5 year Drivers License Renewal at Bang Jak on Tourist Visa?

mooping20Baht

Hello, my 5 years DL recently expired, I obtained it while on O-A Retirement Visas, and with a US Embassy Affidavid in the past.

However, I am now not in-country as much, and using 60 day tourist visas,  Might I be able to renew an expired DL again , possibly if the $50 US Embassy is still offering Affidavids? etc

IF so , which documents are currently required?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, mooping20Baht said:

IF so , which documents are currently required?

You'll need a Certificate of Address... and may be able to get one from Immigration, but usually need to have submitted a 90 day report (after being in country for 90 days).

Thus...  It may be possible to register your address with your local Amphur and obtain a Certificate of Residence that way... 

This popped up on another thread which heavily debated the usefulness of similar documentation (Yellow House Book) which can be used as proof of address at most DLT centres. 

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You'll need a Certificate of Address... and may be able to get one from Immigration, but usually need to have submitted a 90 day report (after being in country for 90 days).

Thus...  It may be possible to register your address with your local Amphur and obtain a Certificate of Residence that way... 

This popped up on another thread which heavily debated the usefulness of similar documentation (Yellow House Book) which can be used as proof of address at most DLT centres. 

sorry, did you mean to use my expired DL to attempt to register with the Khlong Toey Khet or how would this be done ?

and if successful, then being on a Tourist Visa, might still be acceptable to Bang Jak , Bangkok Land Office?

I renewed my DLT earlier this year in Surin. No longer living in Thailand and only visit as a Tourist. They wanted proof of residence and my little Yellow Book was accepted. But they would only issue a 2 Year Licence because I no longer had a retirement extension. 

1) I have heard that an expired DL cannot be renewed, you have to start the process all over again. Is that correct? My 5 year DL expired in November as I was not in the country. Starting everything over with my national DL would be very tedious for me.

2) Do I really need a 90-day notification? The last time I did a notification was a long time ago as I usually leave the country several times a year.
I am on a Non-O Re, extended recently. Jomtien Immigration.

11 minutes ago, Noxi said:

1) I have heard that an expired DL cannot be renewed, you have to start the process all over again. Is that correct? My 5 year DL expired in November as I was not in the country. Starting everything over with my national DL would be very tedious for me.

2) Do I really need a 90-day notification? The last time I did a notification was a long time ago as I usually leave the country several times a year.
I am on a Non-O Re, extended recently. Jomtien Immigration.

1) Can be renewed if expired less than one year

• Thanks 1

I renewed last week along with my Thai IDP. Not expired with Non O extension. Take the online DLT test and bring the QR code with you. Med cert. Immigration address cert which was free but took a week to issue and now required a TM30 in addition to PP face and visa/extension page copies. This is a Samui report only. Can't speak for everywhere. Can apply 90 Days before expiration or up to one year after. IDP is a separate transaction and not what the OP asked but for those interested it's a separate transaction. Requires the valid DL, another address cert and the same PP copies and since Samui does not process them and I didn't have the time it takes to process the request in Surat Thani I hired a DLT employee to handle that on the side.  She also changed my MC green book from my old province to Surat. Yet another transaction that required two more address certs and could only be done in Surat and requires a three day stay which I can't do.  Before anyone says "you don't need a Thai IDP", yes I do.  My home DL is expired and I'm visiting a country soon that insists on a valid DL and IDP to rent anything. Bonus is that since my MC DL and Auto DL expire a year apart despite being issued a week apart I get to do it all over again next year.  This party just gets better and better!  Also I spoke to two different agents first, one of whom said the blue book could not be changed without an address cert on my old cancelled PP which is obviously impossible to get and the other said she would have to travel to my old province which is also obviously incorrect.  Soup to nuts about 7 weeks to get it all done. 

I think you will struggle to renew in Bangkok.

You need a certificate of residence, which for your situation doesnt sound possible.

Maybe an agent could assist, or try renew in another area.

On 1/25/2024 at 9:40 PM, mooping20Baht said:

sorry, did you mean to use my expired DL to attempt to register with the Khlong Toey Khet or how would this be done ?

and if successful, then being on a Tourist Visa, might still be acceptable to Bang Jak , Bangkok Land Office?

No, you can't register at a land office with your expired DL... (the info about registering with the Land Office was on another thread whereby someone mentioned it was possible to get a letter of residence from the Amphur office - I've never done this or even know if its possible, but if you become stuck - its an avenue to persue).

On another concurrently running thread (about registering a bike in Phuket) it was mentioned that in Phuket you dont need to have submitted a 90 day report to obtain a Certificate of Residence from Immigration - you just need to have submitted a TM30.

Thus: best to try and get the Certificate of Residence from Immigration (and ensure you have already submitted the TM30 before hand - and have a record of that)....  

(I'm not sure if that works in Bangkok, but worth a try).

4 minutes ago, mooping20Baht said:

hmm actually my 5 year DL expires 12/2024, does that change anything with needing a proof of residence, from TM Immigration? Can I use the DL to obtain a proof of residence?

If your license still has a year to run, why are you asking about renewal ? 

When you do renew, you will require a resident certificate, a current or expired license doesn't get you a resident certificate.

Most DLT offices will only give you a 2 year license if on a tourist visa

52 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

If your license still has a year to run, why are you asking about renewal ? 

When you do renew, you will require a resident certificate, a current or expired license doesn't get you a resident certificate.

Most DLT offices will only give you a 2 year license if on a tourist visa

hmm, good point, I'll be in BKK, till August, but if I can Only renew it 90 days before expiration, perhaps, I can't renew it while in BKK.

I was specifically asking if I can get a proof of residence With an Active DL or not?