Using a 4 outlet USB hub for charging

I got one of those 4 outlet USB hubs you can put into one USB port and feed several different USB things like mem sticks, mouse etc

I guess they were designed for data sharing rather than charging.

I only have one USB port / charger in the car and wondering if I would be able to use this safely  to charge a couple of phones at once

and maybe dash cam? Its a fairly decent brand I think (Hoco)

25 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I got one of those 4 outlet USB hubs you can put into one USB port and feed several different USB things like mem sticks, mouse etc

I guess they were designed for data sharing rather than charging.

I only have one USB port / charger in the car and wondering if I would be able to use this safely  to charge a couple of phones at once

and maybe dash cam? Its a fairly decent brand I think (Hoco)

I think that the quickest and easiest way to find out would be to take your existing one from where it is, plug it into the car USB along with a couple of phones and try it out. I have a couple and one I use on the pc BUT only 1 output is USB 3 standard and the other outputs are USB 2 standards. Yours should be OK for charging mobile phones, but using on the pc USB runs slower than USB 3.

https://www.usr.com/education/usb3-peripherals/#:~:text=USB 3.0 cables facilitate the,power up to 500 mA.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

Any reason not to use a multi-outlet car charger in the "lighter" socket?

I did actually have one Crossy, well a few actually. The lighter out put is in the glovebox in a really bad area. The multi outlet needs to be at right angles. I found only one like that on lazada and 3 of them now broken. It had the lighter output for the dash cam and 2 USB ports. I guess I should try and get and extension lead style thing would be better

10 hours ago, Crossy said:

Any reason not to use a multi-outlet car charger in the "lighter" socket?

There is no reason not to use a multi-outlet car charger, I have a couple, however there is a limit to the amount of power that can be delivered, I have one similar to thisIMG_8108.thumb.jpeg.1543462968c621372e7c4a951d4e86a0.jpeg

though it as 2 USB C outlets and 2 USB A