Electric Hedge Trimmer recommendations.............

EVENKEEL

Bought some for the wife before we had a gardener. No idea how she is still alive. She cut the wire clean in half twice, and the picked up the (still live) end to show me what she'd done. I must admit that, at the angles you'll be swinging the thing, its is VERY easy to cut the wire.

Think ours is / was Black & Decker. Not expensive. Goes rusty quickly but still seems to work (after repairing the cable, twice). No longer used and gardener is cheap, more convenient and safer.

22 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Bought some for the wife before we had a gardener. No idea how she is still alive. She cut the wire clean in half twice, and the picked up the (still live) end to show me what she'd done. I must admit that, at the angles you'll be swinging the thing, its is VERY easy to cut the wire.

Think ours is / was Black & Decker. Not expensive. Goes rusty quickly but still seems to work (after repairing the cable, twice). No longer used and gardener is cheap, more convenient and safer.

I've had the same one (Asgatec) for about 10 years and have also cut the cord a couple of times. I've found the secret is to have the cord over my shoulder which keeps it well away from the cutting action.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Denim said:

I bought this one on Lazada over a year ago as using shears was not doing my arthritis any good.  I wanted a battery model for simplicity, range  and ease of use.

Exactly what I needed. Has performed well and still going strong. As for sharpening ?  Not needed yet. Just a wipe down after use and a drop of oil ( provided ) on the blades before each cut. After my angle grinder this is my second most useful tool.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i3741273002-s14198588156.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1 

bandicam 2023-12-31 10-14-41-988.jpg

How long does it run before battery runs out? And is the power sufficient for anything more than a light trim?

4 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

I have a Makita hedge trimmer and a Black & Decker grass strimmer both excellent. Funny thing is I was outside an hour ago with my first cuppa and I thought I must cut the hedge tonight.

I ended up buying a cordless B&D edge trimmer after years of frustration with the old corded model not feeding the line or line continually breaking.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Morch said:

How long does it run before battery runs out? And is the power sufficient for anything more than a light trim?

I have not timed it so can't say. But when I use it I can cut all 4 hedges at our place ( about 40 meters chest high ) wiithout running out of juice. After each use I clean and oil the blades and immediately recharge the battery . I don't wait for the battart to run down. This way it has never died on me. But even it did I have 2 spare batteries from my blower that fit this as well. 

I gave up on cable run tools as too much hassle to get out the cable. However, if you really have a long garden and a head high hedge you can buy this with the 2 battery option so you won't run out of juice.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Morch said:

Bought similar off lazada battery lasted 2 years then would not charge, price of new half that of the trimmer. If you get one get with 2 batteries. Charge lasted about 30 mins, at first!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Denim said:

I have not timed it so can't say. But when I use it I can cut all 4 hedges at our place ( about 40 meters chest high ) wiithout running out of juice. After each use I clean and oil the blades and immediately recharge the battery . I don't wait for the battart to run down. This way it has never died on me. But even it did I have 2 spare batteries from my blower that fit this as well. 

I gave up on cable run tools as too much hassle to get out the cable. However, if you really have a long garden and a head high hedge you can buy this with the 2 battery option so you won't run out of juice.

1 hour ago, proton said:

Bought similar off lazada battery lasted 2 years then would not charge, price of new half that of the trimmer. If you get one get with 2 batteries. Charge lasted about 30 mins, at first!

Thanks for replies.

Larger area, so gear with cord is uncomfortable, and if battery doesn't last much, then guess it won't do the trick.

Maybe get one for Mrs. Morch, to do smaller jobs.

Just bought this. Haven't done much work with it yet. It feels solid. Just make sure you buy the 15 cells battery! I have the same battery for electric chainsaw and other machine. Same battery fittings as makita. I have almost totally stopped using cable machines now.

Trimmer.jpg.9696afb50e36ce6690cf392eff511ee7.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Buy battery.

You can buy a range of garden and workshop tools that all use the sam batteries.

I use the AEG brand for trade use here in Oz, Ryobi is a cheaper quality product and Milwalkie is the high end brand, all I believe are manufactured by the same company.

Stihl, Makita, Husquvarna are all quality tools and all offer the same battery versatility.

18v batteries/tools are more than powerful enough but you can step up to 58v versions for whipper snippets, chainsaws and lawn mowers.

Edit:

here in Oz AEG tools come with a 3 year warrantee on the tool and 1 year on the battery but if you register online it doubles both warrantees. 
Thats what convinced me to purchase and after 8 years I’ve got work and garden tools. 

Edited by HighPriority
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Pogust said:

Just bought this. Haven't done much work with it yet. It feels solid. Just make sure you buy the 15 cells battery! I have the same battery for electric chainsaw and other machine. Same battery fittings as makita. I have almost totally stopped using cable machines now.

Trimmer.jpg.9696afb50e36ce6690cf392eff511ee7.jpg

I'm not a fan of online shopping for these items. I know I'm outdated, but these days if I want a tool I'm willing to pay more for quality.

• Agree 1

On 12/31/2023 at 10:27 AM, toofarnorth said:

I have a Makita hedge trimmer and a Black & Decker grass strimmer both excellent. Funny thing is I was outside an hour ago with my first cuppa and I thought I must cut the hedge tonight.

Have a Makita too with two Batteries, excellent.

22 minutes ago, impulse said:

Just curious...  Has anyone actually sharpened theirs?  I just replaced the blades.  Which, of course, limits the choices to brands that I can find blades for.  

You might find that 1 blade will fit most ?

6 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Just went to mega home, do home and thaiwasado, limited choices. Guess it's lazada

Yes, that's what I found and what little choice they had was expensive as well. Took a chance with Lazada and it has worked out OK.

Personally wherever I bought I’d be looking for a name brand rather than a knock off/no name.

Reason being that you do become locked into the ecosystem and the name brands have tools that work better and more of them.

• Thumbs Up 1

So went to Global, they had a De Walt for 6500 thb, cool, oh no battery included, so another 1500 thb. Got a Black and decker with battery, bought a second battery, for 5000thb total.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

So went to Global, they had a De Walt for 6500 thb, cool, oh no battery included, so another 1500 thb. Got a Black and decker with battery, bought a second battery, for 5000thb total.

Happy days, now to make like the Texas hedgetrimmer massacre 🤣

27 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Happy days, now to make like the Texas hedgetrimmer massacre 🤣

I've been using hand clippers for 6 yrs and hedge always looked awful after I finished. Now, it's just so easy and straight.

• Agree 1