Inconsiderate neighbour spraying pesticide using generator.

I think you and your wife handled the situation admirably well. It took me well over a decade of trial and error to realize that the non-confrontational conversational approach generally works best in resolving disputes with neighbors.

It's hard to picture what he has rigged up to spray his orchard, but it sounds like it's pretty high pressured and may be resulting in over spray. If the odor is especially strong, I would try to find out what he's spraying and talk to him about making sure he isn't using an excessive concentration of the chemical. The other thing that might be worth looking into is using a drone to spray. I doubt there are any laws about spraying in a residential area, but if he is using a jerry-rigged spraying device that results in excessive airborne pesticide, you might be able to get help from puu yai or local officials to get him to change his application equipment. 

Edited by Gecko123
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

I think you and your wife handled the situation admirably well. It took me well over a decade of trial and error to realize that the non-confrontational conversational approach generally works best in resolving disputes with neighbors.

It's hard to picture what he has rigged up to spray his orchard, but it sounds like it's pretty high pressured and may be resulting in over spray. If the odor is especially strong, I would try to find out what he's spraying and talk to him about making sure he isn't using an excessive concentration of the chemical. The other thing that might be worth looking into is using a drone to spray. I doubt there are any laws about spraying in a residential area, but if he is using a jerry-rigged spraying device that results in excessive airborne pesticide, you might be able to get help from puu yai or local officials to get him to change his application equipment. 

Its really high powered. He was standing there yesterday inside his land with his motorcycle helmet on and spraying upwards. It was drifting everywhere outside his land towards me. 

Its a tricky situation bc the house we propose to build is so close to his area. 

Actually I feel he is trying to force our hand and pay big money for his land. He is already asking 3 times its worth. They are quite weird and the other end of the scale compared to educated thais that Ive met.  I just have to keep being friendly and dont think too much. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, advancebooking said:

Its really high powered. He was standing there yesterday inside his land with his motorcycle helmet on and spraying upwards. It was drifting everywhere outside his land towards me. 

Its a tricky situation bc the house we propose to build is so close to his area. 

Actually I feel he is trying to force our hand and pay big money for his land. He is already asking 3 times its worth. They are quite weird and the other end of the scale compared to educated thais that Ive met.  I just have to keep being friendly and dont think too much. 

I think I know the apparatus he's using, even though I've never looked at one up close. Farmers usually use it to spray pesticides and it shoots a stream about eight meters. It's usually mounted on some type of trap wagon and another guy manages the long hose and sprays the crop. It's much more efficient than using a backpack sprayer, but from what I've seen, the guy doing the application is getting a very high exposure to pesticides in the process, especially if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction. I've never seen that apparatus used to spray trees, especially in a residential area. Because he's spraying vertically rather than horizontally, I imagine the possibility of overspray is quite high, again, especially if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction. A mist of pesticide over your car, outdoor furniture, swimming pool, vegetable garden, etc. isn't exactly healthy, especially if there are children in the household. I don't know what to tell you. Pesticide applications kind of come with the territory in rural Thailand, but due to the proximity to your house, that guy needs to be actively exploring ways to minimize overspray and annoyance of his neighbors. Reducing the concentration of application, reducing the pressure of the spray stream, reducing the atomization of the application, paying careful attention to wind direction, or giving advanced notice (not just 10 minutes beforehand) are possible ways to reduce your exposure.