Ophthalmologist Report

I went to St Peters Hospital   on Friday morning . I had been in contact with the Doctor previously and had told him my eyes ached and were sore. He gave me an appointment time of 9:15 .  We were a little late '  he came out of his office and asked if it would be alright if he saw another patient while I filled out some information ;  I said sure no problem.  They took my blood pressure it was high ,they checked my vision and gave me an eye pressure test (good ) and then after about 10 more minutes he saw me . He spent most of the visit talking about my vision how it wasn't really that bad and me wearing glasses versus contacts. I wasn't there about my vision but he did explain to me  that switching back and forth from contacts to glasses changes the shape of the cornea which I knew' but it also  can cause some aching?   Finally we got to the aching eyes he performed a couple tests and said I had slight allergic reaction and dry eyes.  Now before I made the appointment I asked him what the cost of the appointment would be   he stated 600 baht for the exam and 200 for the  eye drops to conduct  the exam anything else would be additional.  Of course I thought this was ridiculously cheap . I noticed next to him on the desk was a holder of about 30 different eye drop vials and I said to myself here is where the price goes up.  He prescribed me 4 different eye drops and said he wanted to see me again in 2 months .  I thanked him and waited for the Pharmacist  . My final   bill     3690THB        including 500THB for a medical certificate which I said I didn't want but unbeknown to me my Thai friend had overruled me.  I looked up some of the eye drops on the internet they are a bit expensive.  My eyes don't ache as much  .   

Edit -forgot to mention that six months ago I went to my American Ophthalmologist   a graduate of a top ten University   and complained about my sore eyes -she never recommended eye drops for the aching.

CIAO

Edited by charleskerins
nm
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, charleskerins said:

My final   bill     3690THB        including 500THB for a medical certificate which I said I didn't want but unbeknown to me my Thai friend had overruled me

500 baht for a medical certificate?  Have never paid extra for that at any hospital (and get at all as required for insurance).  

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

500 baht for a medical certificate?  Have never paid extra for that at any hospital (and get at all as required for insurance).  

+1.  Not at all usual to charge for medical certificate.

Where was this doctor located?

And exactly what eye drops were given? (could likely buy at a pharmacy for much less)

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

+1.  Not at all usual to charge for medical certificate.

Where was this doctor located?

And exactly what eye drops were given? (could likely buy at a pharmacy for much less)

It seems to be this.  (will stop at that)

image.png.55a7ddc9ab27238114be72e8e4978225.png

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

I declined  the medical certificate -I didn't even know what it was..   However ,I did accompany a person to a hospital in Phitsanulok  and she was charged for a medical certificate 

16 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

I declined  the medical certificate -I didn't even know what it was..   However ,I did accompany a person to a hospital in Phitsanulok  and she was charged for a medical certificate 

Did she perhaps go to hospital for a medical certificate (employment perhaps)?  I have never heard of anyone being changed for such a certificate to prove a normal consultation.  It has not been asked in any of the 10 hospitals I and wife have used here in Bangkok.  At any rate 500 baht would be totally over the top.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

St Peters Eye Hospital in Chiang Mai, it's a small eye "hospital" favored by some UK expats because the Ophthalmologist speaks English fluently and has worked in the UK NHS. It appears to have only very few patients and has always been empty of customers on the three occasions I have visited.

Yes more staff than patients.

• Thumbs Up 1

I went to St. Peter Hospital right in the middle of the pandemic in 2021 with bad cataracts.  I was nearly blind on one eye and they sorted me out over two weeks.  I can now see in the distance perfectly and can also read without glasses again, and I'm 74.  I was so pleased with them and went because so many in my local village had been sorted out there.  It sounds like the OP's problem was resolved as best as possible.  I agree that most Doctors in Thailand seem to give you far too many pills and potions in my opinion, but I always take them all.  While the money grabbing theory is plausible, I do think there's a bit of a "scattergun" approach going on.  Sort of "We can see there's other things that are not as good as we'd like, and so we'll sort those out as well", so I don't complain.  I always feel better afterwards, which is the main point of going to see Doctors really.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, swm59nj said:

Just out of curiosity.  What was the diagnosis of the Opthamologist in America for this same condition.  And what was the course of treatment?  

She tested me for Glaucoma ,my blood pressure was  high as was  my eye pressure .-said I was good to go and that when I got to Thailand I would start feeling better   NO DROPS For Dry eyes?  , (went to my GP and they upped my BP medicine) 

So no course of treatment -my eyes have been aching for months

Edited by charleskerins
nm

On 1/30/2024 at 8:23 PM, lopburi3 said:

Did she perhaps go to hospital for a medical certificate (employment perhaps)?  I have never heard of anyone being changed for such a certificate to prove a normal consultation.  It has not been asked in any of the 10 hospitals I and wife have used here in Bangkok.  At any rate 500 baht would be totally over the top.

It took me a while to get an answer (I don't speak Thai)  She was not charged for the medical certificate .  Is there a Thai word for charged?

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

Wish poster would have completed the story most relevant!

2nd opinion OPT, what was the diagnoses and reason no eye drops?

Great question and a bit troublesome  -    I don't know the answer   to why no eye drops.

On 1/29/2024 at 11:40 PM, charleskerins said:

forgot to mention that six months ago I went to my American Ophthalmologist   a graduate of a top ten University   and complained about my sore eyes -she never recommended eye drops for the aching.

nuff said...

• Like 1