Want Meter Cab, What Level?

International arrival and want meter cab. When you exit customs there are a bunch of high priced folks trying to sell you a limo ride etc. I always say want meter cab and they all turn as cold as ice. But as I wander around and try to find the METER TAXI STAND I always go several levels before I find it.

IS THE TAXI STAND ON SAME LEVEL AS ARRIVALS? IS THAT THE SECOND LEVEL?

thx

LLL :o

International arrival and want meter cab. When you exit customs there are a bunch of high priced folks trying to sell you a limo ride etc. I always say want meter cab and they all turn as cold as ice. But as I wander around and try to find the METER TAXI STAND I always go several levels before I find it.

thx

If I take a taxi, I go up to the Departures level and catch one that's just dropping off someone, saves 50 baht surcharge. Make sure they hit the meter in the first few moments or call 'em on it. That way you can bail if they try the flat-fee.

thx

LLL :D

If I take a taxi, I go up to the Departures level and catch one that's just dropping off someone, saves 50 baht surcharge. Make sure they hit the meter in the first few moments or call 'em on it. That way you can bail if they try the flat-fee.

Goto 4th floor in departures and get a taxi from there or if you are as crazy as my friend who came yesterday and went downstairs and paid 50 baht extra for nothing. He thinks he is the smartest guy.

For meter dont worry, if the driver does not start the meter, he has to accept the fact that he will not get anything from you, forget about flat fee, there is no such thing, unless u agree in advance.

Also make sure that the meter is either start from the time u took the taxi or not started at all (not suggested though). In short, the meter must have been reset before you start otherwise, you have to pay you fare plus the other passenger's fare too. :o

OK let me explain further, The cabs at the taxi stand are somewhat regulated as a registered cab. I would think that is some kind of security. I will pay that extra B50 for that. My friend is comming for first time and I want him to have a cab at the taxi stand outside on the curb.

I have had a report that the stand is on the bottom floor. DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF THE STAND IS ON THE BOTTOM FLOOR. I have spent too much time looking on layouts of airport etc for this taxi stand.

I do not think the stand is logically on the Arrival Floor Level.

Could we not discuss any further about how to get a bargan on a taxi. WHERE IS THE TAXI STAND?

Do I have to get Weho involved in this!

LLL

There are 2 meter taxi stands on the ground floor. 1 at each end, below where domestic and international arrivals would exit on the floor above.

Thanks so much. That makes two folks saying the ground floor for the taxi stand.

Now if we could just get that put on the airport info guide to help anybody else.

Thank God we did not have to get Weho involved!

LLL

My friend is comming for first time and I want him to have a cab at the taxi stand outside on the curb.

1 : You should have mentioned that earlier

2 : Why not get a cab to the airport and pick him up yourself?

Could we not discuss any further about how to get a bargan on a taxi. WHERE IS THE TAXI STAND?

Nice demonstration of gratitude towards those helping you with such a menial question

Is your friend so inept that he cannot find a taxi rank without implicit instructions?

i went from airport recently to pattaya

limo on arrivals wanted 3500 baht

touts on kerb outside 2500 baht

went to taxi table on bottom floor and

got a meter taxi for agreed fee of 1000 baht

to go into bangkok it should only cost maximum

400 baht inc the 50 baht for taxi table

From the AoT website:

Public Taxi (24 Hour Service)

* Contact Taxi Counter, Level 1, near Entrances 3, 4, 7 and 8.

* Pick up area: taxi stand Level 1

* Traveling expenses: metered taxi fare plus 50 Baht surcharge, and expressway fees.

As of 5 July 2007 the official metered taxi stand(s) remain on level 1. They were supposed to move up to level 2 but that hasn't happened, and I'm not certain when it might, if ever.

Since the airport opened I was heading up to level 4 to catch a taxi, more to avoid waiting in line. I did this maybe 14 times, up until an arrival in mid-May. That evening there were dozens of official police types patrolling the area and aggressively denying access to taxis. I did see one foreigner jump in a taxi but it was stopped and he was forcefully removed. I haven't seen any similar reports so maybe this was a one-off occurrence? On my my last two arrivals I just went to the official taxi stand as I didn't want to waste time heading up to level 4 only to potentially find no access.

GET DOWN ONE LEVEL.

After exiting customs push away any tout hindering your path, take travellator down one floor, walk straight out , look for official taxi stand (have two depending where you exit - B or C from international, A from domestic) Tell your destination to stand employee, take and keep note with driver name and vehicle license number, make sure meter is switched on (showing 35 baht)

Hope this helps. (don't stick your third leg in the door).

GET DOWN ONE LEVEL.

After exiting customs push away any tout hindering your path, take travellator down one floor, walk straight out , look for official taxi stand (have two depending where you exit - B or C from international, A from domestic) Tell your destination to stand employee, take and keep note with driver name and vehicle license number, make sure meter is switched on (showing 35 baht)

Hope this helps. (don't stick your third leg in the door).

I am surprised that the Taxi Mafia is still running the "Mercedes taxi scam" at the new airport. It has already been exposed for what it is......and it is not making tourists happy. There must be a very powerful person behind it.

The last time I was at the airport I ignored every effort to direct me to the taxi mafia scam (at the arrival level) and went upstairs to the departure level......I waited for a meter-taxi to let some people off and then waived it down as it was leaving......fast and easy.

That may cost the driver his taxi license. They are not allowed to take passengers from that level.

Goto 4th floor in departures and get a taxi from there or if you are as crazy as my friend who came yesterday and went downstairs and paid 50 baht extra for nothing. He thinks he is the smartest guy.

Changi airport has 5 S$ (or 3S$?) taxi surcharge and I can not imagine anyone trying to dodge it, not even backpackers.

For meter dont worry, if the driver does not start the meter, he has to accept the fact that he will not get anything from you, forget about flat fee, there is no such thing, unless u agree in advance.

Load of <deleted>.

"Plan A": Seven years and hundreds of taxi rides and I still have to see one single driver who would not turn on the meter. Especially from the airport where all taxis are registered on entry (and that is why it is stupid to hail them at Level 4, only then they are free to cheat if they feel like, nobody knows they were there and nobody sees them starting with a meter off).

"Plan B": You will never need it unless you request that the meter is off and offer 100B at the end. You can do that, especially if you travel without any, even hand-luggage. Then, expect to answer a few questions in Thai at a nearest taxi, motosai or tuk-tuk stand.

thx

Are you kidding me?

The taxi stand is not near arrivals?

Who's running this goofy airport?

Bloody good post.

Could not the mickey mouse management of the airport think of such a simple and essential question?

Get them to Changi and rub their nose into the most efficient airport taxi stand on the planet.

thx

Are you kidding me?

Bloody good post.

Could not the mickey mouse management of the airport think of such a simple and essential question?

Get them to Changi and rub their nose into the most efficient airport taxi stand on the planet.

TTM,

The initial plan was NOT to have taxis at all at the terminal!!!

You would have to wait and take a free shuttle bus to Transportation Centre hailing your luggage in/out the bus (same at Paris Charles de Gaulle between underground/fast train station) some kms away from terminal. A real time saver that would have been. Fortunately :o AOT was made to change his mind by the openening time, but for some mysterious reason (the AOTscam limos) they made them wait for customers one floor down, brilliant.

TTM, you stayed at my Chumpon place some years ago.

Edited by tartempion

thx

Are you kidding me?

Bloody good post.

TTM,

The initial plan was NOT to have taxis at all at the terminal!!!

You would have to wait and take a free shuttle bus to Transportation Centre hailing your luggage in/out the bus (same at Paris Charles de Gaulle between underground/fast train station) some kms away from terminal. A real time saver that would have been. Fortunately :o AOT was made to change his mind by the openening time, but for some mysterious reason (the AOTscam limos) they made them wait for customers one floor down, brilliant.

TTM, you stayed at my Chumpon place some years ago.

Hi, I remember you and your lady well. I heard from a mutual friend that you have moved into anew house in Isaan.

Yes, taxis were not meant to be there at all, it was a fuss in the media about it.

AOT limos are not bad, brand new 4WD Isuzu, used them 3 times, 700B. Better than battered Volvo for that same money.

However, the AOT limos are few and nobody would ever think they can replace thousands of taxis. There could be a war between them and Volvos.

Isn't it obvious?

Someone arranging the ground transportation must be lining their pockets with kickback from the Limo Tout Crew?

Allowing them to mislead/harrass customers is disgusting.

Probably best if the AOT was run by experts from outside Thailand.

Too much graft. The place is out of control.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently took a cab from departures. The meter was disconnected so therefore couldn't be switched on. I only noticed a few hundred metres into the journey. He asked for 400 for what would have been 140 Baht on the meter so I got him to stop on the elevated road leaving the airport. Fortunately, I didn't have much in the way of luggage so I just hailed another cab.

Here's a related point. If taxis are not allowed to pick up passengers in departures, how come a) they all do and :o there are no signs.

They want to use a flat rate all the time now. We visited last week arrived at the airport went down to the rank as normal told them the normal hotel on Suk Rd, Soi 11. 400baht was the reply. I thought for a second and I know this isn't far of the actual cost but I responded 'Erm no just the meter thanks. ' That was it bag in cab, meter on, off we went - 340 baht in all in the journey cost.

I then gave a 40 baht tip since this was the first ever taxi I'd caught from the airport who didn't try to inflate the cost of the fare - the figure he said was what I worked out in my head.

That's a disgrace. They shouldn't ask for a flat fee. In 4 arrivals on Suvarnabhumi last february/march, not once did they ask for a flat fee. 400 baht to go to Klong Tan, which is not more then 150 baht on the meter + 50 baht airport surcharge, and no need for toll ways.

Might actually be worthwile to go upstairs, if the official taxi queue is trying to pull this bullshit.

That's a disgrace. They shouldn't ask for a flat fee. In 4 arrivals on Suvarnabhumi last february/march, not once did they ask for a flat fee. 400 baht to go to Klong Tan, which is not more then 150 baht on the meter + 50 baht airport surcharge, and no need for toll ways.

Might actually be worthwile to go upstairs, if the official taxi queue is trying to pull this bullshit.

Woah there cowboy! Just so you know they change the fee according to where you are going - I overheard a few folks in front being quoted various amounts for a flat fee.

When I say flat fee - it means all in toll fees/airport fee/tip nothing extra required. Not just 400baht anywhere you want to go.

Right, still not the way to do it. It should be meter + airport surcharge + tollways (if needed).

I mean I do pay the 50 baht for their services. If they try to charge me a flat fee, I will go upstairs and just get one there, as I'm sure most of them will just put on the meter. I mean I have no problem paying the 50 baht for their service, but not if the quote me a flat fee.

Woah there cowboy! Just so you know they change the fee according to where you are going - I overheard a few folks in front being quoted various amounts for a flat fee.

When I say flat fee - it means all in toll fees/airport fee/tip nothing extra required. Not just 400baht anywhere you want to go.

While they do vary the fee, it is more than the meter plus tollway plus tip would cost. In another thread it's been stated to be a scam with the taxi stand attendants getting 20 baht to quote a fixed fee. My last taxi ride was a fixed 400 baht fee which I assumed was a new policy. Since I tip pretty well from the airport, it ended up being about 40 baht more than I would normally pay for the same ride on a meter basis plus toll.

While they do vary the fee, it is more than the meter plus tollway plus tip would cost. In another thread it's been stated to be a scam with the taxi stand attendants getting 20 baht to quote a fixed fee. My last taxi ride was a fixed 400 baht fee which I assumed was a new policy. Since I tip pretty well from the airport, it ended up being about 40 baht more than I would normally pay for the same ride on a meter basis plus toll.

Agree - like I say I refused the flat fee and told them put the meter on. It's certainly a scam though since unless you know the journey you're about to make you can only take there word on how much the trip would cost. So people visiting for the first time could be scammed by the 'Limo touts' before they leave arrivals, the touts waiting in arrivals or at the official stand - not pretty is it!

I seem to remember they announced to move the taxi rank up one level, and get rid of the limo touts, but of course this might mean loss of revenue for AOT. And indeed I have seen those touts air side as well. Unbelievable, when you arrive, you first have to get rid of the touts airside, then say NO a few times in arrivals, then find your way down to the taxi rank, just to be quoted a flat fee. Which I believe is against the law anyway. As they are required to put on their meters when driving to a BKK destination.

It seems that the number of scams at Suvarnabhumi is increasing. There were also reports of 'rogue" customs officials, bothering people AFTER they have already cleared customs.

thx

Also make sure that the meter is either start from the time u took the taxi or not started at all (not suggested though). In short, the meter must have been reset before you start otherwise, you have to pay you fare plus the other passenger's fare too. :o

i read your post, then read your name, and it all made sense. :D

I used to stay at the JW Marriot on Suk Soi 2 very regularly say about 4/5 years ago and the scams from DM were crazy then. The taxi meter was about Bt230 all in but they would try everything including not going through the tobacco monopoly when being told to do so.

At Swampy, I had my taxi fail to arrive so I had to get one to Pattaya. Blabbing away about Bt2000 and some other crap, then Bt1800 then Bt1600. I was knackered after a day trip to Singsing so I agreed Bt1500. Get to the toll booth and the <deleted> asked for Bt100 tolls. I just told him in my broken Thai / English that the tolls were only about Bt65 anyway and that it was an all in deal.

The final nail in his coffin was he could not even find Pattaya. I don;t mean an hotel or a particular soi, not even Pattaya ! I had to navigate all the way to my condo from about 25km outside Pattaya. Absolute joke.