Foreign Driver Fined after Viral Video Shows Passengers Sitting on Car Windows in Karon

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The driver was fined, however, police did not specifically identify the charge or the amount of the fine.

...the amount of the fine? it remains a well-kept secret, as is usually the case and for reasons we can only guess at.

I remember sitting there one morning outside a coffee shop when I heard this thud when I looked up a fire engine coming along the soi and a young guy had been sitting on the top and the cables across had dragged him off, he didnt get up they had to send for a ambulance, 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Agreed with the implied message that 'safety standards is also extremely poor elsewhere'... when posting all of the above photos...

BUT...   what is ignored is the difference between necessity and stupidity... 

The actions of those sitting on the window-sills of the car is outrageously idiotic and most definitely in need of a response.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

It's ok to drive a truck with kids on the back? 

No... IMO its not ok...   But financial constraints are also involved, when those are in songthaews or the flat-beds of pickups its because there is nowhere else for them to sit - I'm not implying this is ok, but that is simply done out of necessity. 

Whereas in this example, there was no necessity at all and the actions were taken out of nothing more than reckless disregard. 

To place perspective on this.. I recall a similar reactions when Thai's do similar..

- When a child was sitting on the roof (through the son roof) of a car.

- Someone on the roof of a car (pretending to be swimming).

Links below..   

Then we also have the 'superman' in the west... Video below.. 

https://thethaiger.com/news/northern-thailand/outrage-on-social-media-over-child-sitting-on-roof-of-moving-car-in-northern-thailand

Edited by richard_smith237

14 hours ago, swm59nj said:

It appears one of the women was speaking on a microphone.

To me it looks as if the two girls try to advertise some bar or other.

Looks not too different from the Muay Thai pickup truck cruising through Patong every single day advertising the big event "tooooniiiiiiight", with two or several fighters on top of a high platform.

Stupid? Yes. Necessary that a Good Samaritan gets involved. I think not, traffic police would need another thousand officers to control the situation on Phuket alone, of they really would be interested to uphold the law.