Importing Used Household Items On Retirement Visa

chickencurry

Understand the official rule is that you cannot without paying customs duties. Also understand from another topic (from geoffphuket) that some on retirement visas are managing to bring their used h/hold items in duty free. (Actually tried to post on that topic under visa section but seems to be "closed")

Can anyone advise what they've heard or recommend any removal firms familiar with procedure?

Was a couple of years back but I brought in some stuff that was legally to be duty free..

Once customs realized its value they just ransommed it back.. No amount of 'this is the law' was having any effect even with a lawyer and later a Phuket native helped.

Understand the official rule is that you cannot without paying customs duties. Also understand from another topic (from geoffphuket) that some on retirement visas are managing to bring their used h/hold items in duty free. (Actually tried to post on that topic under visa section but seems to be "closed")

Can anyone advise what they've heard or recommend any removal firms familiar with procedure?

We found Asia Tigers,Bangkok , very efficient and competitive;

but in spite of all our possessions being second hand ,customs still wanted (illegally) 25,000bht to allow progress!

The 'official' position is made quite clear on various Web sites including Thai consulates in UK and the Thai Customs Department's own Web site. If you have a valid one-year work permit or a one-year extension of non-immigrant O visa for retirement purposes (retirement visa), you can bring in used personal and household effects without paying customs duty.

Operationally, some rules are applied: the shipment should arrive after you do; you need to have the WP or the 12 m 'retirement visa' in your passport before you do the clearance (ie you shouldn't do the clearance while these are still pending); you are only eligible for the duty-free concession in a six-month 'window' after your original arrival. In addition there are some limitations on the number of domestic appliances of each type that you can bring in duty-free (one refrigerator would be OK, two might not be), private motor cars are not part of this deal and are a very complex subject of their own, some electrical appliances (such as fax machines) might be considered office equipment rether than household effects and thus be judged dutiable, and high-value items, such as antiques or works of art, might not be accepted as household affects and might thus be dutiable.

Some retirees fail to meet all of these requirements and naturally get charged legitimate duty. Those who do meet all the requirements do generally seem to succeed in getting the duty-free concession applied to their household effects. It seems that a couple of secrets here are: (i) use an experienced shipper in Bangkok to handle the contact with customs (ie have your shipment coordinated from the Bangkok end; do not use an overseas shipper and so have to depend on whoever happens to be his local agent in Bangkok); (ii) provide a detailed inventory of what is in every box in your shipment - don't generalise and don't leave it to customs to guess.

Having said all that, even if your whole shipment still qualifies for duty-free admission, your shipper will almost certainly have to pay a significant administrative or processing fee to customs on your behalf to complete the clearance. This seems to be a well-established practice with Thai customs, as indeed it is in many other countries. So don't get too upset about it - it's one of the things that you accept if you want to come and live here.

I'm planning to pass through this very process myself in the next few months as I finally relocate for good to LOS on retirement. I will be able to fill about half a 20 ft container and will meet all the theoretical requirements for duty-free. I've planned my shipment (from UK) through AGS Four Winds in Bangkok who seem to be well recommended. I'll trust my Bangkok shipper to minimise what I have to pay at customs, but I know there'll be something to pay. I'll be happy to post the result here when it happens.

The 'official' position is made quite clear on various Web sites including Thai consulates in UK and the Thai Customs Department's own Web site. If you have a valid one-year work permit or a one-year extension of non-immigrant O visa for retirement purposes (retirement visa), you can bring in used personal and household effects without paying customs duty.

Operationally, some rules are applied: the shipment should arrive after you do; you need to have the WP or the 12 m 'retirement visa' in your passport before you do the clearance (ie you shouldn't do the clearance while these are still pending); you are only eligible for the duty-free concession in a six-month 'window' after your original arrival. In addition there are some limitations on the number of domestic appliances of each type that you can bring in duty-free (one refrigerator would be OK, two might not be), private motor cars are not part of this deal and are a very complex subject of their own, some electrical appliances (such as fax machines) might be considered office equipment rether than household effects and thus be judged dutiable, and high-value items, such as antiques or works of art, might not be accepted as household affects and might thus be dutiable.

Some retirees fail to meet all of these requirements and naturally get charged legitimate duty. Those who do meet all the requirements do generally seem to succeed in getting the duty-free concession applied to their household effects. It seems that a couple of secrets here are: (i) use an experienced shipper in Bangkok to handle the contact with customs (ie have your shipment coordinated from the Bangkok end; do not use an overseas shipper and so have to depend on whoever happens to be his local agent in Bangkok); (ii) provide a detailed inventory of what is in every box in your shipment - don't generalise and don't leave it to customs to guess.

Having said all that, even if your whole shipment still qualifies for duty-free admission, your shipper will almost certainly have to pay a significant administrative or processing fee to customs on your behalf to complete the clearance. This seems to be a well-established practice with Thai customs, as indeed it is in many other countries. So don't get too upset about it - it's one of the things that you accept if you want to come and live here.

I'm planning to pass through this very process myself in the next few months as I finally relocate for good to LOS on retirement. I will be able to fill about half a 20 ft container and will meet all the theoretical requirements for duty-free. I've planned my shipment (from UK) through AGS Four Winds in Bangkok who seem to be well recommended. I'll trust my Bangkok shipper to minimise what I have to pay at customs, but I know there'll be something to pay. I'll be happy to post the result here when it happens.

Filer

I found your post extremely interesting and pertinent. I have a 1 year extension to a non O visa on retirement basis - extension was the first & granted in May this year. I expect my shipment to be arriving around end September. My shipment consists of nothing out of the ordinary or new. I expect to be back in Thailand in late August. I've also arranged the shipment through AGS Four Winds in Bangkok. It would seem therefore that I meet all the requirements that you have uncovered.

My questions are

1) The AGS man, otherwize very helpful, and despite my asking him specifically about what I might face in customs duty never told me that there were these possible exemptions. Just kept saying that they would try to minimize the cost. Perhaps at a later stage they would have gone into this. But it may be better if I bring this to their attention straight away. Did they seem informed and in agreement with you on this law/regulation?

2) I presume customs will take the date of the 1-year renewal (in my case May) as the date from which to define the 6 month window (ie in my case to November). This seems obvious and logical; but I raise it because of the term "original arrival" that you use. Of course my original arrival under the original o visa was considerably earlier. Can you please just clarify this matter of the operative date?

3) Some of my things have been packed by me already - in suitcases and cartons - and I was intending to simply tell the packers what was in them in ...well, general terms. They would then label the bags and add to the inventory accordingly Other things are still lying around for them to pack when they arrive. Are you suggesting I would be much better off if they repack and itemize things? I wouldn't want to do that as it might take too long (and they would bill me for the time) because I will have a full 20 ft container load.

I would greatly appreciatge your comments.

Very interesting replies and I am wondering if the rules have changed recently. I have looked at the "official" position at http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng and this was also posted under the visa forum section by lopburi3. I won't quote the whole thing but whilst it certainly says that non-Thai residents changing residence into Thailand are eligible to bring used/secondhand household effects into Thailand, in reasonable quantities, free of taxes and duties (under Item 1), right at the bottom of the page there is a Note which states "Nonresidents entering into the Kingdom with a non-immigrant visa "code O" who wish to retire in Thailand or accompany spouses of Thai residents are NOT qualified for (1). In other words, not valid for retirees.

We're just going through the quotation stage for removal quotes (moving from Singapore to Phuket at end of year). We've asked the question to all 3 firms we've approached. VanPac have completely ignored question (no idea who they use in Bangkok). AsianTigers also ignored the question. Both these companies covered themselves with an exclusion clause (customs duties not included in quote). The only firm who is really looking into it is Helu-Trans (part of BAL-Trans) (they have their own firm in Bangkok and Singapore). They've not quoted yet but they are saying that it looks that the shipment will NOT be duty free but are now re-checking with customs. I've no doubt money will change hands in the process, but question is how much.

Also, interested in lotus eater's comments re the 6-month window. We're also curious about this. From what we can make out we will be arriving within the 6-month window but our shipment will not.

The items should arrive in a 6 month window after your arrival..

It didnt matter what was said.. They spread 10's of 1000 of USD worth of audio and home theater equipment around outside (not rain covered) in an unsecured area where people where walking in and out.. When I still tried to argue that the law said it came in tax free they looked at my 7500 USD worth of marble speakers and said "maybe we have to break those open to look inside them".. Nice bargaining tactic !!

All the agents I used were useless.. The best they got it down to was 60k baht under the table.. I went and got the boss during a lunchbreak (so he didnt have to share it with anyone) and got it agreed for 15k cash.. A small sum of money but a week of really nasty stress.

but how do they work out your "arrival date"? Presumably our "arrival date" was when we obtained our non-immigrant O visa (though we are not moving "permanently" to Phuket till later in the year).

LivinLOS - are you saying that you had to travel to Customs in Bangkok for the "settlement" or was this done after being trucked to Phuket?

but how do they work out your "arrival date"? Presumably our "arrival date" was when we obtained our non-immigrant O visa (though we are not moving "permanently" to Phuket till later in the year).

LivinLOS - are you saying that you had to travel to Customs in Bangkok for the "settlement" or was this done after being trucked to Phuket?

I air freighted direct into Phuket.. All done and point of import. Cargo zone at HKT..

My wife (not paper) was outside of Thailand for 5 years prior to her returning here and was due for tax free status.. I had a one year non imm O (but it was in her name)..

I air freighted direct into Phuket.. All done and point of import. Cargo zone at HKT..

My wife (not paper) was outside of Thailand for 5 years prior to her returning here and was due for tax free status.. I had a one year non imm O (but it was in her name)..

I have since learned, that cheating Farang (white European) seems to be a national past time, but to cheat, screw and completely strip someone of almost 4 million Baht ($ 100,000.oo us) in less than 2 years' time must seem some kind of record.

It started soon after my coming here and began with the shipment of my belongings.

Prior to my arrival in March of 2004 I contracted with an American shipping company in Los Angeles to have a 1 cubic meter container, weighing about 240 kg, containing assorted household goods and memorabilia to be shipped from the east coast of the US to my home here. The price seemed fair, everything went as planned.

3 1/2 weeks later I received a telephone call from a Mr. Kittipong who introduced himself as the Thai agent of the US forwarder. "Hello, your container has arrived here in Bangkok and is ready for pickup by you." "You must be kidding", I said. "I am not going to drive 1000 km to retrieve this thing. Ship it to my home here in Khao Lak and if there are any additional charges let me know." (A fellow I know in Tap Lamu, a harbor town about 12 miles from here had a ship Diesel motor weighing 4 tons shipped there from Bangkok for 1,800 Baht, so how much could it cost) "No, you need to mail me your passport first" was his reply " No way José, I am not sending my passport to just anybody, but wait; My newly found Thai friend Suwan Ramkew, also known as Mr. T. and his brother will be driving to Chiang Mai for Songkram next week, I will have them stop by and hand you the passport." 2 days later I get a call from T stating that this guy needs 8000 Baht for "expenses" but they didn't have that much cash on hand. I wired them the money, they handed the creep my passport, as well as the 8000 Baht and his assurance that everything will be ready for pickup when they return. 3 days later I get an e-mail from this chap saying my container is now in Phuket because the truck could not negotiate the narrow roads in Khao Lak. What narrow roads ??? Route 4 ain't exactly a dirt path. I e-mailed the man back and told him: OK, forget it. I will have the container picked up in Phuket, just tell me where. Another few days passed. Then another e-mail: Your container is with the authorities at the pier in Bangkok ready for release to you. We will not release the container as well as your passport until the following charges have been paid.

Pier fee: 3,500 Baht

Handling: 4,800 Baht

Transportation: 26,000 Baht

Customs fees: 12,600 Baht

Miscellaneous: 5,200 Baht

Grad total: 52,100 Baht

At the pier in Bangkok ? Are we talking about the same container which was supposed to be in Phuket ??

I sent two guys with a rental truck on a 3 day trip to Bangkok. Expenses, fuel including overnight, meals etcetera another 14,000 Baht.

The container sat on the pier. It had not been moved one inch.

Welcome to Thailand.

whilst it certainly says that non-Thai residents changing residence into Thailand are eligible to bring used/secondhand household effects into Thailand, in reasonable quantities, free of taxes and duties (under Item 1), right at the bottom of the page there is a Note which states "Nonresidents entering into the Kingdom with a non-immigrant visa "code O" who wish to retire in Thailand or accompany spouses of Thai residents are NOT qualified for (1). In other words, not valid for retirees....

See my interpretation of Pat Pong's post below. If I'm right this would be consistent with Filer's earlier post - that the retiree must be on an extended "O" visa.

but how do they work out your "arrival date"? Presumably our "arrival date" was when we obtained our non-immigrant O visa (though we are not moving "permanently" to Phuket till later in the year)....

If it's the extended visa that's relevant then, as I wrote in my previous post, I'm assuming it's the first arrival under the extended visa.

It is an extended visa and a work permit that are the legal requirements for any tax consideration at all.

I hope your post amended as below is a correct statement of the position.

"It is an extended O visa or a work permit that are the legal requirements for any tax considerations at all."

Also, interested in lotus eater's comments re the 6-month window. We're also curious about this. From what we can make out we will be arriving within the 6-month window but our shipment will not.

in my case nobody cared about a "window". we were in Thailand for nearly a year (non-O retirement basis) when our container arrived.

whilst it certainly says that non-Thai residents changing residence into Thailand are eligible to bring used/secondhand household effects into Thailand, in reasonable quantities, free of taxes and duties (under Item 1), right at the bottom of the page there is a Note which states "Nonresidents entering into the Kingdom with a non-immigrant visa "code O" who wish to retire in Thailand or accompany spouses of Thai residents are NOT qualified for (1). In other words, not valid for retirees....

Sorry to throw more confusion into the argument re taxed or not taxed, but here is my own experience.

My wife and I arranged for our 'used household goods' to be shipped from the UK by 'Coles Removals' of London.

They took quite a while to arrive, because Coles were trying to keep the cost down, by combining other peoples goods in the same 40 foot container. The goods duly arrived in Bangkok after we had already obtained our ' Retirement Visa's'. The date of arrival at BKK was worrying because it was the start of a 4 day holiday ( the water festival this year).

A thai friend contacted 'Asian Tigers' the local handling agents here in Thailand and told me to send copies of my passport/retirement visa and 'Blue Book' to them, which I did by e-mail. I later received a call from the manager of Asian Tigers requesting that I send them my passport - which I reluctantly did via the secure mail system ( who's name I have forgotten) which cost about 70 Baht. Two days later, I received a phone call to say that our container would be arriving at our house in Hua-Hin in two days time.

WE DID NOT, I REPEAT NOT PAY ANY IMPORT DUTY, OR GREASE ANYBODY'S PALM.

The container arrived at 0730 (two hours early) from BKK with the ORIGINAL SEAL INTACT and two hours later a group of smart, polite, and extremely hard working people from Asian Tigers arrived at our house and proceeded to unpack EVERYTHING for us. They removed all the packaging and left some 4 hours later - having placed all the goods wherever my wife asked them to. My passport was returned in a sealed envelope by the original driver and we did not have one single item broken or damaged.

If anybody requires names etc of contacts of any of the above companies I am more than happy to post them for you.

I have had NO dealings with either companies prior to the above, but can obviously recommend them.

I also used Asian Tigers.

I had made it very clear that I don't want to be troubled by custom clearance discussions!

They need the passport in the morning (they collect it at the hotel) end it was returned the same day.

NO money (not one setang!) was paid to them.(we also had the common clause in our contract about being responsible for any custom clearance amount)

We had a 40 ft container full loaded.

May be the invoiced amount was already covering for these kind of "expenses"? :o

This was end 2004

in my case nobody cared about a "window". we were in Thailand for nearly a year (non-O retirement basis) when our container arrived.

When was this?

This is useful because one has to take a view of customs and also the expertize/contacts of the shipping company's personnel - currently.

Sorry to throw more confusion into the argument re taxed or not taxed, but here is my own experience.

My wife and I arranged for our 'used household goods' to be shipped from the UK by 'Coles Removals' of London.

They took quite a while to arrive, because Coles were trying to keep the cost down, by combining other peoples goods in the same 40 foot container. The goods duly arrived in Bangkok after we had already obtained our ' Retirement Visa's'. The date of arrival at BKK was worrying because it was the start of a 4 day holiday ( the water festival this year).

A thai friend contacted 'Asian Tigers' the local handling agents here in Thailand and told me to send copies of my passport/retirement visa and 'Blue Book' to them, which I did by e-mail. I later received a call from the manager of Asian Tigers requesting that I send them my passport - which I reluctantly did via the secure mail system ( who's name I have forgotten) which cost about 70 Baht. Two days later, I received a phone call to say that our container would be arriving at our house in Hua-Hin in two days time.

WE DID NOT, I REPEAT NOT PAY ANY IMPORT DUTY, OR GREASE ANYBODY'S PALM.

The container arrived at 0730 (two hours early) from BKK with the ORIGINAL SEAL INTACT and two hours later a group of smart, polite, and extremely hard working people from Asian Tigers arrived at our house and proceeded to unpack EVERYTHING for us. They removed all the packaging and left some 4 hours later - having placed all the goods wherever my wife asked them to. My passport was returned in a sealed envelope by the original driver and we did not have one single item broken or damaged.

If anybody requires names etc of contacts of any of the above companies I am more than happy to post them for you.

I have had NO dealings with either companies prior to the above, but can obviously recommend them.

I'm using AGS and hope they and their contacts are as good. But again, when was your shipment?

I've just seen the red foot-note in the Thai Customs English-language Web pages which appears specifically to exclude retirees from the duty-free concession for household effects, but I also see that this was picked up by Chicken Curry earlier in this thread.

This is directly counter to what is being communicated orally and in writing by Thai consulates in the UK (and to the experience of many posters to this thread, it seems).

I wonder whether the aim of the footnote, which reads

"Note : Nonresidents entering into the Kingdom with a non-immigrant visa "code O" who wish to retire in Thailand or accompany spouses of Thai residents are not qualified for (1)"

is simply to clarify that you get the concession only when you are approved for 12m stay and have the first 12m extension, and that you can't get it on your initial 90 day visa, even though that may be annotated for retirement purposes. This is a point which the Thai consulates make: you have to show the 12m non-immigrant visa to get the concession.

Is there a Thai-reading member of this forum who could check the Thai version of the Customs text for some of us who are worried that the underlying intent is now to exclude retirees? The English text is at:

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/House...nuNme=HouseHold

I have a niggling worry that the red foot-note may be a recent amendment which heralds a plan to start taxing retirees more in order to offset other losses in Customs revenues.

On a more general level, after further absorbing all the good postings by other members on this thread, I think that the key points which stick in my mind are:

1. Use a good Bangkok-based shipper who understands the Thai Customs procedures. Don't risk an overseas shipper with an unknown local handling agent in Bangkok.

2. Have a reasonably detailed packing list of what you are sending, to make it easy for Customs to see that your goods are all within limits - and reduce the risk that they may want to assume otherwise or start opening up your packaging to check.

3. Let the receiving shipper in Bangkok do the Customs Clearance (you have to provide him with your passport etc). Don't attend to the clearance in person. This seems often to cause complications.

4. If you are a retiree, aim to clear you shipment in the 6 month window apparently allowed after you arrive in Thailand (although there seesm to be some flexibility here)..

I've just seen the red foot-note in the Thai Customs English-language Web pages which appears specifically to exclude retirees from the duty-free concession for household effects, but I also see that this was picked up by Chicken Curry earlier in this thread.

This is directly counter to what is being communicated orally and in writing by Thai consulates in the UK (and to the experience of many posters to this thread, it seems).

I wonder whether the aim of the footnote, which reads

"Note : Nonresidents entering into the Kingdom with a non-immigrant visa "code O" who wish to retire in Thailand or accompany spouses of Thai residents are not qualified for (1)"

is simply to clarify that you get the concession only when you are approved for 12m stay and have the first 12m extension, and that you can't get it on your initial 90 day visa, even though that may be annotated for retirement purposes. This is a point which the Thai consulates make: you have to show the 12m non-immigrant visa to get the concession.

Is there a Thai-reading member of this forum who could check the Thai version of the Customs text for some of us who are worried that the underlying intent is now to exclude retirees? The English text is at:

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/House...nuNme=HouseHold

I have a niggling worry that the red foot-note may be a recent amendment which heralds a plan to start taxing retirees more in order to offset other losses in Customs revenues.

On a more general level, after further absorbing all the good postings by other members on this thread, I think that the key points which stick in my mind are:

1. Use a good Bangkok-based shipper who understands the Thai Customs procedures. Don't risk an overseas shipper with an unknown local handling agent in Bangkok.

2. Have a reasonably detailed packing list of what you are sending, to make it easy for Customs to see that your goods are all within limits - and reduce the risk that they may want to assume otherwise or start opening up your packaging to check.

3. Let the receiving shipper in Bangkok do the Customs Clearance (you have to provide him with your passport etc). Don't attend to the clearance in person. This seems often to cause complications.

4. If you are a retiree, aim to clear you shipment in the 6 month window apparently allowed after you arrive in Thailand (although there seesm to be some flexibility here)..

Yes the clause is puzzling. I was in two minds whether to put this thread on this forum or the Visa forum (as it related to both Phuket and Visas) and now wish Lopburi3 was viewing this as I'm sure he'd know the answer - any Moderators who can help ??!

We used 7 seas from the UK, they are all over the world, no problem at all, included electronics, power tools, bone china etc etc

A number of posters report satisfactory shipment, but don't say if that means they paid no customs duty or didn't mind paying what they were billed. Secondly they don't give the date of their shipment - rules can change over time.

I have argued the point a couple of days ago with AGS - and they are as experienced as any company in Thailand, and they insist that there is no exemption for a foreigner without a work permit. The best you can hope for is that the shipper will negotiate an acceptable sum with customs.

I have just raised this point by email with the Thai Consul at Hull in UK, whose detailed Web pages (www.thaiconsul-UK.com) state explicitly that 12m 'retirement visas' qualify for duty free shipments (alongside those other 12m visa and work permits). I'll post the Consul's response here. I note that their Web site pages are dated January 2006, so it may well be that the latest official position in Bangkok as communicated by AGS (retirees do not qualify) is a recent change - meaning that Thailand does not really want retirees.

• 3 weeks later...
I have just raised this point by email with the Thai Consul at Hull in UK, whose detailed Web pages (www.thaiconsul-UK.com) state explicitly that 12m 'retirement visas' qualify for duty free shipments (alongside those other 12m visa and work permits). I'll post the Consul's response here. I note that their Web site pages are dated January 2006, so it may well be that the latest official position in Bangkok as communicated by AGS (retirees do not qualify) is a recent change - meaning that Thailand does not really want retirees.

Did they reply?

Did they reply?

Yes, but we don't have their answer yet. I mailed them on 25 Jul, and again on 5 Aug in view of no response. On 6 Aug Guy Taylor (presumably the consul's son or relative) emailed me back to assure me that they had my query and that it had already been pased to Alan Taylor the Consul, but that Alan was away on holiday until 14 Aug, ie yesterday. I'll keep chasing them for a reasoned answer and will keep forum members updated.

AGS took my stuff last week. They told me I'll certainly will have to pay customs, but they hoped not too much, ie 20-30k baht. My container contents didn't make sense to ship on a value vs. cost basis but on a personal value basis they did - books and personal items. Let's see what I'm hit for in Bangkok in a month or two.

We used 7 seas from the UK, they are all over the world, no problem at all, included electronics, power tools, bone china etc etc

A number of posters report satisfactory shipment, but don't say if that means they paid no customs duty or didn't mind paying what they were billed. Secondly they don't give the date of their shipment - rules can change over time.

I have argued the point a couple of days ago with AGS - and they are as experienced as any company in Thailand, and they insist that there is no exemption for a foreigner without a work permit. The best you can hope for is that the shipper will negotiate an acceptable sum with customs.

Hi everybody. Just got back to this thread and see that people want know when my shipment was - it was receved here in Hua-Hin 14th April 07 and to answer a previous question NO we did not pay ANY customs duty whatsoever to anybody. The total cost of our Door to Door shipment fro the UK was approx £1400 via Coles and Asian Tigers.

We also were given information by the Consul in Hull, that in his opinion we should NOT have to pay import duty once we had obtained our retirement visas and provided we imported within the 6 month timeframe.

My experience:

Non-imm ‘O’ and WP. Goods sent within six month window. Early 2006.

One large home-made wooden crate containing a Miele washing machine and drier (GBP 1,000 each in UK, equivalent of GBP 3,000 in LOS) B&O audio gear, speakers, big guitar amp and speakers, children’s toys, books. Only one of each type of item. Kept photos of contents in-situ in UK home, along with an accurate inventory.

Sent by sea with DHL; UK door to Bangkok port. Cost about GBP 250.

Notified of arrival. DHL local office wanted about GBP 500 for ‘clearance.’ Declined.

Attended in person with my fierce Thai secretary (Who takes no Sierra-Hotel-One-Tango from anyone).

Were asked for various ‘fees’ which were politely but firmly refused. Ended up paying a few Baht - from memory about 2,000. A few hundred at one desk, wait, walk over there, pay 20 Baht at another. So it went on. Took about four hours in total.

Box unopened and undisturbed. Took it away on a pickup.

I’m infuriated and really sorry to read that others have been so badly ripped-off. Good luck!

Well, my shippers AGS who claim to be the biggest and most established of such companies in Thailand flatly denied the possibility that cheshiremusicman's experience could apply now - though it apparently did only some months ago.

As to size of shipment, mine was 17 cubic metres packed loosely into my own container (this was the method put to me) and is costing me £3500 incl vat - door to door from Paris to Chiang Rai. To which I will have to add whatever customs have to be paid - told to expect around £350-400. (I hesitate to ask how many cubic metres musicman's shipment

I expect this is expensive - even if not a 'rip-off' but I had to have the things sent, and quickly.

(Jingjok's case is different as he has a work permit.)