25 best countrie for retirement.

Better if OP's link wasn't behind a pay wall, might be able to read it.

Reckon this is info source from the same, since also 25 countries:

(noticeably missing TH & neighbors)

OC_RetirementIndex.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Better if link wasn't behind a pay wall, might be able to read it.

Reckon this is info source from the same, since also 25 countries:

OC_RetirementIndex.jpg

Makes interesting read. Basically if you don't want to freeze your nuts off every winter, then Oz is no.1.

Edited by mfd101

7 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Makes interesting read. Basically if you don't want to freeze your nuts off every winter, then Oz is no.1.

I wouldn't consider any of those countries 'affordable' on just my govt & company retirement funds.   Not without a nice wad for an oops fund, along with able to buy out right, home & car.

USA alone doesn't have a wide choice of affordable BEVs or solar, compared to TH, along with high RE Taxes and silly healthcare cost, even if having insurance.    Many others are the same, and those cost would chip away at your pocket money, if any left over ...

... NO THANKS

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, tgw said:

but it pertains only to people who are already in that country's system

Well I was in the system paying taxes for 45 years but still denied the OZ old age pension as I thought Thailand was a better place to live.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, tgw said:

the article is very misleading.

indeed it's about "best retirement by country" but it pertains only to people who are already in that country's system (most require a residency permit and one won't benefit from the social welfare if an immigrant), and also it's more about low income retirement.

the question answered by the article is "in which country can retirees of that country afford to live in a small apartment and be able to afford good healthcare and decent food on their low pension".

What you describe is the reality of these retired person

so this is all misinformation in favour of Western countries who do not want pensioners to go to other countries for the exit of capital.

Edited by BE88

56 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

If Norway is the best why are all Norwegians on Jomtien?

The article headline is slightly misleading. It's a comparison of benefits each country pays to its retirees, not the cost of living for expats. Norway is top because it's a rich country, able to pay more than the rest.

7 hours ago, BE88 said:

What you describe is the reality of these retired person

so this is all misinformation in favour of Western countries who do not want pensioners to go to other countries for the exit of capital.

Yes the article is very misleading.        Expats can't simply decide to retire in most if not all  of the countries listed.

A quote from a commenter on the article says it best:

"

"Sardonicus - I had a feeling people might misinterpret this list. I didn't read the article but, I'm SURE it's not implying that it's a list of where people should consider moving. NO, NO.....most of those countries either wouldn't let you live there ongoing or there is some stiff criteria to meet.

The list is describing what retirement years are like for those that live there."

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

The article headline is slightly misleading. It's a comparison of benefits each country pays to its retirees, not the cost of living for expats. Norway is top because it's a rich country, able to pay more than the rest.

Norway is also the most expensive country in which to live, so they need to pay more or the pensioners will all die.

Edited by BritManToo

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Norway is also the mose expensive country in which to live, so they need to pay more or the pensioners will all die.

That's the goal, fewer retirees, fewer payments from the pension fund.

With Covid it was a disaster for the elderly or with deliberate errors in health care many died far from their families.

Luckily we were in Thailand this time :jap:

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Norway is also the most expensive country in which to live, so they need to pay more or the pensioners will all die.

Probably why I'm always bumping into them out here. Nice people!