cctv to prevent farm theft

The gf family farm is under constant attack from petty theft .      Fish from the ponds one week and something else another week.    We are thinking of installing some kind of cctv camera  with maybe a small solar / battery set up .    She wants some kind of sd card storage 

any thoughts

What will you do with the footage?

Recording to a SD card may be a bit fruitless, wouldn't the thieves just take the cameras? With solar panels you are advertising their location.

Im currently playin with off-grid long range PIR sensors. I would rather know when thieves are entering the property and use the sensors to trip floodlights.

For me, I want a would-be thief to see the number of cameras as a deterrent, the PIR sensors are just for fun, I hope I never catch anyone, it would be on the same system as my greenhouse monitor system.

What kind of distance is the farm, how far away are the ponds / scene of crime.

Edited by recom273

Thank you recom 273.    Distance maybe 1/4 mile maybe less.    I had similar thoughts about sd card.   I was thinking of putting something on a tall heavy duty bit of steel pipe  concreted in the ground.          

9 hours ago, surreybloke said:

Thank you recom 273.    Distance maybe 1/4 mile maybe less.    I had similar thoughts about sd card.   I was thinking of putting something on a tall heavy duty bit of steel pipe  concreted in the ground.          

I think you got to start somewhere, 1/4 mile isnt so big.

My main concern would actually catching someone, then what happens? There seems to be a reluctance of anyone to do anything further (like village headman or police).

Put some solar floodlights ontop of the pole along with your cameras further down, and some motion sensors and see what happens.

The optimal distance for a post mounted CCTV camera is 2.5m off the ground .. maybe enclose the whole thing in a metal box. They have traffic cameras around my way in metal boxes and the locals way with dealing with it is to take the post, box and camera for a walk, the experiment is never to be tried again.

Hope you have an idea on how to get the footage from the sd card every day. I have a dash cam with sd card and I thought to download the footage of a python crossing the road, it was going to take hours to download direct to my phone, that's my only experience with a wifi camera.

Hope you get everything sorted.

• Thumbs Up 1

The gf s sister has a daughter who in turn is co habiting with one of the local cops and possibly one of the better brown shirts.  To be honest i wonder about the power of naming and shaming.     

CCTV was not designed to "prevent" crimes from happening, just to record them as they happened. If your gf's family want to prevent them from stealing, then perhaps a wall/fence around the property may be the solution, considerably more costly, I know.

People here don't seem to be into naming and shaming. There seems to be a tendency to solve these issues in a calm manner. 

If her family have lived with this for years, then why are you getting involved in their way of life (not trying to provoke you, it is a genuine suggestion). 

I wouldn't get involved unless the criminals were stealing from me. 

Not really getting involved.   Trying to provide a little support.   The brown shirts appear to like naming and shaming. 

The annoying thing is there are 3 women (sisters) who are looking after this land.   If there were 3 brothers would it be different.

A lot of foreign earned money has been spent . 

I sometimes wonder if foreign money appears to being spent on houses and farms if it causes some resentment with the locals.