Will sending 800k for ret. VISA trigger a tax liability in Thailand?

46 minutes ago, 3421abc said:

I am reading a lot lately about this new tax laws targeting mostly foreigners and income overseas. 

My question is... if I bring in 800k baht for the retirement visa will trigger a tax liability here? 

I already pay taxes in the US. Being taxed here again would be a deal breaker for me. 

If you have already paid tax on those monies and can account for that under the DTA.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/form-6166-certification-of-us-tax-residency

Edited by freeworld
  • Thanks 1

You will have to file a Thai tax return, get a tax number here and report the incoming transfer.  You can account for double taxation on the Thai tax return. Eventually you will have to report your world income on the Thai tax return as Thai tax authorities will have this information already thanks to CRS started by Obama.  If that doesn't help your decision then you can breathe the toxic air here most of the year and I mean toxic.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

1st this is Not the place to answer these questions.  Thai Revenue Dept has still Not answered these questions as of this date 1 9 2023 that I am aware.

2nd. The first 60,000 baht, first 150,000 is No taxes as it is a standard deduction under current tax rules. 210,000Baht

You are US citizen, US Thai Tax Agreement and how Thailand will apply tax to certain US Foreign Income is Not decided, yet.

I would talk with trusted CPA Accountant, maybe Thai Tax/Law professional until Thai Revenue Dept provides details for US Foreign Income.

Remember you are not a tax Resident of Thailand until 180 days or you meet criteria defined in US/Thai Tax Agreement 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2