E20 petrol/gasoline

essex boys

1 hour ago, essex boys said:

Hi all, I have a 2014 fiesta 1.5S I run it on 95 octane but it can run in E20 although I have never tried it, anybody using E20 in their vehicle and if so do you notice any lack of power or more/less fuel economy.

Drove at least a 100'000 km on E20. All PTT.

Mazda 2, 1.4l from 2011.

I need about 0.2 l/100 km more compared to gasohol 95.

If price difference is less than 2 Baht I switch to 95.

Enough power to loose sight in the mirror of the creepers starting from the traffic light.

In terms of CO2 generated,  maybe the same or slightly more as the ethanol provides additional oxygen to ensure more complete combustion and reduce the amount of partial combustion products in the exhaust. Ethanol in fuel is intended to reduce the amount of photochemical smog created, particularly around big cities with lots of vehicles, when the chemicals from incomplete combustion react in presence of sunlight in the atmosphere. 

Neither fuel is “green” by any measure.

22 hours ago, degrub said:

In terms of CO2 generated,  maybe the same or slightly more as the ethanol provides additional oxygen to ensure more complete combustion and reduce the amount of partial combustion products in the exhaust. Ethanol in fuel is intended to reduce the amount of photochemical smog created, particularly around big cities with lots of vehicles, when the chemicals from incomplete combustion react in presence of sunlight in the atmosphere. 

Neither fuel is “green” by any measure.

If the ethanol are plant based, would the co2 released be more recently 'captured' by the plants used vs petroleum's which was captured long ago

When we bought the MG ZS, we sampled 3 grades; 91, E20 & E85 (which car was designed for).  Performed a wee bit better on E85, very wee bit, and at the time, it was 28% cheaper than 91.  kpL suffered, 11 vs 14, but price difference made up for it, and cost about the same baht per 100 kms.

Fast forward, and now they are almost identical in price, so if still having the ICE ZS, we'd just use 91, as no real advantage.

On 12/21/2023 at 8:20 PM, essex boys said:

Thanks for the replies so far gents, doesn’t seem to be much in it either price wise or economy wise…I will fill up with E20 on my next visit to the petrol station and see what results I get 

Maje sure that you don't reach a judgement based on just one tank, give it two or three I'd say.

On 12/20/2023 at 6:55 AM, essex boys said:

Hi all, I have a 2014 fiesta 1.5S I run it on 95 octane but it can run in E20 although I have never tried it, anybody using E20 in their vehicle and if so do you notice any lack of power or more/less fuel economy.

My car can use either 95 or E20, I keep a spreadsheet of my vehicle fills and have data of about 60 fills over about 30,000km

so I can quite easily compare the 20 E20 fills to the 40 95 fills. There is absolutely no noticeable difference in performance between the 2, however there is a noticeable difference in consumption/price per km I did the compassion over about 2 years of data and E20 cost more per km over that period, I can’t remember the exact difference but it was significant enough that I now use 95 exclusively. 
note all but 2 fills are from PTT stations.

Of course my data are only proof for my vehicle and driving style. You may have different results but my guess is that they will be consistent. the majority of drivers don’t bother to record the data to allow accuracy and just look at the fact that an E20 fill is cheaper than a 95 one, so E20 is popular.

• Thanks 1