Sometimes, it can even work out quite well.

Well I think all in all you have made the lives of three people better.

Your stepdaughters have clearly thrived thanks to a good education, and you wife clearly has fully embraced her life in Europe

Best any of us can say is that our life on earth was a plus to those around us

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe your nearly 80?

Time is limited ,if I was you I would leave the Thai wife and go back to Thailand 

There was a guy who retired in my workplace at 75 ,he left his wife in Australia and went back to Macedonia to the farm ,she didn't want to go ,he still loved her just he wanted to pass on back in his home country,so leave her ,do it this year !!

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, swissie said:

I try to keep this short and to the point: Upon marriage, I promised my Thai wife that I will pay for all educatinal expenses concerning my 2 stepdaughters. Regardless how our marriage would go. I was very well aware in what poverty my wife grew up and I diden't want that this pattern repeats with regard to the stepdaughters. Over the years it cost me a pretty penny. The result: They both made a stellar career in banking, investing their money wisely, becoming "rich".

Upon new year, I received a message from the stepdaughters. Stating, that without my financial help they could not have advanced to "affluence" in Thailand. Offering me free and unlimited lodging in any of their 8 real estate holdings plus paying for my private health insurance in Thailand.

Only problem is, that my Thai wife is not willing to return to Thailand on a permanent basis under any circumstances. End of story, I guess.

The point: In spite of a long list of "negative Thai stories", sometimes it can turn out quite well, granted that a 2 year "grace period" before marriage is adhered to and the Thai lady and their offspring never show any sighns of "floosiness" during that time.

"Floosie"? Google is your friend.

Well done !      Do the daughters have children?

Get yourself a Non-O married visa at your local Thai embassy and "nudge" the wife into a vacation. A couple of months back in Thailand living in "Not Poverty" and visiting her daughters may take some of the sour off her memories and add some sweet to her new ones. :wai:

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

There are certainly many positive stories such as yours happening. Just seems the dumpy stories make better headlines.

Still, congratulations are in order. Well done. 

• Agree 1

You did well for your family. Helping the daughters to be successful.  And the daughters now wanting to make your life comfortable.  
Maybe you can compromise with the wife .  You can suggest possibly staying in Thailand a certain amount of time each year.

Dont listen to the comments about leaving her.  If you are happy in your marriage you can compromise.  

On 1/6/2024 at 4:45 AM, georgegeorgia said:

I believe your nearly 80?

Time is limited ,if I was you I would leave the Thai wife and go back to Thailand

Do you not think that the offer from the OP's children of free accommodation and covering medical insurance expenses might be at risk if he suddenly says "(deleted) your mum, she can look after herself. I'm coming to Thailand and leaving her"?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

Do you not think that the offer from the OP's children of free accommodation and covering medical insurance expenses might be at risk if he suddenly says "(deleted) your mum, she can look after herself. I'm coming to Thailand and leaving her"?

HaHa 😁👍. You've got to remember georgegeorgia is the guy who thinks it's amusing to remind his older work colleagues, friends and virtual strangers that their likely to die in the near future. I wouldn't be surprised if he was blackballed by the Samaritans.

I took his comment as a deliberate attempt to troll a positive happy story.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/6/2024 at 8:11 AM, charleskerins said:

Well done !      Do the daughters have children?

Only 1 granddaughter. A 6 year old rascal.  Her parents and I set up some "Education Account" for her.

I discovered, that my monthly contributions only amout to about 30%. The rest comes from the parents. Over time, I must have become the "poor European relative".:clap2:

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 2:32 PM, mrwebb8825 said:

Get yourself a Non-O married visa at your local Thai embassy and "nudge" the wife into a vacation. A couple of months back in Thailand living in "Not Poverty" and visiting her daughters may take some of the sour off her memories and add some sweet to her new ones. :wai:

She visits the daughters 1 month a year. Always glad to return back to Europe. She claims, that after over 20 years in Europe, Thailand is for her just a tourist destination and if it wasn't for the daughters, she would have very little reason to visit Thailand again.

A compromise may take effect: I might stay in Thailand for 3 months a year (Winter). The kids will have to pay for the best (temporary) health insurance for me. Otherwise I won't go as my health is getting "fragile".

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/7/2024 at 2:05 PM, JayClay said:

I was going to post that, but never got around to doing so.

I'd say that is a given.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, swissie said:

She visits the daughters 1 month a year. Always glad to return back to Europe. She claims, that after over 20 years in Europe, Thailand is for her just a tourist destination and if it wasn't for the daughters, she would have very little reason to visit Thailand again.

A compromise may take effect: I might stay in Thailand for 3 months a year (Winter). The kids will have to pay for the best (temporary) health insurance for me. Otherwise I won't go as my health is getting "fragile".

If it's a matter of where the healthcare is better and the finances to pay for it, you may want to approach her that way. Surely after you've given her multiple years of Euro-life, she can reciprocate in your last years. After all, she can always return to Europe as a widow.