Sriracha Panich Yellow Chilli Sauce - New low for thai logic or something else?

eyeman

Just browsing around the big shop today and noticed a bottle of hot sauce, incidentally it's the same one that appears in Foodland restaurant condiment tray since a few weeks ago, it is tasty so was going to take one home, No MSG added label so that's fine, price ok, until I looked at the ingredients.. which explicitly says MSG, can anyone decipher what's going on here? or have we reached a new TIT :cheesy:

It's this one https://www.tops.co.th/en/sriracha-panich-yellow-chilli-sauce-230g-8851954113733?

hotsauce.jpg

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

That's interesting, but I would of thought it would be ingredients specifically added listed only, I'll have a google, this reminds of the nearby lady that had No MSG signs all over her cook-to-order shop but most of brown sauces in the kitchen I saw had MSG added to it - I learnt to remember the designs and cap colors of the ones to avoid after some helpful translating

Edited by eyeman

7 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I just looked up INS260, which is also on the list of contents. It's a preservative and acidity regulator.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Numbering_System_for_Food_Additives

What is the connection between the ingredient INS 260 and MSG (monosodium glutamate), the substance the OP is cocerned about?

3 minutes ago, Puccini said:

What is the connection between the ingredient INS 260 and MSG (monosodium glutamate), the substance the OP is cocerned about?

The connection is that it appears on the same label of contents, and the product declares that no preservatives are added.

20 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I just looked up INS260, which is also on the list of contents. It's a preservative and acidity regulator.

It's acetic acid - in other words, vinegar.  No big deal.

21 hours ago, eyeman said:

I looked at the ingredients.. which explicitly says MSG

I guess you can't read Thai.  The phrase actually reads (in transcription) mây sày phǒŋchuurót MSG meaning "no add MSG".  There's no added MSG in it at all.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I guess you can't read Thai.  The phrase actually reads (in transcription) mây sày phǒŋchuurót MSG meaning "no add MSG".  There's no added MSG in it at all.

Why the hell would you put that in the ingredients list? Isn't there a global and logical expectation that ingredients are what's included, and ordered by absolute quantity, bizarre

Edited by eyeman