Are some food importers ripping us off

seajae

Two months ago I bought frozen dim sims(an aussie favourite) at 800 baht( around$34) for 30, they sold out in just a couple of days, yesterday I got an email from the importer saying they had another shipment coming in shortly and we can pre order to make sure we get what we want so I went in to do so.

Problem is they have upped the price almost 60% in the last 2 months with the same bags now costing 1250 baht(around $54), they have not had a price rise in Australia, in Australia they currently cost $9.50 from their supplier(Coles, a couple of dollars more from other sellers) so even paying $34 last time was high but to raise the current price to just over $54 for them is a real stretch.

I realize that for someone to import frozen food from Australia it does require them to raise prices but to raise them so much in just 2 months is very suspect especially knowing that aussie expats will try to get their favourite food and pay a bit more for it to do so.  I have been using this business for around 12 months and liked what they did but after this I will no longer support them, I understand the required profit margins needed to import but to push them up this much in 2 months is way over the top 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, seajae said:

Two months ago I bought frozen dim sims(an aussie favourite) at 800 baht( around$34) for 30, they sold out in just a couple of days, yesterday I got an email from the importer saying they had another shipment coming in shortly and we can pre order to make sure we get what we want so I went in to do so.

Problem is they have upped the price almost 60% in the last 2 months with the same bags now costing 1250 baht(around $54), they have not had a price rise in Australia, in Australia they currently cost $9.50 from their supplier(Coles, a couple of dollars more from other sellers) so even paying $34 last time was high but to raise the current price to just over $54 for them is a real stretch.

I realize that for someone to import frozen food from Australia it does require them to raise prices but to raise them so much in just 2 months is very suspect especially knowing that aussie expats will try to get their favourite food and pay a bit more for it to do so.  I have been using this business for around 12 months and liked what they did but after this I will no longer support them, I understand the required profit margins needed to import but to push them up this much in 2 months is way over the top 

But who raised the price?

-The manufacturer in Oz?

-The exporter (not always the manufacturer)?

-The importer inside LOS?

-The retailer inside LOS?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, seajae said:

Problem is they have upped the price almost 60% in the last 2 months with the same bags now costing 1250 baht(around $54), they have not had a price rise in Australia, in Australia they currently cost $9.50 from their supplier

Yes, they’re ripping you off with such of an outrageous price hike.

I’m not Australian and have don’t know anything about Australian cuisine, what is dim sims? Never heard of it unless you meant dim sum?

Edited by novacova

1 hour ago, Olmate said:

Very meaty dim sims you eat!! 

Looked at a couple recipes, and meat, cabbage, onion, spices & wonton wraps, with first ingredient having most of weight. 

Dim sums are so inexpensive here/TH, partial to the pork ones, that I couldn't be bothered making.

Use to get Siu Mai – Chinese version (much better), almost daily on morning school run @ Udon Thani. Old Chinese guy would be set up curbside in early AM. No detour, and didn't even have to get out of the car.

Quick brekkie for daughter & myself.  Quality time ... BLISS

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like the OP situation has been corrected, but there is something call "greedflation" that many companies are doing these days, basically they are raising their prices just because other companies are raising their prices. 

The term 'greedflation' refers to a price rise introduced by companies to take advantage of inflation and boost their profit margin, even if they do not need to. Production costs have not risen enough for price increases to be justified.

I know a farang business owner here in Pattaya that sells food, when I asked him about rising prices, he just smiled and said, other businesses rising their prices, allow him to raise his prices even though his overhead costs haven't gone up.

Edited by bbko
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, novacova said:

Yes, they’re ripping you off with such of an outrageous price hike.

I’m not Australian and have don’t know anything about Australian cuisine, what is dim sims? Never heard of it unless you meant dim sum?

its Chinese dumplings

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Will27 said:

Looks like it was a pricing error.

Oops! We Made A Mistake…

Hey there, friends! We've got some news to share with our amazing Thailand customers. We're always striving to do our best, but sometimes, we admit, we can make mistakes. And boy, did we have a little hiccup with the preorder prices of our famous dim sims and Chiko rolls on our website for our Thailand based customers.

We want to be completely transparent with you all because we value your trust in us. Due to a glitch, the prices displayed were higher than what they should have been. Yikes! 😱 But here's the good news: we have already fixed the issue and you can now find the correct, lower prices on Bunnasia.com.

To all the wonderful Thailand based customers who have already placed orders with the incorrect prices, please accept our sincerest apologies. We're truly sorry for any inconvenience caused. But fear not, because we are committed to making things right for you.

In the next couple of days, we will be reaching out to you personally to rectify the situation. We want to ensure that you are completely happy with your order and that you receive the best price possible. We truly appreciate your support and want to make sure you feel valued as part of our Bunnasia family.

So hang tight, folks! We're on it and will make sure everything is sorted out for you. Thank you for your understanding, your loyalty, and for giving us the chance to fix our little oopsie!

Stay fabulous and keep on enjoying the deliciousness of Bunnasia.

They only dropped the price 95 baht to 1115 baht, 315 baht more than 2 months ago and only after I had a go at them.

1 minute ago, seajae said:

They only dropped the price 95 baht to 1115 baht, 315 baht more than 2 months ago and only after I had a go at them.

Oh well.

You either pay up or look elsewhere I guess.

15 hours ago, still kicking said:

its Chinese dumplings

Actually they are an Australian invention, they were originally made in Melbourne Victoria to suit aussie tastes, very different to dim sum

22 hours ago, seajae said:

It's called greedflation and it's the new thing, everybody's doing it, from huge to small companies. And the numbers are staggering... This so-called inflation episode is actually a gigantic worldwide robbery.

"Among the companies that increased their profits most from the pre-pandemic average were:

• ExxonMobil: profits of £15bn increased to £53bn

• Shell: £16bn up to £44bn

• Glencore: £1.9 bn up to £14.8bn

• Archer-Daniels-Midland: £1.4bn up to £3.16bn

• Kraft Heinz: £265m up to £1.8bn"

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/dec/07/greedflation-corporate-profiteering-boosted-global-prices-study