Thailand Attracting Expat Retirees

NanLaew

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=120292

Despite the unstable politics here and obviously much better land ownership laws elsewhere, Thailand appears to be attracting growing retirees with greater liquidity due to the real estate price spiral in the west. High prices in the traditional (from UK) Iberian retirement havens are encouraging some to sell up, move here and extend their twilight years.

Thought I would post this for comments since Pattaya is an obvious destination for retirees. I just passed through Bintulu, Sarawak (east Malaysia) and was amazed at the housing boom since I last visited over 3 years ago. I asked how much one of these quite grand 4-bedroom houses on sizeable tracts of land in an estate would cost and was quoted around S$120k. That's maybe less than half the price of something similar here? A similar climate to Pattaya, decent shopping and the prices I checked in the supermarket looked a bit better although there was no Branston Pickle or McVities Digestives! Oh yes, the driving was so.... restrained too.

Anyone here a former Malaysian expat, planning to be one or just keeping your options open?

Anyone planning investing more here for the thundering heard of retirees and all that they will need?

I hope this doesn't end up as a Pattaya bashing thread. I am very comfortable here but interested in the opinions of other resident Pattaya expats, working, retired, investing and otherwise.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=120292

Despite the unstable politics here and obviously much better land ownership laws elsewhere, Thailand appears to be attracting growing retirees with greater liquidity due to the real estate price spiral in the west. High prices in the traditional (from UK) Iberian retirement havens are encouraging some to sell up, move here and extend their twilight years.

Thought I would post this for comments since Pattaya is an obvious destination for retirees. I just passed through Bintulu, Sarawak (east Malaysia) and was amazed at the housing boom since I last visited over 3 years ago. I asked how much one of these quite grand 4-bedroom houses on sizeable tracts of land in an estate would cost and was quoted around S$120k. That's maybe less than half the price of something similar here? A similar climate to Pattaya, decent shopping and the prices I checked in the supermarket looked a bit better although there was no Branston Pickle or McVities Digestives! Oh yes, the driving was so.... restrained too.

Anyone here a former Malaysian expat, planning to be one or just keeping your options open?

Anyone planning investing more here for the thundering heard of retirees and all that they will need?

I hope this doesn't end up as a Pattaya bashing thread. I am very comfortable here but interested in the opinions of other resident Pattaya expats, working, retired, investing and otherwise.

I do have to agree with you NanLaew! I have been surprised at what is available

in Malaysia. I never paid much attention to the place before but on 2 recent trips

couldnt understand why i hadnt ? :o What i like is because it is such a muliticultural

place anyway with all races - you dont get those occasional " xenophobic " feelings

of slight resentment from those few Thai's that obviously see farangs as a bit of a nuisance !!

You just melt in with the crowd in Malaysia !

One of our Malay agents made a comment regarding Malaysia's home-grown 'discrimination' between native Bhumiputra (sp?) and the Malay Chinese. In hindsight it could explain their indifference to the westerner. Where in Thailand you are either Thai or farang, in Malaysia you are either Bhumi or Chinese and westerners being a 3rd party minority are acknowledged but in a much more benign way than in Thailand. Interesting to see if that changes if Malaysia manages to induce large enough communities of resident foreigners to make a social impact.

One of our Malay agents made a comment regarding Malaysia's home-grown 'discrimination' between native Bhumiputra (sp?) and the Malay Chinese. In hindsight it could explain their indifference to the westerner. Where in Thailand you are either Thai or farang, in Malaysia you are either Bhumi or Chinese and westerners being a 3rd party minority are acknowledged but in a much more benign way than in Thailand. Interesting to see if that changes if Malaysia manages to induce large enough communities of resident foreigners to make a social impact.

Presumbly the Bhumiputra look " Indo Chinese " - like Thais or Vietnamese ?

So what about the huge number of Indians - how are they regarded ?

Yes, Bhumi would be considered Indochinese looking in our view. I didn't think of the Malay Indians but you are right. Despite being plentiful, maybe they are even more marginalized than the Bhumi and Chinese? Still, it all lends support to your earlier contention that the ethnic diversity may make for a less xenophobic culture don't you think?

Yes, Bhumi would be considered Indochinese looking in our view. I didn't think of the Malay Indians but you are right. Despite being plentiful, maybe they are even more marginalized than the Bhumi and Chinese? Still, it all lends support to your earlier contention that the ethnic diversity may make for a less xenophobic culture don't you think?

Yes that is exactly how i felt there. It's a real ' meting pot ' but there is almost

a nice ' harmony' about it :o And there is even different types of Indians !!

But you feel everyone is pulling together to develop their eonomy. The other

nice thing is you dont often have any language problems - i.e most speak English

What I meant to say is that there is a fundamental difference with citizens in a

multicultural country like Malaysia because I got the impression no one feels

superior to anyone else ? Malaysia constitutes a wide variety of races.

So even if you are Caucasian I don't think you'd be treated any differently ?

In Thailand regrettably from time to time you are reminded that you are

an outsider and that you'll never be entitled to participate in some things.

No matter how long you live here you will never be anything other

than a " farang " ? just my opinion

What I meant to say is that there is a fundamental difference with citizens in a

multicultural country like Malaysia because I got the impression no one feels

superior to anyone else ? Malaysia constitutes a wide variety of races.

So even if you are Caucasian I don't think you'd be treated any differently ?

In Thailand regrettably from time to time you are reminded that you are

an outsider and that you'll never be entitled to participate in some things.

No matter how long you live here you will never be anything other

than a " farang " ? just my opinion

A farang in Thailand can sometimes be looked up to, sometimes looked down to and sometimes indifferent. But the overwhelming advantage in Malaysia is the English language and the better infrastructure.

Would you seriously want to retire in Malaysia?

Religious police on your doorstep

OK infacstructure is superior,then again so is the price.

Language is a plus,,,,but hey! isnt that one of the attractions of Thailand?

I cant knock Malaysia...its a great place.

Horses for courses.

Up to you.

Dont for one minute think that the Malay police are less corrupt than the Thai police.

Have a nice day

P.S. I would retire in Malaysia with the greatest joy ,if the other option was the UK

Edited by soihok

I have always gotten the feeling that they are looked down on by the other races. :o

Looked down on may be too strong. On guard may be the right expression. They are looked up in legal and medical fields.

Would you seriously want to retire in Malaysia?

Religious police on your doorstep

OK infacstructure is superior,then again so is the price.

Language is a plus,,,,but hey! isnt that one of the attractions of Thailand?

I cant knock Malaysia...its a great place.

Horses for courses.

Up to you.

Dont for one minute think that the Malay police are less corrupt than the Thai police.

Have a nice day

P.S. I would retire in Malaysia with the greatest joy ,if the other option was the UK

So if push came to shove....?

Maybe a poll would be interesting. "If LOS went tits-up, where would you go?"

I would have to think about all the options since apart from the obvious choices, I bet there's loads of alternatives.