U-Tapao Airport Eyes Direct Flights from India to Lure Tourists

webfact

image.jpeg

Pattaya — U-Tapao International Airport, located near Pattaya, is making an effort to attract direct flights from India, eyeing the vast potential of the Indian tourism market.

In a meeting held on Friday, December 15th, Admiral Ekasittichai Tangjai, Director of U-Tapao airport, met with Ms. Natsuda Mettaprasert, Deputy Consul General to India, and Mr. Navaid Desai, General Manager of Customer Relations at INDIGO Airlines.

The meeting, held at U-Tapao airport, focused on exploring collaboration opportunities between the airline and the airport. Admiral Ekasittichai extended a warm invitation to the delegates, aiming to foster confidence among Indian tourists about the ease and convenience of flying directly to U-Tapao airport.

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2023-12-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

10 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

to lure tourists .....pssst ,psst want to come to Pattaya for holiday ,don't bring any Gold with you.

'lure' it sounds sleazy , 

regards worgeordie 

agree .....   ' lure '   sounds like entrapment or to catch ....     maybe better chosen word like ' encourage or entice '   

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

to lure tourists .....pssst ,psst want to come to Pattaya for holiday ,don't bring any Gold with you.

regards worgeordie 

Welcome is the word they're looking for WELCOME... NOT Lure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie 

Yes, for sure.  Smoeone is trying to trick someone into doing something unwise.  Who is it keeps bringing up this word?  They should be told.

21 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie 

From what I hear it's a sleazy trip to Pattaya, shhh, tell the wife you are on a business trip to Bangalore!

13 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

I don't know why they can not bring another "walking street" into a dead city, and "lure" the indians there.  I'm sure there are enough of them to sustain said dead city.  Please don't bring them into Pattaya, we got quite enough already!

It is not the way it works... they basically take over and push the current residents out, like Leicester. Could move to Phuket, nope, Russians got that, perhaps we need to build up Ban Chang or Bang Saray?

On 12/20/2023 at 8:47 AM, webfact said:

U-Tapao International Airport, located near Pattaya, is making an effort

Not in my experience.  The place is a dump; scruffy; unfinished; poor service; riddled with mosquitoes.  Don't even think of emailing them in English.  International travellers can't get any refreshments without a Thai App on their phones!  The ludicrous rule 'no photos taking off/landing' shows how dumb the owners (Thai navy) are in not having heard of global Earth which has already photographed EVERYTHING and published it on line right down to the defunct aircraft carrier.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
19 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

UTapao could certainly use more flights. The airport is underused, and has a lot of excess capacity.

Back in the day, there were flights from UTP to Isaan, very handy for bargirls.

In 2023 the government approved that the Aeronautical Radio of Thailand (Aerothai) could carry out a project worth 1.25 billion baht that would upgrade air navigation services at U-Tapao, to ensure that the airport, which is being planned to be developed as a third major commercial airport, with said project to be completed by 2025.

The Transport Ministry also hopes are that air traffic at U-Tapao airport in 2048 will grow to about 241,100 flights a year, (70 million passengers) under a plan by the Royal Thai Navy (RTN) and Eastern Special Development Zone Policy (EEC), draft details from 2020 attached, to show the dream.

https://www.aiib.org/en/projects/details/2022/_download/thailand/P000575_Thailand-U-Tapao-International-Airport-Expansion-Project-EHIA-Chapter-2-English.pdf

9 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

In 2023 the government approved that the Aeronautical Radio of Thailand (Aerothai) could carry out a project worth 1.25 billion baht that would upgrade air navigation services at U-Tapao, to ensure that the airport, which is being planned to be developed as a third major commercial airport, with said project to be completed by 2025.

I suspect that UTapao growth will happen in 2047. Before then, not much.

I checked the Google for Aerothai progress at UTapao.

Nothing since the announcement in 2023.

Edited by Danderman123

10 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I suspect that UTapao growth will happen in 2047. Before then, not much.

I was only repeating government statements/dreams, I can not really see it happening as AOT (Airports of Thailand) have always said it does not have any plan to transfer the business of U-Tapao International Airport, from the RTN to AOT, and hence it would be competition to AOTs big money earning Bangkok airports.

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Like 1

Pre Covid, direct flights from Doha, Qatar had begun and Air Asia ran flights to 9 different Thai cities, with a new terminal built to service them.

Covid has a lot to answer for.