Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Come Smokey Season : an Idea for Chiang Mai Businesses.

SamSanuk

When the smoke is in full force, there is a local coffee shop near me that has these wonderful machines chugging away, keeping the air inside clean. Two big ones! It’s such a nice gesture that they think about their customers lungs (and our patronage).

So I thought: wouldn’t it be wise for businesses in our town to have a sign posted out front that their air inside is filtered-clean and breathable? 

I did try to contact a local CM media entity to discuss a more formal CityWide concept, one that would involve local university students and a Go Fund Me drive to defer printing costs. Wouldn’t YOU kick in a few hundred baht for such a cause?

So if some enterprising Thai students want to take the ball and run with it….I think a city-wide campaign could benefit us all….and would probably generate some local and international media.

And thank you, in advance, to all the shops in Chiang Mai, that make the investment in our health.

Edited by SamSanuk
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, simon43 said:

Your idea would go down like a lead balloon with the local authorities!  Do they really want a foreigner to publicise how bad the air quality is?

And why Thai students have to take the idea and run with it. I have no intention of involvement besides this posting.

1 hour ago, SamSanuk said:

So I thought: wouldn’t it be wise for businesses in our town to have a sign posted out front that their air inside is filtered-clean and breathable?

I think a sign posted 35฿ for krapao would attract more customers than an air purifier in a leaky hole-in-the-wall joint, which are the bulk of the shops.

1 hour ago, SamSanuk said:

Wouldn’t YOU kick in a few hundred baht for such a cause?

No, sorry not a chance. Nice idea though.

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

what it's going to take is get Police ,Army ,volunteers out into the field ,road blocks,

use drones ,catch a few arsonists

That would take an immense amount of resources, no chance of it happening. Though they could use remote sensing if strategically implemented. 

10 minutes ago, novacova said:
1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

what it's going to take is get Police ,Army ,volunteers out into the field ,road blocks,

use drones ,catch a few arsonists

That would take an immense amount of resources, no chance of it happening. Though they could use remote sensing if strategically implemented. 

Yes the Police are so busy , and the army preparing for what , volunteers would do it for free,

they waste so much money on projects that don't work , for years they have really done nothing

to prevent this problem ,the folks up in the hills ,know they can set fires with impunity as there's

no one out their to catch them , they must be proactive ,fiddling while the hills burn , and people

get sick .

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NotEinstein said:

They don't have to catch the arsonists - just apply a massive fine to the actual land owner, with a repeat resulting in jail time.

The actual land owner of where the mushroom pickers burn to get the mushrooms growing, that would be the government (land owner) imposing fines and jail time on itself, which would be quite entertaining.