AV to HDMI

Thailand

Another cable question.

Old TV only has AV outlet, 3 pin red,white yellow. Currently connects to an old Android box again via AV cable.

Getting a new android box but the TV is OK so does not need changing. Just realised the new box does not have AV only HDMI access. 

I have seen that the AV HDMI cables are available so simply asking is this likely to work connecting the old TV -  AV to the new box HDMI?

I will know when I do get the  new box and AV HDMI cable and try it myself but just asking if anyone has had similar experience?

Thanks

Many years ago, used an HDMI to AV converter. Yes it worked, but lost picture quality. I got a new TV fairly quickly.

If your android box is receiving decent UHDTV or 4K channels, I think you will be disappointed.

Unless things have improved in recent years, which I doubt, as old technology.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Ralf001 said:

i'd reckon the old TV does not support that resolution anyways.

The old TV appears to be working on elastic bands , masking tape and seat of the pants so your assumption may well be correct!:smile:

Off to the January sales!

The price of new Smart TVs has dropped dramatically in recent years, by at least 50%. even more if you take inflation into account. 2-3 K for 32'', the first one I had cost me 12k but it won't connect to the internet anymore. so brought a bigger one.

2 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Many years ago, used an HDMI to AV converter. Yes it worked, but lost picture quality.

By definition the picture quality of HDMI if much better than AV.

It is impossible to convert high definition HDMI to AV.

It is possible to convert AV to HDMI without much quality loss. But because of the limitations of AV it will never be as good as HDMI from a HDMI source. 

AV_versus_HDMI.JPG

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Powerbuy has 98" TV's for Bt.120,000 at the moment.

Size is everything as they say.

TV is mounted above a door so only allows max size 43 inches!:smile:

So looks like I can get what I will need around the 4K mark.

20 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It is possible to convert AV to HDMI without much quality loss. But because of the limitations of AV it will never be as good as HDMI from a HDMI source. 

AV_versus_HDMI.JPG

I currently have a 4k bluray outputting over hdmi to a hdmi to av (480i) converter thence to the av inout on the tv with no issues other than mild picture quality as would be expected. 

the converter is Mini HDMI2AV

i can upload picture later if needed. Available on Amazon here, but from PRC so should be available.

10 minutes ago, degrub said:

I currently have a 4k bluray outputting over hdmi to a hdmi to av (480i) converter thence to the av inout on the tv with no issues other than mild picture quality as would be expected. 

i can upload picture later if needed. Available on Amazon here, but from PRC so should be available.

Look up the definitions of AV and HDMI and you will see AV is far away from HDMI.

It is impossible to covert high-resolution HDMI to AV without losing a lot of quality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/480i

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Specifications

41 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

AV_versus_HDMI.JPG

Fully agree, I was only using standard TV source when I used a converter, and found it had not only effect on the quality, but distorted picture size also. 

Would think HDTV, UHDTV and 4 K sources it would be pointless. 

2 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Fully agree, I was only using standard TV source when I used a converter, and found it had not only effect on the quality, but distorted picture size also. 

Would think HDTV, UHDTV and 4 K sources it would be pointless. 

It's pointless if we want highest quality.

But maybe we have old videos, like self produced recordings or maybe some old movies.

I remember I watched VHS 40 years ago and we enjoyed the movies and didn't think about possible better quality at that time.

Some people make the mistake that they think all must be in the highest resolution to look good. No, it's not necessary. It's nice to have but old, low resolution, is not by definition bad. It's just not as good as what's available now. 

19 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Look up the definitions of AV and HDMI and you will see AV is far away from HDMI.

It is impossible to covert high-resolution HDMI to AV without losing a lot of quality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/480i

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Specifications

And the OP is already used to the lesser resolution and quality of a an old tv with av input only.  My old Sony trinitron tube from the early 1980s actually looks remarkably good with the downsampled and converted signal.  It is different from the digital signal used now, but resolution isn’t the be all end all.

Edited by degrub
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's pointless if we want highest quality.

But maybe we have old videos, like self produced recordings or maybe some old movies.

I remember I watched VHS 40 years ago and we enjoyed the movies and didn't think about possible better quality at that time.

Some people make the mistake that they think all must be in the highest resolution to look good. No, it's not necessary. It's nice to have but old, low resolution, is not by definition bad. It's just not as good as what's available now. 

Yes, but given the low cost of decent quality now, I would like to have the option to view in the best quality available.

It is like watching the same channel online, HD and then comparing what I get through my local cable supplier, in Sattahip, you never watch cable again. That includes the Thai channels.

Older movies, VHS, are going to look the same, so no problem.

I never watch much TV, but would not want to limit the experience for a few 000 baht.

3 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Yes, but given the low cost of decent quality now, I would like to have the option to view in the best quality available.

It is like watching the same channel online, HD and then comparing what I get through my local cable supplier, in Sattahip, you never watch cable again. That includes the Thai channels.

Older movies, VHS, are going to look the same, so no problem.

I never watch much TV, but would not want to limit the experience for a few 000 baht.

I've always thought that our posters recommending other members spend for tech they don't particularly want or need should be required to transfer the extra funds to the member's bank account.

Edited by BigStar

4 hours ago, degrub said:

Thanks, about 70 baht on Lazada.

11 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Anyone who cannot afford a decent TV must be a complete loser, and should consider if Thailand is the right place.

By the way, I only talked about the loss in quality the OP may expect, did I recommend spending anything. I said I would limit my experience for a few 000 baht.

Seems you did not like my reply in another thread, so you try to be smart here, maybe get that skin thin tested.

Disingenuous. The OP doesn't have a decent TV and is therefore a loser? YOU wouldn't limit YOUR experience? Topic ain't about you.

Transfer the money to the OP for that decent TV. Use PM to get the account number.

• Confused 1