USB wifi adaptor for linux

norbra

I have installed Mint alongside windows,all went well but when I boot from mint, no wifi.

Help with finding a suitable adaptor would be appreciated as my current one worked perfectly in windows.

Thanks for any suggestions.

37 minutes ago, norbra said:

I have installed Mint alongside windows,all went well but when I boot from mint, no wifi.

Help with finding a suitable adaptor would be appreciated as my current one worked perfectly in windows.

Is it a dual band adapter realtek chipset (can check this in windows device manager and which driver version it is)? if so linux mint kernel 5.15 does not contain realtek chipset dual band wifi kernel drivers and the drivers need to be installed or update mint with a later kernel (min kernel 6.2 version)which contains the realtek dual band drivers (I think the latest kernel update for Mint is version 6.6)

You can use a single realtek 2.4G usb adapter or a lan connection to connect the network and then either install the realtek dual band out of kernel drivers or update the kernel (min 6.2) and then you can use your dual band wifi adapter.

Wifi adapters with Mediatek chipsets single and dual band wifi are supported quite well in linux.

This github site has lots of info on the adapters chipsets for linux.

https://github.com/morrownr/USB-WiFi/blob/main/home/USB_WiFi_Chipsets.md

Edited by freeworld
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Is it a dual band adapter realtek chipset (can check this in windows device manager and which driver version it is)? if so linux mint kernel 5.15 does not contain realtek chipset dual band wifi kernel drivers and the drivers need to be installed or update mint with a later kernel which contains the realtek dual band drivers.

You can use a single realtek 2.4G usb adapter or a lan connection to connect the network and then either install the realtek drivers or update the kernel and then you can use your dual band wifi adapter.

Wifi adapters with Mediatek chipsets single and dual band wifi are supported quite well in linux.

I have kernal 5.4.

Please be gentle as I haven't looked at Unix for 30 years,did an HP operators course.

My current adaptor is. Realtek 8811CU

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, norbra said:

I have kernal 5.4.

Please be gentle as I haven't looked at Unix for 30 years,did an HP operators course.

My current adaptor is. Realtek 8811CU

OK kernel is old, the wifi chipset 8811CU is supported in the kernel now (after 6.2)

Need to connect to the internet, do you have access to a 2.4g adapter or a lan connection?

I think the easiest is just update the kernel from software update kernels in mint.

1 hour ago, norbra said:

Try using the following from the command line as a sudo user.  The mint installation may not have installed the driver for your type of laptop.

sudo apt install bcmwl-kernel-source

Good luck.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Open Linux and update your software. I also have Mint and no problem with WiFi. Once updated try your WiFi again

34 minutes ago, Rodwil said:

Try using the following from the command line as a sudo user.  The mint installation may not have installed the driver for your type of laptop.

Good luck.

Many failures connecting to server.

Have found an old DLink adaptor which works fine but has wifi signal issues,poor weak connection. I have just tried to install Ubuntu kernel Sudo add-apt-repository PPA:canonical-kernel-team/PPA with no luck

1704525400653359011100091579875.thumb.jpg.52fbff36ecdb398da5b7a053bc66f75f.jpg

Edited by norbra

43 minutes ago, Rodwil said:

Good luck.

That is for broadcom chipsets. The wifi adapter 8811CU is a realtek chipset.

35 minutes ago, norbra said:

Many failures connecting to server.

Have found an old DLink adaptor which works fine but has wifi signal issues,poor weak connection. I have just tried to install Ubuntu kernel Sudo add-apt-repository PPA:canonical-kernel-team/PPA with no luck

1704525400653359011100091579875.thumb.jpg.52fbff36ecdb398da5b7a053bc66f75f.jpg

You have linux mint, need to install mint kernels.

Available from update manager in linux mint.

-Need an internet connection

-Click start and open update manager in mint

-Go to ''view'' tab at top

-Select the kernels option

-Chose the kernel (6.5 or 6.6) in the left column and click update.

Let it run its course install and then reboot.

In a terminal type uname -r and it should show you what kernel is being used.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, freeworld said:

You have linux mint, need to install mint kernels.

Available from update manager in linux mint.

-Need an internet connection

-Click start and open update manager in mint

-Go to ''view'' tab at top

-Select the kernels option

-Chose the kernel (6.5 or 6.6) in the left column and click update.

Let it run its course install and then reboot.

In a terminal type uname -r and it should show you what kernel is being used.

Ok thanks for this info,now d/l 6.5 by ethernet. Dragged the router from the closet many things becoming more obvious now.

Thanks again

Edited by norbra
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, norbra said:

Ok thanks for this info,now d/l 6.5

All good, once installed plug in your usb wifi 8811cu and reboot that should be working in dual (2.4 and 5G) band then.

Edited by freeworld

14 minutes ago, norbra said:

Ok thanks for this info,now d/l 6.5 by ethernet. Dragged the router from the closet many things becoming more obvious now.

Thanks again

Ok now have kernel 6,5 and stable wifi with Realtek adaptor 

• Like 2