Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Best HeavyDuty Rope for Clothesline? Available on Lazada, Preferably...

GammaGlobulin

Hi Folks,

I am about to purchase rope for two purposes, but not to hang myself up to dry, only my clothes, and only hang for exercising purposes.

a.  I need a strong clothesline.  One that must stretch for about 15 meters between two strong metal vertical posts.

b.  I also want to have some rope to make a chin-up bar out of rope and bamboo.

c.  I might want to also have some rope to attach to a truck tire so that I can pull it around the neighborhood, just for exercise.

So, what do you think might be the best rope for this purpose.

The rope will be exposed to the sun.  But, since I have a large metal awning, I think it might not get too wet.

I am thinking of other characteristics such as:

a. price

b. abrasion resistance

c. elongation

d. strength

e. breaking strength

f. moisture absorbency 

g. flexibility

h. weight

i. And, lastly, fatigue resistance

Have you already found the most suitable type of rope on Lazada for these purposes?

I would dearly like to know your reviews of various ropes.

Regards,

Gamma

Note: I know what you are thinking.  And I thought the same thing.  Anytime I consider the question of rope, I always first think of the Alfred Hitchcock film, ROPE.... (one of my favorite films)....

Hitch is so great.

Nobody can replace him, it seems, even after all these years.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

a. price

b. abrasion resistance

c. elongation

d. strength

e. breaking strength

f. moisture absorbency 

g. flexibility

h. weight

i. And, lastly, fatigue resistance

A hemp 

B hemp

C it depends less stretch, hemp. More stretch nylon anchor cable

D depends on diameter but hemp is good

E depends on diameter but hemp is good carbon fibre is probably the best 

F hemp has little

G nylon anchor cable is probably the best

H hemp has good strength to weight when dry

I again hemp is good, it’s often used for towing and anchor cables 

Hemp is available on Lazada but you really want at least a ⅓ rope and that is difficult to find I have found 8mm & 10mm but again you have to look hard for that

You probably want a ships chandler to get a reasonable selection and I haven’t had a need to find one, probably in Khlong Toay. You don’t want a yacht chandler as they probably won’t carry hemp

There are a large number of fibres that are used for rope making, that hemp has been in use for hundreds of years tells a tale.

i have a reasonable variety of them and have been doing knotting and rope work for 60 years and have taught adult outdoor camping staff leaders the few knots needed.

FWIW from the picture shown it is likely to be a cotton rope that was used though it doesn’t give enough definition to be other than a guess 

EDIT I did find 18mm and that is probably ok

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

A hemp 

B hemp

F hemp has little

Hemp is available on Lazada but you really want at least a ⅓ rope and that is difficult to find I have found 8mm & 10mm but again you have to look hard for that

You probably want a ships chandler to get a reasonable selection and I haven’t had a need to find one, probably in Khlong Toay. You don’t want a yacht chandler as they probably won’t carry hemp

There are a large number of fibres that are used for rope making, that hemp has been in use for hundreds of years tells a tale.

i have a reasonable variety of them and have been doing knotting and rope work for 60 years and have taught adult outdoor camping staff leaders the few knots needed.

FWIW from the picture shown it is likely to be a cotton rope that was used though it doesn’t give enough definition to be other than a guess 

EDIT I did find 18mm and that is probably ok

Just so you know, I have been spending much of the evening searching rope on Lazada.

What I would really like for a clothesline, stretching a long way between the two poles is something like this:

image.png.d99c96fbe235ed6458a0dad86285aa72.png

But, I cannot afford it, really, at Bt160.00 per meter.

That would make a heck of a clothesline.

I could hang clothe hangers from it with ease.

Good Rope is EXPENSIVE, as you probably know.

(I really HATE the flimsy clothesline that most women use.  I am a MAN, for sure, and I like things that have heft to them.  Good quality line that will last a long time and not fall apart in a stiff breeze.)

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Years ago, many years ago, I shipped out aboard a vessel plying the seas from Yokohama to Ras Tanura.  Plenty of rope in those days.

Anyway, I will take your advice and buy hemp.

Also, I like the cut of your jib.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

A hemp 

B hemp

F hemp has little

Note:  Very good and solid information in your comment, by the way....

So...Thank you.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Just so you know, I have been spending much of the evening searching rope on Lazada.

What I would really like for a clothesline, stretching a long way between the two poles is something like this:

image.png.d99c96fbe235ed6458a0dad86285aa72.png

But, I cannot afford it, really, at Bt160.00 per meter.

That would make a heck of a clothesline.

I could hang clothe hangers from it with ease.

Good Rope is EXPENSIVE, as you probably know.

(I really HATE the flimsy clothesline that most women use.  I am a MAN, for sure, and I like things that have heft to them.  Good quality line that will last a long time and not fall apart in a stiff breeze.)

While the rope you illustrate is certainly strong enough for the job, it’s breaking strength is about 3,000 kg depending on its construction, it is rope laid rope rather than cable laid rope. The problems you will have are 1st fastening it, you will need at least 1 eye splice and a thimble would probably be a good idea, but more importantly you will have to tension it and be able to re-tension it when it sags and tying knots in that size of rope needs you to know what you are doing. The 18mm rope is far better for the job and much easier to use, it’s breaking strain is about 2,000kg

As to price you are looking in the wrong places, a ship chandler will probably sell by the kg not metre and will likely be a fraction of the price you are looking at.

For hanging clothes you can certainly use rope but it isn’t good for the job SS or galvanised pole will do that job far better and at less ultimate cost, they will not need constant re-tensioning and are virtually unaffected by being outside in the sun and rain, though 2 metre lengths are the ideal. 

To tension (and maintain tension) on a 15 metre line is going to put a rather large strain on your posts and once you start hanging clothes on it, unless your posts are much stronger than I suspect they are, due to simple physics you are going to be adding a very significant load. I haven’t researched the exact information but on a stretched rope of 15 metres the strain on the poles is going to be large, probably tens if not hundreds of kg and once you load up your washing you have to multiply the weight of each item by a very large factor due to simple physics.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/rope-angle-tension-increase-d_1507.html

If you study square rigged ships, they have miles of rigging, you will never find a long horizontal rope with weight on the centre.

I did look in the bible of knotting but couldn’t find an illustration of the forces involved but it’s possible that your weight in the centre of a stretched 15 metre line will be sufficient to break the rope and will almost certainly bend the steel poles if they are not solid and at least 50mm+ in diameter.

So in short, don’t try it as a long clothes line. It’s good for your other purposes.

FWIW Manila and Hemp are synonymous 

Manila rope is made from the fibers of the abaca plant - "musa testilus" - Manila hemp.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/manila-rope-strength-d_1512.html

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

While the rope you illustrate is certainly strong enough for the job, it’s breaking strength is about 3,000 kg depending on its construction, it is rope laid rope rather than cable laid rope. The problems you will have are 1st fastening it, you will need at least 1 eye splice and a thimble would probably be a good idea, but more importantly you will have to tension it and be able to re-tension it when it sags and tying knots in that size of rope needs you to know what you are doing. The 18mm rope is far better for the job and much easier to use, it’s breaking strain is about 2,000kg

As to price you are looking in the wrong places, a ship chandler will probably sell by the kg not metre and will likely be a fraction of the price you are looking at.

For hanging clothes you can certainly use rope but it isn’t good for the job SS or galvanised pole will do that job far better and at less ultimate cost, they will not need constant re-tensioning and are virtually unaffected by being outside in the sun and rain, though 2 metre lengths are the ideal. 

To tension (and maintain tension) on a 15 metre line is going to put a rather large strain on your posts and once you start hanging clothes on it, unless your posts are much stronger than I suspect they are, due to simple physics you are going to be adding a very significant load. I haven’t researched the exact information but on a stretched rope of 15 metres the strain on the poles is going to be large, probably tens if not hundreds of kg and once you load up your washing you have to multiply the weight of each item by a very large factor due to simple physics.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/rope-angle-tension-increase-d_1507.html

If you study square rigged ships, they have miles of rigging, you will never find a long horizontal rope with weight on the centre.

I did look in the bible of knotting but couldn’t find an illustration of the forces involved but it’s possible that your weight in the centre of a stretched 15 metre line will be sufficient to break the rope and will almost certainly bend the steel poles if they are not solid and at least 50mm+ in diameter.

So in short, don’t try it as a long clothes line. It’s good for your other purposes.

FWIW Manila and Hemp are synonymous 

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/manila-rope-strength-d_1512.html

This is the BEST comment I have read on TV, thus far. 

My comments/posts don't even come close. 

Normally, one would need to braid a loop at the end of such a rope, or braid an end, etc. 

Laundry lines are often made from plastic coated polymer or steel rope. The plastic coating allows easy wipe over to avoid leaving marks on clothing and sheets. 

Plastic coated steel rope is available here but not sure how well it would hold up to UV exposure. 

We always had 3/16 in. vinyl covered wire rope spanning about 12 m anchored to 3 in. steel pipe “ T “ with a 6-8 in. tensioner. Pipe T was set about 3-4 ft deep in concrete.  Three runs of wire. Still standing and in use today. 

Edited by degrub

48 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Normally, one would need to braid a loop at the end of such a rope, or braid an end, etc. 

The first is an eye splice, the second a back splice, likely you may not know the terminology.
I have been practicing rope work as a hobby for about 60 years so should know a little bit about the subject,

this is the bible and my copy is about 60 years old

IMG_8110.thumb.jpeg.d32c80d8cf01c454cc0cc18bc98dd769.jpeg

it cost 84s when I bought it. Current US price $86

24 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The first is an eye splice, the second a back splice, likely you may not know the terminology.
I have been practicing rope work as a hobby for about 60 years so should know a little bit about the subject,

I think I ALREADY alluded to the Topic of Knots when I mentioned Hitchcock....

Half-Hitch 

Clove-Hitch

Rolling Hitch

And the all-time-favorite.... The BOWLINE!

What are you....a Day Man?, a First Mate?, a Yacht Builder?

Or something?

Just thinking out loud, here:

Instead of hemp, or SS pipe, what about surplus High-Voltage Transmission cable?

This stuff is built to last, and it has been tested in the mountains of Taiwan during Super Typhoons.

There must be some place to find a 12-meter piece that is being sold cheap.

There are plenty of high-voltage wires around my house, for example.

image.png.30bd4f00a3f5aa150f87c0520b6a9b45.png

I must admit...

This would make a heck of a clothesline....

image.png.8a4a455ec3694bea8f9afbf32e70a4fd.png

So, some sort of wire is probably the best way to go.

China sells High Voltage transmission wire, for example.

image.png.f8eb893f12791d7656cc25e18dd20d52.png

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, degrub said:

We always had 3/16 in. vinyl covered wire rope spanning about 12 m anchored to 3 in. steel pipe “ T “ with a 6-8 in. tensioner. Pipe T was set about 3-4 ft deep in concrete.  Three runs of wire. Still standing and in use today. 

Good.

But, this must have been for a commercial operation?:  36 meters of cable to hang clothes seems like a lot for home use.

3 minutes ago, degrub said:

One for birds, one for sheets, one for clothes.

Twice a week.

Large family, obviously.

Cleanliness is next to Godliness, it is said...

Think of the amount of electric power you saved by relying on the sun to dry all those clothes and sheets.

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I find it intriguing and interesting that you were able to hold onto this book for 60 years.

Faber published a number of great books over the years.

But, how does one hold onto a book for 60 years, I would like to know.

Wish I had done so.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I find it intriguing and interesting that you were able to hold onto this book for 60 years.

Faber published a number of great books over the years.

But, how does one hold onto a book for 60 years, I would like to know.

Wish I had done so.

Reference books are ones I will never let go & I have a few, there is no reason for getting rid of them. Other books are rather different and I have got rid of a some when I moved and only have about a dozen now. That is the first hardcover book I bought with my own money at about the age of 11 AFIR I paid for it with the proceeds of working on one of the Beetles movies, so it has immense value to me.