2024 COLA Letter

I received my 2024 COLA letter from the SSA yesterday here in Khon Kaen.

Of course, I already knew the amount because of the 03 January payment.

I do use this for proof of income to Immigration.

Still waiting on mine in CM. BTW, my understanding is that the Jan payment is actually for Dec 2023. If you don't get the COLA letter (lost in the mail, whatever) you wont know until Feb what your 2024 amount is. 

On 1/11/2024 at 2:42 PM, lexilis said:

Still waiting on mine in CM. BTW, my understanding is that the Jan payment is actually for Dec 2023. If you don't get the COLA letter (lost in the mail, whatever) you wont know until Feb what your 2024 amount is. 

Yes, the COLA increase is effective 1 Dec 2023 and payable Jan 2024...so, your Jan payment does reflect the COLA increase.

18 hours ago, Pib said:

Yes, the COLA increase is effective 1 Dec 2023 and payable Jan 2024...so, your Jan payment does reflect the COLA increase.

OK, thanks. The COLA increase started 1 Dec. was in the Jan deposit. As I understand it, the Jan deposit was for the month of Dec 23. However I have STILL not received the COLA letter (in CM). I am still a bit worried that my payments will stop in Feb (payment for Jan and first deposit for 2024) for some unknown reason. We will see. 

9 minutes ago, lexilis said:

OK, thanks. The COLA increase started 1 Dec. was in the Jan deposit. As I understand it, the Jan deposit was for the month of Dec 23. However I have STILL not received the COLA letter (in CM). I am still a bit worried that my payments will stop in Feb (payment for Jan and first deposit for 2024) for some unknown reason. We will see. 

Yes, by law the SSA COLA increase begins 1 December and that pension benefit month of December is paid in Jan.  Each monthly SSA pension a person gets is really payment for the previous month.  Kinda like working a job where you get paid once a month....you don't get paid for that month until the last day or more likely the first few days of the following month.

The wife and I got our COLA notices in the mail here in Bangkok around the middle of last week....I don't remember the exact day.  I expect yours will show-up soon. 

But even if your upcoming 3 Feb payment was suspended like maybe because Wilkes Barre not getting a 7162 "I'm Still Alive Form" from you that would not have any effect on your COLA letter generated/mailed in December as it's telling you about the COLA increase, what you new payment amount will be, etc., regardless of whether your payment might get suspended around mid January.  Just two separate administrative procedures.   HQ SSA (the Baltimore Int'l Ops Office) does not generate suspensions until the early-mid Jan period. 

If you don't have a SSA Online acct to see if your acct is suspended, a Feb payment already planned, etc., you could call SSA at their 1800 number to find out.   Or you could email Manila SSA Office----but you may not receive a reply from Manila for weeks or possibly ever based on my personal experience for some questions.   Years back Manila use to respond well within two weeks to requests; but now they typically take significantly longer.    Cheers.

Thank you Pib for the helpful and informed response. I get it: two separate issues. I sent the 7162 in back in June or so and did NOT get a separate, follow-on 7162 in Sept or Oct so I assumed they got it. If the Feb deposit does not show up I will have to go through the reinstatement process which will be a real drag for a couple of months but it will not be a catastrophe. Thanks.

Pib: BTW, regarding the online My Social Security account, my understanding (from a few years ago when I tried) is that you cannot get an account if you have a non-US address. Is that (still) true?

9 minutes ago, lexilis said:

Pib: BTW, regarding the online My Social Security account, my understanding (from a few years ago when I tried) is that you cannot get an account if you have a non-US address. Is that (still) true?

I don't think so.  Now to register for an SSA online acct you need to first pass an identity verification process with ID.me or Login.gov.   I recommend using ID.me.

Once passing an identity verification I'm fairly sure you can create a MySSA online acct...or it will be created automatically when logging on via ID.me or Login.gov which is now acting as a portal for logon to MySSA and various other govt website logins.....govt website that now use ID.Me and/Login.gov.