Nakhon Si Thammarat emerges as tranquil tourism haven amidst chaos in hotspots

Maya-Bay-crowds.jpg

As Phuket, Pattaya, and Hua Hin battle with over-tourism, Nakhon Si Thammarat emerges as a tranquil one of Thailand’s favourite getaways.

In the throes of over-tourism, Phuket, Pattaya, and Hua Hin are becoming synonymous with congestion, noise, and chaos. The serenity seekers are abandoning the ship, flocking towards the promise of silent travel, as revealed by Condé Nast Traveler. Amidst this travel turmoil, Nakhon Si Thammarat emerges as a tropical haven that defies the bustling trend.

Bill Barnett, Managing Director of C9 Hotelworks, forewarns of the impending gridlock in Thailand’s high season. However, a southern Thai province is turning the tide. Nakhon Si Thammarat’s new international airport terminal promises direct flights from major Asian cities, providing an escape route from the travel chaos gripping the kingdom.

Nakhon Si Thammarat’s International Airport, set to handle four million passengers annually, stands in stark contrast to Phuket’s ambitious yet insufficient expansion plans. With a vast province spanning 9,885 square kilometres, it beckons travellers seeking solace from the congested roads and beaches of other Thai destinations.

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Caption: Photo courtesy of Lonely Planet

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

promises direct flights from major Asian cities

When's that going to happen? Just looked at Flightradar24 and over 3 days (yesterday, today and tomorrow), there are 28 arrival flights scheduled. All of them from only one major Asian city and that's Bangkok. If Hua Hin cannot attract international flights, then Nakhon Si Thammarat has zero to no chance. Keep up with the "promises"!

Edited by soi3eddie

Nakhon Si Thammarat has a lot of charms, hills, scenery, temples, beaches (though nothing to compare with Phuket or Krabi), the people are lovely and the best food in Thailand. Can't see it becoming an international tourist destination anytime soon though. It is very popular with Thais and a large number of good hotels have opened in the last 20 years. I remember when there was just one flight per day (two flights on a Friday and Sunday), now there are 9-10 daily flights from Bangkok. I'm looking forward to my visit in early March!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Nakhon Si Thammarat has a lot of charms, hills, scenery, temples, beaches (though nothing to compare with Phuket or Krabi), the people are lovely and the best food in Thailand. Can't see it becoming an international tourist destination anytime soon though. It is very popular with Thais and a large number of good hotels have opened in the last 20 years. I remember when there was just one flight per day (two flights on a Friday and Sunday), now there are 9-10 daily flights from Bangkok. I'm looking forward to my visit in early March!

I agree . NST is a great spot and has some beautiful beaches from Kha Nom to Sichon to Tha Sala district. The best seafood in Thailand and mountains and scenery to boot .. A fraction of the prices of Phuket and Krabi , but don't tell the others

Not much is going to change, as you really do need your own transport.  The public transport infrastructure isn't really there for most tourist, along with attractions.  

As the article points out, it really is for people who want to avoid the congestion elsewhere.  And don't mind driving a bit extra to do it.

The opening post reads like a thinly veiled advertisement for some housing development, that's all. First visited NST in 1991, married a local lass and lived there for over 20 years. No airport back then, 2 domestic Thai prop jobs from DMK a week dodging the cows and landing in the army base.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

When's that going to happen? Just looked at Flightradar24 and over 3 days (yesterday, today and tomorrow), there are 28 arrival flights scheduled. All of them from only one major Asian city and that's Bangkok. If Hua Hin cannot attract international flights, then Nakhon Si Thammarat has zero to no chance. Keep up with the "promises"!

Nakhon is Closeish to Samui/Phangan. Huahin isn't close to any other major destination.  

But a major jump in numbers or even flights is unlikely

Edited by n00dle

Just calling an airport "international", doesn't actually make it so. NST has zero chance of seeing an increase in international tourist numbers any time soon.

Edited by MarcelV