New car: accept Mastercard/Visa?

The answer to my question is probably "No" but I figured it's worth a shot to ask you guys anyways: would you know if a official Honda (car) dealer would accept Mastercard/Visa as payment? Foreign card. 

Bless 

I'm aware of a foreigner who bought 2 new cars in Pattaya using VISA.

Very big dealership, they quickly, through their bank, contacted VISA international and got:

- Request for documented proof of the buyer's name etc.

- One time approval of a much higher transaction limit.

Overall took a couple of hours.

But this was 20 years ago. 

Yes, you can. The dealer charges 3% service fee. They seemed quite eager to make the sale, so I said I'll buy the vehicle right now if they waive the service charge. To my surprise, they said no, so I walked away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All very helpful, thanks 

As most of you already understood, when asking about accepting Mastercard I was also meaning without any service charge. I guess it's a no go then? 

I'm visiting a Honda dealership on Tuesday and I'll report back here then. 

Another Q. Any circumstances where they extend finance for us foreigners? I'm on the Elite visa but I don't hold any work permit or local employment. 

5 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

Another Q. Any circumstances where they extend finance for us foreigners? I'm on the Elite visa but I don't hold any work permit or local employment. 

Yes... You may be able to secure finance when placing a decent deposit (i.e. 40%) you will most certainly need a Thai Guarantor (who also meets the finance requirements). 

I'm not sure if a work permit is required for this this through, or if they'll accept proof of overseas income / funds.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

The answer to my question is probably "No" but I figured it's worth a shot to ask you guys anyways: would you know if a official Honda (car) dealer would accept Mastercard/Visa as payment? Foreign card. 

Bless 

The question first should be whether your credit card company would permit it.  And, remember that a 3% or greater charge is often added here to purchase many things using a credit card.  Finally, does your credit card charge a foreign transaction fee, typically 3%?  I have 2 cards that do and 1 that does not.

44 minutes ago, dlclark97 said:

The question first should be whether your credit card company would permit it.  And, remember that a 3% or greater charge is often added here to purchase many things using a credit card.  Finally, does your credit card charge a foreign transaction fee, typically 3%?  I have 2 cards that do and 1 that does not.

You should assume I know the limit of my own card so no, that shouldn't be the first question I ask myself. 

The reason I would like to use a CC is because I work in the finance industry and one of my perks is a Mastercard without FX markup i.e. I get the exact rate listed here (better then wise): https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/personal/get-support/convert-currency.html

No need to lecture mate, I know some stores adds a charge fee even though it's explicitly against the T&C of both Mastercard and Visa. Actually, this was the very point of this thread to ask if official Honda dealers 1) accept MA/Visa 2) adds "a charge" 

14 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

Bless 

That is up to the specific dealer. Some do and done don't. However, they won't accept full payment by cc as it costs them money. The most I was able to pay by cc was 50k with no extra charge

2 hours ago, mal129 said:

Yes, you can. The dealer charges 3% service fee. They seemed quite eager to make the sale, so I said I'll buy the vehicle right now if they waive the service charge. To my surprise, they said no, so I walked away.

They'll have been making a margin on that 3% , likely only being charged about half that. They never add on anything when paying by card for servicing or repairs. 

32 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

You should assume I know the limit of my own card so no, that shouldn't be the first question I ask myself. 

The reason I would like to use a CC is because I work in the finance industry and one of my perks is a Mastercard without FX markup i.e. I get the exact rate listed here (better then wise): https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/personal/get-support/convert-currency.html

No need to lecture mate, I know some stores adds a charge fee even though it's explicitly against the T&C of both Mastercard and Visa. Actually, this was the very point of this thread to ask if official Honda dealers 1) accept MA/Visa 2) adds "a charge" 

That's not really a perk. It's easy to get a card with no foreign usage mark up and interbank FX rates. Mine even has a half per cent cash back. The extra dealer add on  charge for using the card you referenced is only an EU directive to retailers there so not applicable here. 

The respondent wasn't lecturing either. You asked for advice and he gave you it.

11 minutes ago, Chongalulu said:

That's not really a perk. It's easy to get a card with no foreign usage mark up and interbank FX rates. Mine even has a half per cent cash back. The extra dealer add on  charge for using the card you referenced is only an EU directive to retailers there so not applicable here. 

The respondent wasn't lecturing either. You asked for advice and he gave you it.

lol half percent cash back, silly low