Chicago's progressive mayor Brandon Johnson claims REPARATIONS will help tackle 'the cycle of violence' amid a 17 per cent surge in crime

Crime is all about socioeconomic conditions in the main. How did a large city with a large black population become a hotspot for crime? And for decades? Oh, I know. Decades of unequal opportunity driven by racism.

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Crime is all about socioeconomic conditions in the main. How did a large city with a large black population become a hotspot for crime? And for decades? Oh, I know. Decades of unequal opportunity driven by racism.

Racism is just an excuse for poor behavior. 

Just now, ozimoron said:

Yes, racists constantly engage in poor behavior. Hate crimes mostly. Far worse than looting.

I've worked in black neighborhoods before, so I've seen their racism first hand. Hate crimes were very prevalent there.  

4 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I blame Trump and the location of Chicago smack dab in the middle of "MAGA Country"!

Politics in Chicago through most of the 20th century was dominated by the Democratic Party. Organized crime and political corruption were persistent concerns in the city. Chicago was the political base for presidential nominees Stephen Douglas, Adlai Stevenson II, and Barack Obama, who was nominated and elected in 2008.  (Wikipedia)

4 hours ago, Trippy said:

I've worked in black neighborhoods before, so I've seen their racism first hand. Hate crimes were very prevalent there.  

Unfortunately, most of the hate seems directed at other black people. Crime as a whole does not cross racial boundaries very much. The majority of black crime victims are victimized by black criminals. Same with white folks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

Unfortunately, most of the hate seems directed at other black people. Crime as a whole does not cross racial boundaries very much. The majority of black crime victims are victimized by black criminals. Same with white folks. 

I wonder if that's a culture thing, or a proximity thing?