Salaeng

roger101

I've asked this before but a long time ago. I want to turn my bike into a Salaeng (I think that's what it's called) like a food cart but with seats. You see them all the time at Bal Hi Pier. Does anybody have any idea where I can buy one? I already have a motorbike so I need the attachment. I know it will slow me down thru traffic but it's a lot more stable than 2 wheels and at 76 I'm not as stable as I used to be. I have just purchased a 3-wheel electric scooter for short distances but I need something for travelling from one end of Pattaya to the other.

The businesses that used to sell them on Sukhumvit don't seem to exist any more.

23 minutes ago, roger101 said:

I've asked this before but a long time ago. I want to turn my bike into a Salaeng (I think that's what it's called) like a food cart but with seats. You see them all the time at Bal Hi Pier. Does anybody have any idea where I can buy one? I already have a motorbike so I need the attachment. I know it will slow me down thru traffic but it's a lot more stable than 2 wheels and at 76 I'm not as stable as I used to be. I have just purchased a 3-wheel electric scooter for short distances but I need something for travelling from one end of Pattaya to the other.

The businesses that used to sell them on Sukhumvit don't seem to exist any more.

Probably a bit far to go, but the Rayong/BanPhe area is the home of these...

38 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

About 5 years ago, there was an 'assembly plant' for these on the hard shoulder of the railroad bypass road, on the northbound side, just south of the SCC intersection.

I'll take a ride up there tomorrow and have a look.

I've seen them being made on soi Ko Pai and railway road between HuaYai and Klang, have a look.

Apparently you have to register the motorbike the same time as the sidecar, so probably won't be legal but maybe police don't bother enforcing it

11 hours ago, roger101 said:

I want to turn my bike into a Salaeng (I think that's what it's called)

Almost, but not quite. The saleng is the sidecar, the bike plus sidecar is called a sahmlor (literally, three-wheeler). I've had one for 17 years and it's indispensable. Initially, I bought it as I wanted to do a lot of shopping for heavy stuff like beer and soft drinks and take it back home myself, so the saleng is specifically designed accommodate the width of a box of beer. At that time, I didn't want to buy a car as I lived by the beach and was happy using the 10 baht taxis and win for getting around. Nowadays, I moved away from the tourist areas and I've got two cars as well as the sahmlor, but I still use it every day. The places that make these things often only last a year or two and then they move on, so there's not much point saying that I got it made on Soi Nakluea as the shop won't be there anymore. Your best bet is to ask a friendly motorbike tax driver where to get one made in your area, he'll know, or you can try engaging a Thai person driving one (they're not only used for food, but for delivering all sorts of heavy items, like drinks and gas cylinders) in conversation and ask them where to go.

Edited by Guderian
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've seen them being made on soi Ko Pai and railway road between HuaYai and Klang, have a look.

Apparently you have to register the motorbike the same time as the sidecar, so probably won't be legal but maybe police don't bother enforcing it

I remember around about 20 years ago, Pattaya police announced that they are illegal if used to carry passengers and any foreigner caught riding one with passengers will be prosecuted. Not locals, just foreigners!

They should be registered but can only be registered to carry goods, not passengers in the sidecar.

20 hours ago, roger101 said:

Flog your current bike and get yourself one of these:Screenshot2024-01-25at18-08-23YamahaTricity2024MotorcyclePriceFindReviewsSpecsZigWheelsThailand.png.bd4d6920ed29684a967d2fd9b14a0290.png

"Yamaha Tricity 2024 Motorcycle

The ยามาฮ่า ไตรซิตี้ is offered Petrol engine in the Thailand. The new Scooter from ยามาฮ่า comes in a total of 4 variants. If we talk about ยามาฮ่า ไตรซิตี้ engine specs then the Petrol engine displacement is 155 cc. ไตรซิตี้ is available with CVT transmission. The ไตรซิตี้ is a 2 Seater Scooter and has a length of 1980 mm the width of 750 mm, and a wheelbase of 1350 mm. along with a ground clearance of 125 mm."

https://www.zigwheels.co.th/en/new-motorcycles/yamaha/tricity

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2024 at 4:01 PM, roger101 said:

...I want to turn my bike into a Salaeng (I think that's what it's called) like a food cart but with seats. ... Does anybody have any idea where I can buy one? I already have a motorbike so I need the attachment...

Sidecars factory
43 Lieb Tang Rodfai Rd, Pattaya

https://maps.app.goo.gl/W1XGejJiRNBdupPP7