Am Shipping A Container Of Household Stuff

lotus eater

I am shipping a sole use 20 ft container. Provided there is space in the container, I'm wondering whether or not to throw in my dvd player (quite new but cheap), a sony tv (very old but fine as a small second tv), a hifi system (quite new, medium range price), even a vcr (old and cheap).

I'll be billed for a whole day's packing anyway so I don't expect much difference to the overall cost. But I have in mind the possibility of duty or tea money being extracted, the advisability of buying new there, and the risk that the tv/vcr/dvd player may not run the same way in the thai system/region. (My things all work in the UK systm/region)

Which if any of these things would you advize are best left behind (even if chucked away)? On any grounds other than the (negligible) additional transport cost.

(Are vcr players even made/sold any more? Can I get my vhs tapes converted to dvd in Thailand?)

Your electronic toys will work, however you will need new plug and/or adaptors for the power. Given the price of the electronic equipment it is better to sell or give to charity in UK and buy in LOS.

There are people who convert VHS to DVD, it will be cheaper to do in LOS than UK, but check the quality. Do one and pay a little more then do the deal for the rest.

Enjoy the move.

TV will not work for off the air reception as Thailand uses the same system used by Germany and you will not have your sound on the right frequency.

DVD will most likely not play those available in Thailand and they only cost about 15-20 pounds new here.

You are right that electronics might catch the eye of customs but doubt it will make that much difference.

TV will not work for off the air reception as Thailand uses the same system used by Germany and you will not have your sound on the right frequency.

DVD will most likely not play those available in Thailand and they only cost about 15-20 pounds new here.

You are right that electronics might catch the eye of customs but doubt it will make that much difference.

If you have a Thai wife who was resident in UK with you for a few years, and she can demostrate that residence to Thai customs, then if you ship in her name rather than yours, she is entitled to duty-free importation of all household effects. Could save some hassle. It worked for us when we shipped stuff, including a couple of TVs, from Macau a few years ago.

One of the TVs we shipped was old and single standard and we never managed to get its sound converted from 6MHz to 5.5MHz for Thailand (but it was OK on AV), but I think all TVs are multi-standard these days, so I don't think that would be a problem now. Just change the mains plug or use an adapter.

+ SJ

Personally I wouldn't bother with the telly for the reasons stated above.

Cheapo DVD player will probably have a region hack available so bung it in the container, HiFi will be fine.

One word of advice if you do bring stuff, replace the UK plugs with Thai ones, the locally available adaptors swap live and neutral (live is on the left here) placing the plug fuse in the neutral line which could be a hazard. Not an issue if you have 'brick' type power packs with moulded in plugs (fuse, what fuse?).