Can farang donate blood at the blood bank in Thailand. I have high Ferritin level

Last year I found out I was deficient in Copper, Zinc and Vit D.  So I started taking supplements for this and a few others including Iron, Vit B, Magneseum. I decided not to take a multi vit but take them individually. 

Last week I decided to do blood tests on most of them to see if there were any issues. Only had 2 issues. Low in copper again despite taking 2mg a day for 12 months. And high Ferritin 245.0 ng/mL (ref 15.0 - 200.0)..... Serum iron was 123  ug/dL (ref 65-175) normal. 

I looked at google dr results and re Ferritin it says the only way to get it down is by donating blood. Google also suggests maybe should do a liver and kidney function test

Im now careful eating foods fortified with iron etc. And certainly will not be taking any iron supplements. I did notice each time I took that Iron I felt awful. Brain fog and weird feeling for a few days. Actually this is the reason I was only taking it once a week. 

Re giving blood can anyone just turn up and donate or does one have to give medical history? Does one have to meet certain criteria in order to be actually able to donate blood? 

How long does it take and how does one feel after it

thanks

The Thai Red Cross accepts blood donations from foreigners and actually encourages donation, especially from those who have O negative blood. 

Expats and tourists with O negative blood and who need a transfusion face potential issues here since O negative is almost completely absent among the Thai population.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

So, you just want to walk in and donate your dirty blood? Seems irresponsible. 

Why don't you go to a Doctor and get a Doctor prescribed blood withdrawal that won't be distributed to the general population. 

Duh. The comments are getting dumber. Read above. I did see a dr. Only medical staff can do blood tests and give the results. 

46 minutes ago, advancebooking said:

Duh. The comments are getting dumber. Read above. I did see a dr. Only medical staff can do blood tests and give the results. 

Well your OP rather conveys the message that you wish to "dispose of blood", and you see making a donation as the way to do that!

Given the remarkable cocktail of metallic supplements you seem to be taking, I wouldn't be surprised if it rattled if they put it through a centrifuge!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Why don't you go to a Doctor and get a Doctor prescribed blood withdrawal that won't be distributed to the general population. 

39 minutes ago, advancebooking said:

i think it is your comment that is getting dumber in your panic attack. seems to me that what bkk6060 is recommending is for you to get a doctor to have somewhere to take your blood safely without using it on other patients due to your test results. you have bad ferritin results then when someone suggest something sensible you 'DUH' them stupidly and say you saw a doctor. nowhere did you say you did what bkk6060 suggested. if you want people to help you here you better start being nice or youll see what it gets you if you dont

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

The Thai Red Cross accepts blood donations from foreigners and actually encourages donation, especially from those who have O negative blood. 

Expats and tourists with O negative blood and who need a transfusion face potential issues here since O negative is almost completely absent among the Thai population.

Rh Negative is rare in the Thai population, they seem to be looking for that. This was posted earlier this month on facebook

Screenshot_2024-01-20-05-17-32-808_com.facebook.katana~2.jpg

Screenshot_2024-01-20-05-17-50-946_com.facebook.katana~2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

To donate blood in Thailand you need to be under the age of 60 (those who have donated before that age  can  continue to donate up to age 70).

There are various specific factors which disqualify or have a waiting period for donation, detailed here https://blooddonationthai.com/en/whocangiveblood/

@advancebooking  your ferritin level is only slightly elevated, likely due to unnecessary iron supplementation, and would not be making you feel unwell. Donating blood is not going to change how you feel except possibly through power of suggestion.

• Agree 1