daily a large dose which gets very expensive in Thailand. Luckily I go back to the UK every year for 4 months and I bring back a stock with me. I also order my medication monthly in the UK whilst I am here and have it delivred to my next door neighbour.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Atorvin  (made by Unison)   

Chlovas  (made by Millimed)

Lipostat  (made by  Siam Bheasach) 

Will run about 500 baht for 30 tabs

Many thanks.These alternatives appear to be about half the price of Atavorstatin Sandoz 20.

On another tack is there a difference in efficacy between Atavorstatin and say Simvastatin or is it not a question possible to answer because they do different things? I had always assumed statins were much the same, and doctors prescribed - sometimes after trial and error - based on the patients tolerance and minimization of any side effects.

• Agree 1

NHS study showed no significant difference between the two of them. For same reduction in cholesterol would need 40mg of Simvastin for same effects as 20mg Atorvastatin. My doctor at BPH says that Atorvastatin has a slightly better survival rate in patients who have had a heart problem in the past. 

• Thanks 1

The difference in prices of atoravastatin (and almost all medicines in Thailand) is truly amazing! 

I have bought a box of 10 tablets for 700 baht, and at a different pharmacy, a box for 230 baht!  (Different brands, same medicine).

My elderly MIL gets loads of packets for free at the gov't hospital, (worth thousands, I'm sure), which she does not even use!

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

If you can use BESTATIN [Simvastatin] cost would be reduced (about 3 baht per tablet).

That is what I take. Prescribed and sold at the state hospital, which is where I get all my meds now, other than OTC meds.

BESTATIN [Simvastatin] is a genetic trade name.

The best idea I have found when given a new medicine is to search the internet for the genetic version.

When my wife was in a private hospital she was given Paracetamol tablets at 18 thb each. Exactly the same as Tylenol available OTC at any pharmacy at about 100 thb for 100 tablets.

• Like 1

Cardiotoxicity as a Possible Side Effect of Statins

" a number of side effects of statins, in particular, myotoxicity, hepatotoxicity, diabetogenic property, etc., may limit the possibility of using statins or even force doctors to cancel these drugs. Also, some concerns are caused by recent studies reporting cardiotoxicity of statins and increased serum concentrations of biomarkers of myocardial damage (highly sensitive cardiac troponins (hs-cTns)) in patients taking statins. This article discusses in detail the possible mechanisms of cardiotoxicity of statins and outlines the directions for further research in this area."

https://www.imrpress.com/journal/RCM/24/1/10.31083/j.rcm2401022/htm