mass shootings

Did a quick search on the internet and CNN, ABC and about a dozen US national and regional news wires carry this story, including the latest on the suspect shooting himself dead after being confronted by law enforcement in Texas.

It's not a mass shooting in a school, or mall, or crowded public place. The guy shot someone he possibly didn't know, then took out his family and other relatives in two homes before eventually taking his own life.

Edited by NanLaew

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Did a quick search on the internet and CNN, ABC and about a dozen US national and regional news wires carry this story, including the latest on the suspect shooting himself dead after being confronted by law enforcement in Texas.

It's not a mass shooting in a school, or mall, or crowded public place. The guy shot someone he possibly didn't know, then took out his family and other relatives in two homes before eventually taking his own life.

and ? maybe have a quick read again. this story has NOT received national attention like other mass shootings. yes i'm aware it was on those networks. why is it not a headline story and being talked about by everyone for hours and hours like other mass shootings. in a day or so this will mean nothing. yet other mass shootings are talked about over and over sometimes for weeks on  end. 

so its not a mass shooting at a school mall or crowded public place .......and so what ? many people were slaughtered and according to what constitutes a mass shooting...this was it. 

Because shooter was black was (apparently) charged and released for attempting to shoot a woman multiple time about a year ago. 

The press in the US does not care much about black-on-black crime. 

I think the definition of a "mass shooting" varies a bit in the U.S. https://usafacts.org/articles/what-is-considered-a-mass-shooting/

I think this Joliet incident qualifies under most criteria as a "mass shooting". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_States_in_2024

I think the suspect has been found dead in Texas, from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot. I don't think we know, yet, what set him off.

I can't address the OP's questions about why this incident hasn't created the same buzz as other shootings. Maybe they could share a few examples of mass shootings that received an acceptable level of national attention.

It's been a busy month. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_States_in_2024

50 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Because shooter was black was (apparently) charged and released for attempting to shoot a woman multiple time about a year ago. 

If that's the case, I suspect they don't want it getting out that he was "catch and release(d)".

Doesn't bode well for liberal policy makers.

BTW, being an old Chicago boy myself, there's a reason they called Belushi's character in The Blues Brothers "Joliet Jake".

Edited by impulse

15 minutes ago, impulse said:

If that's the case, I suspect they don't want it getting out that he was "catch and release(d)".

Doesn't bode well for liberal policy makers.

BTW, being an old Chicago boy myself, there's a reason they called Belushi's character in The Blues Brothers "Joliet Jake".

Seemed like a nice guy: "He was charged with  aggravated discharge of a weapon, aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, aggravated assault, reckless discharge of a firearm and obstructing a peace officer.

But he was released after posting $10,000 of a $100,000 bond in March 10 2023, according to court documents seen by WGN9, and was due back in court February 1. 

He was also imprisoned aged 19 and charged with two counts of robbery, two counts of theft and one charge of unlawful possession of cannabis."

Joliet shootings: Seven people are found shot dead in two homes cops were SURVEILLING after killing at nearby property: Police chief says 'it's the worst crime scene I've seen' amid hunt for suspect who was on bond | Daily Mail Online

Rather than wonder why the American MSM hasn't got as excited as the OP about it, looking at the guy's charge sheet resulting from shooting at a woman several times, they stick him with "aggravated discharge of a weapon, aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, aggravated assault, reckless discharge of a firearm and obstructing a peace officer." An earlier comment about 'black-on-black' crime is probably why this punk was low-billed on what was fundamentally attempted murder.

Isn't Joliet part of Chicago, a Democrat-controlled city with rampant, uncontrollable gun crime that comes from weak liberal government where the majority of illegal guns are knowingly shuttled back and forth across the border with former VP Mike Pence's unregulated, gun-loving Indiana?