If you live next to a mango farm or Rubber tree farm can I get your advise

Steve910

We've found some land we are looking at which is around 4-6 rai, next door there is a rubber farm around 4 rai which is very well kept. Opposite there is a large mango farm much larger size in rai.

If you have a rubber/mango farm or live near one, are there any considerations you should make before deciding to live next to these types of farms?

Thank you very much.

Nah, not much of a problem. We have rubber plantation and rice farm on the sides. Can´t imagine that mango farm should be worse. What happens is that the rubber people work at night or early in the morning, but almost never hear them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2023 at 10:43 PM, Steve910 said:

We've found some land we are looking at which is around 4-6 rai, next door there is a rubber farm around 4 rai which is very well kept. Opposite there is a large mango farm much larger size in rai.

If you have a rubber/mango farm or live near one, are there any considerations you should make before deciding to live next to these types of farms?

Thank you very much.

Conventional/chemical mango orchard management will possibly involve repeated foliar pesticide spraying during mango fruit fly infestation season,unless they are bagging the fruit. Your property could be subject to pesticide spray drift, if that's a concern for you and especially if you are planning on any organic growing for personal use, and/or it could affect organic grower certification if you are going that route. 

Shade from mature orchard trees could affect your bordering property if you are intending to grow veggies, home orchard or field crops.

"Very well kept", what does that mean to you? It could mean heavy herbicide applications for weed control that can leach into ground water or drift into your property and a water pond. Some herbicides (and the surfactants that are mixed with them as adjuvants) can volatilize at over about 26C into a gaseous drift that can pollute nearby water, crops or landscapes.

Edited by drtreelove

Don't let you dogs/pets run free if you notice them spraying chemicals.

My dog got a slight poisoning and thankfully recovered.  Simply by the idiot a couple lots down spraying weed killer along the road, under the barbed wire fence.  

A warning sign would have been nice, as well known I walk my dog along there, for her evening Ps.   Took her to the park for land mind dropping, this at a rental, to avoid land mines on neighbors front areas.