Why Learn Passa Thai? Your Justifications for Doing So?

GammaGlobulin

What is your purpose for learning passa Thai?

Do you love the language?

Is it the ROUNDNESS of Thai script which really turns you on?

Or, is it that you hope to find a GF, and impress her with your pillow talk?

What is your motivation for learning a language which is not spoken in most countries of the world?

My motivation is:

1.  I enjoy learning things which are interesting but not useful.

2. I enjoy learning dead languages.

3. I like to be able to talk to taxi drivers.

Also:  "Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday and for the rest of your life!"....you just might need to speak passa Thai, if you stick around here, long enough.

Here's looking at you, Kid...

Note:  It doesn't take much to see that learning passa Thai "doesn't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world."

And, THIS is why I love learning passa Thai...maybe....

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Sad 2

As you mentioned girlfriend, I think it is very useful to understand what the girlfriend is talking about you with others in Thai. 

My girlfriends were all not able to communicate  in English, it was a must to really start a good relationship.

If you travel outside of tourist areas it is absolutely essential to be able to communicate at least the basics in Thai. 

Edited by msbkk

Learning Thai language (at least spoken) for me has:

1) Made life easier in Thailand

2) Made life more fun

3) Generated more respect from Thais

4) Lessened the hassles and attempts to scam or rip me off

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1

I understand my wife's Thai really quite well and in general my understanding is much better than my speaking or writing. When I first came here I took lessons and learned too read and write (I was advised to do so). It was not difficult, as I can speak other languages EU and Asian. What I found difficult was the pronunciation, and therefore speaking, maybe as my hearing has declined as I have aged. This doesn't pose a problem in the family setting as they are used to me mangling their language, but in shops and other settings my speaking begets zero comprehension from Thais and is useless. Note I tried two different teachers....and part of the reason is that one is taught Bangkok, hi-so Thai, whereas I live in Issan where everyone has strong accents which are difficult to follow.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, msbkk said:

But only if you sit beside her 24 hours nonstop. It is much easier to use your ears for that.

Agreed. This is why I dumped every girl who doesn't speak at least intermediate English.

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

Agreed. This is why I dumped every girl who doesn't speak at least intermediate English.

You seem to fit very well in a foreign non-english speaking country of your choice. 

Edited by msbkk

2 hours ago, Celsius said:

I do. English is my 3td language 

Ok, I will rephrase. You seem to fit very well in a foreign country of your choice where most of the population does not speak proper English and you seem to not be  willing to learn their language. 

10 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

My motivation is:

1.  I enjoy learning things which are interesting but not useful.

2. I enjoy learning dead languages.

3. I like to be able to talk to taxi drivers

1. Thai is useful in a country where the national language is Thai.
2. Thai is not a dead language.

Ergo, your only motivation to learn Thai is 3.

17 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

1. Thai is useful in a country where the national language is Thai.

Even if not in Thailand, I would still be highly motivated to continue my Thai language studies, just for the enjoyment of it.

There are those in Illinois who do just this:

image.png.9ecfb2e15a34c0d6dd70ac80ef440ec6.png

image.thumb.png.16a3d0f6a1a4d69558b02e7e7beeffcf.png

At my university, we learned PLENTY of things which were not useful.

And, I not only paid much money to do so...but...also...

Appreciated it.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

One should know the basics, and just convenient when interacting with the locals, especially shopping.  If they think you are a long term expat, they'll be less likely to overcharge you, if they are that sort of vendor.

On 2/2/2024 at 8:35 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

What is your purpose for learning passa Thai?

I am strongly opposed to learning passa Thai, because I know of no such thing.

I do, however, support the idea of learning the Thai language for anyone who takes an interest in it, or any other langage, for that matter, except perhaps Esperanto.

("passa" is third person singular present tense of the Italian verb "passare" [English: pass])

3 hours ago, Puccini said:

("passa" is third person singular present tense of the Italian verb "passare" [English: pass])

One reason you should learn Thai, before replying ... 

English: 'language' = 'ภาษา" (Thai) transliteration: P̣hās̄ʹā

On 2/4/2024 at 12:45 AM, KhunLA said:

One reason you should learn Thai, before replying ... 

English: 'language' = 'ภาษา" (Thai) transliteration: P̣hās̄ʹā

1. Are you sure that having learnt Thai is a prerequisite for being allowed to reply to a post on this forum?

2. There appear to be many different "transliteration" systems around for the Thai language. What system did you use when you wrote "passa" and what system when you wrote "P̣hās̄ʹā"?

3. Are you sure that posts or parts of posts witten in "transliterated" Thai using any of the many "transliteration" systems are allowed on AseanNow outside the Thai Language Forum?

16 minutes ago, Puccini said:

1. Are you sure that having learnt Thai is a prerequisite for being allowed to reply to a post on this forum?

2. There appear to be many different "transliteration" systems around for the Thai language. What system did you use when you wrote "passa" and what system when you wrote "P̣hās̄ʹā"?

3. Are you sure that posts or parts of posts witten in "transliterated" Thai using any of the many "transliteration" systems are allowed on AseanNow outside the Thai Language Forum?

1.  No, but your ignorance wouldn't show if you knew

2. I knew what OP meant, having used 'phasa Thai' many times while speaking to Thais.  Lack of the 'h' isn't going to throw off anyone who knows Thai, different transliteration or not.

3. Now you're just being silly

Knew it was 'language', so simply used Gtranslate (typing English to Thai translation) to get the Thai script and their version of transliteration they use.

Thought it might be helpful to others.

image.png.151d02a5ca4214a57a119885e3619d27.png

Edited by KhunLA

28 minutes ago, Puccini said:

I think we are talking about romanization, here.

On 2/6/2024 at 1:37 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

I think we are talking about romanization, here.

Frankly, I am not sure what KhunLA was talking about, transliteration, transcription or romanisation, which is the reason why put "transliteration", which KhunLA used, between quotation marks.