Changing from Non O Retirement to non O Marriage

Last year I had Retirement based on monthly deposits. This year I had one month that was over 45k but less than 65k so I applied for Marriage extension. Denied. Immigration said I must meet the 800k or 65k/month when changing from Retirement to Marriage. This was news to me. I have had 24 consecutive extensions, some based on marriage, some on Retirement. Never had this problem before. Can someone enlighten me on this particular ruling.

OP (imo) you need to exit Thailand and obtain a new non O. 

In other words you need start over as you did not maintain the financial requirements for current extension. 

Also unless your embassy provides embassy income letter you would need to use money in bank method.

You could chat with an agent to check out your options

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP (imo) you need to exit Thailand and obtain a new non O. 

In other words you need start over as you did not maintain the financial requirements for last extension. 

Also unless your embassy provides embassy income letter you would need to use money in bank method.

You could chat with an agent to check out your options

I think this is the simplest answer.

You have sufficient monthly deposits to qualify for the marriage extension (always over 45K) using the income method, but I would keep the 400K in the bank as a backup method, until your income method is confirmed.

1 hour ago, mackayae said:

Immigration said I must meet the 800k or 65k/month when changing from Retirement to Marriage

Of course.

Your current extension is based on retirement. However you have not maintained the financial requirements.

• Agree 1

When I changed over to marriage NON O 5 few years ago I had to leave Thailand to cancel out my retirement NON O, then enter on a 30 days waver and start the marriage O application from start.

( Pathum Thani Imm )

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dayo202 said:

When I changed over to marriage NON O 5 few years ago I had to leave Thailand to cancel out my retirement NON O, then enter on a 30 days waver and start the marriage O application from start.

( Pathum Thani Imm )

That should not have been necessary.

Were your extensions (retirement) done using an agent?

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That should not have been necessary.

Were your extensions (retirement) done using an agent?

Yip, Pattaya agent... Immigration ( Pathum Thani )spoke to the wife saying that the retirement NON O needs to be cancelled out and start from scratch.

I need start a post on here at the time, I'm guessing about 5 years ago.

9 hours ago, mackayae said:

Last year I had Retirement based on monthly deposits. This year I had one month that was over 45k but less than 65k so I applied for Marriage extension. Denied. Immigration said I must meet the 800k or 65k/month when changing from Retirement to Marriage. This was news to me. I have had 24 consecutive extensions, some based on marriage, some on Retirement. Never had this problem before. Can someone enlighten me on this particular ruling.

Harsh decision in my opinion.

If using the monthly transfers to a Thai bank, you need to provide the previous 12 months record of the 12 x 65K transfers, which you obviously did to obtain the 1-year extension you currently hold.

Even with one transfer not meeting the 65K monthly transfer requirement, you more than meet the requirement for an extension based on marriage having the previous year's record of over 40K 12 monthly transfers.

This is one of those situations where I would insist on speaking to the senior IO, explaining the fact using the monthly transfer method your extensions are based on the previous 12-month record, not the proceeding year's anticipated monthly transfers.

57 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

As I guessed few posts above.

The OP used an agent and hence required a new non O to start over

The OP @mackayae made no such statement to using an agent.

It was @dayo202 who confessed to using an agent.

My reply, which you quoted, was to the OP.

Confusious or what!  :smile:

Did not use an agent. However they did say what Dayo202 stated above. I did have over 400k in bank and 12 months of 40k+/month. However when I got a Marriage extension 2 years ago they just gave it to me and never mentioned starting over again with a new visa from the Laos embassy. Maybe the rules have changed.

3 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

2 years ago you had complied with all the requirements for your then current visa... now you have not maintained those requirements.

In both cases I had 400k in bank plus 40k/month for 12 months.

14 hours ago, Liquorice said:

This is one of those situations where I would insist on speaking to the senior IO, explaining the fact using the monthly transfer method your extensions are based on the previous 12-month record, not the proceeding year's anticipated monthly transfers.

Would that be wise? 

The senior IO could then explain the fact that OP is not in compliance with his current extension, and if he continues to "insist" on special treatment, he could be fined, and possibly have his current extension immediately cancelled and then be deported for immigration violations.

Seems like the IO is giving him a break for not imposing penalties, and simply letting him run out the clock on his soon-to-expire extension.

Edited by NoDisplayName
Stupid atuo-spill-czech!

On 1/15/2024 at 1:21 PM, DrJack54 said:

That is not necessarily the case. If the OP has 12 consecutive monthly deposits of over 40K he can use that for an extension on a new visa.

It may be another office variable but my office did it on one of my extensions.

18 hours ago, mackayae said:

In both cases I had 400k in bank plus 40k/month for 12 months.

You answered your own question with your own statement..."Last year I had Retirement based on monthly deposits. This year I had one month that was over 45k but less than 65k so I applied for Marriage extension."

You were in violation of your retirement visa by falling below the 65k/mn that it was based on... so according to immigration rules that visa was void... had you kept your end of the retirement visa agreement your application for a visa based on marriage would have probably been accepted... 

sorry i did not read in detail all the above posts. OP, 2 years ago I changed from retirement to marriage with absolutely no hassles. I had done my 2 previous retirements in Pattaya via an agent and finally i changed to marriage in rayong no agent. for some reason... there are ABSOLUTELY NO AGENTS HERE.  i really dont get it... 15 years in rayong and never found any agent. anywho, i had the money in the bank so i dont know if that made a difference. maybe up there in the thread someone mentioned this prior

If I am reading this correctly, if you apply for retirement extension, you have to produce 12 monthly deposits of 65k plus maintain 12 monthly deposits of 65k for the year after the extension is granted.

Edited by mackayae

24 minutes ago, mackayae said:

If I am reading this correctly, if you apply for retirement extension, you have to produce 12 monthly deposits of 65k plus maintain 12 monthly deposits of 65k for the year after the extension is granted.

No.

Using income method for retirement you must show monthly transfers of 65k+

The money can be used (withdrawn) straight away.