Live cobra smuggled onboard AirAsia flight from Bangkok

snoop1130

Screenshot-2024-02-01-135017.jpg

CISF personnel thwarted a smuggling attempt at Kempegowda International Airport, Karnataka, India, as a passenger who landed from Bangkok on an AirAsia flight tried to conceal a live cobra inside a bottle.

The astute CISF officers uncovered the hidden serpent during a routine luggage check. The daring passenger, identified as Purushottam, now faces the clutches of the Forest Department as they launch a full-scale investigation into this bizarre reptilian smuggling plot.

This incident echoes a similarly shocking incident in September last year, where another passenger tried smuggling 78 animals, including monkeys, pythons, and cobras, from Bangkok to Bengaluru. Customs officials, acting under the Customs Act of 1962, seized the illicit cargo, leaving the nation stunned.

But the reptile isn’t the only shocking discovery at Bengaluru Airport. In a separate case, a passenger arriving from Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, attempted a daring gold smuggling operation. The concealed gold, ingeniously hidden inside a flask, turned out to weigh 122.22 grammes worth a whopping 7,52,875 Indian Rupees (323,000 baht), reported News Nine.

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Caption: Photo courtesy of News Nine

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-02-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, In Full Agreement said:

Thailand has plenty of  cobras.     For the life of me, I wonder why anyone would try to smuggle one into the country.

23 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

CISF personnel thwarted a smuggling attempt at Kempegowda International Airport, Karnataka, India, as a passenger who landed from Bangkok on an AirAsia flight tried to conceal a live cobra inside a bottle.

:post-4641-1156694572::post-4641-1156694572:

• Like 1

Seems Indian customs are more alert than the Thai, don't they X-ray luggage before boarding

27 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

now faces the clutches of the Forest Department as they launch a full-scale investigation into this bizarre reptilian smuggling plot.

What they going to do extradite him back to Thailand  for a snake.

2 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

I misread a bit but point still stands.       India has plenty of cobras to go round for everyone.

Yes as usual stories here can be quite convoluted.  

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, In Full Agreement said:

Thailand has plenty of  cobras.     For the life of me, I wonder why anyone would try to smuggle one into the country.

Maybe read the article ......

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A tad smarter than the baggage check at Bangkok which seemed to have missed the item

• Like 1

The photo above shows what is known as  rượu rắn in Vietnam.

Snake is dead not dead drunk. Technically an herbal tonic.
   Basically it's just rice moonshine with additives for medicinal purposes.  Many old Vietnamese geezers have their own secret recipe.  Sealed bottle is a "commercial product"
   To enjoy it you've got to be an old Vietnamese geezer or a totally committed drunk.  Usually both.image.png.bad2fd0c3333a03584beefbb2e4a448e.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Looks like a pickled one at that, alive? I doubt that very much.

I used to have a tookey in a bottle of Thai spirit that was given to me. My wife made me get rid of it. In a Scottish whisky distillery I visited many years they had adders bottled in whisky in their reception area. The picture shown appears to be of a bottled dead snake. A new take on 'Drunk as a skunk.'

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, stargrazer9889 said:

Thieves are thieves, not rocket scientists, who think, before they act.

Thankfully most thieves are many brain cells short of a full load.

Maybe the cobra was of a special color or markings.

And Dead.