Thai Airways: 10 kg extra checked baggage for silver members?

lkn

I have been a Thai Airways Silver Member for the last 10 or so years, so today I decided to look up if there is actually any benefits.

Lo and behold Royal Orchid Plus Silver Members can check in extra 10 kg of baggage.

I am flying in from Europe on Royal Silk on Monday and I actually could use 50 kg of checked baggage, but unfortunately my country’s Thai Airways office is closed during the weekend, so I can’t call them for confirmation.

So before I pack 50 kg of baggage I just wanted to ask here, if someone has taken advantage of this benefit?

Because my ticket only says 40 kg even though it includes my frequent flyer/ROP number, but presumably that is just because they are using archaic ticketing systems.

I also remember I got a Thai Airways member card long ago, but I have since thrown it out, as I am quite sure it was expired. I wonder if the clerk needs to see some sort of documentation for my silver member status when checking in? Again, with their archaic ticketing systems, that information might not be accessible to them from the check-in counter.

• Haha 1

50kg? what are you packing there a Howitzer gun? I too an esteemed member of the ROC flying Business to Melb

which, unfortunately, there are only 2 airlines who fly direct (Business) being Quants, whom I'm not a fan of, and TG,

that IMHO, i don't get full value for the asking fare but they're the only game in town, why others don't fly BKK-MEL

direct is beyond my comprehension...

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, lkn said:

I also remember I got a Thai Airways member card long ago, but I have since thrown it out, as I am quite sure it was expired.

Use the Thai Airways app on your phone, easily shows your card and collected mileage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the OP's member number/status is already in the ticketing, there's no need to flash any card to remind anyone. TBH, very few airlines issue physical cards these days and even less bother to mail out new or replacement ones. As suggested already, if the OP can get their app on the phone, that's the way to go.

IMHO, the whole frequent flyer thingmabob has limited value-added for the airlines these days, which is why you see them buggering about with 2-for-1 dilutions of value or rebranding them with a new name but with far lower earning rate for their devalued currency. I was a KLM aficionado from their Flying Dutchman days, and the last great thing they did for me was double my existing miles as a thank you for my loyalty. Then Air France bought them and sold the Dutch farm. They now have a points earning system that's based on front-of-the-bus earning 100% miles-for-miles while everything lower (most paying passengers) is prorated. So the punter taking advantage of a low-cost, no-checked baggage airfare in Coach earns about the same miles as the taxi ride to the airport.

I think Qatar may be bucking this trend with all classes earning exactly the miles flown?

7 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Use the Thai Airways app on your phone, easily shows your card and collected mileage.

Are you talking about this app (iOS)?

I can click “More” and then ROP, but that just opens a web browser.

The app seems extremely limited, most things just open web pages that each have cookie consent forms and a banner at the top about downloading the Thai Airways app, and it seems the app has not been updated for the dynamic island, so controls (like back) is often un-clickable.

Couldn’t find a way to really “log in” in the app, nor show my member card or anything like that.

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

50kg? what are you packing there a Howitzer gun?

Wife and I once flew back to Thailand with 115 kgs of stuff...  (about 6 months before our son was born & we'd purchased a load of 'baby stuff - push-chairs, car seats, travel cot etc - which for decent stuff was much cheaper in the UK than here)... 

But, we've also brought loads of other stuff back since then which ramps up and fills the luggage allowance... 

As per the Ops question: 

I have extra allowance on TG, Qatar and Emirates...    the ticket only ever states the 'ticketted allowance' above which our 'tier membership' allowance is added...   

This has caused me the same confusion in the past when logged in online and the shown allowance hasn't inreased according to my tier membership... 

So Op... If your Business Class flight allows for 40 kgs... and you are a silver member - your allowance is 50 kgs.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

IMHO, the whole frequent flyer thingmabob has limited value-added for the airlines these days,

Flying to Japan (3 of us)..  Award Seats...   saving of approximately 50,000 baht.

Flew in Europe last month (3 of us) Award Seats + Excess baggage... saving of approximately £800.

Flying in a few days, again with excess baggage...  saving excess baggage fees (not sure how much) and also choosing Comfort+ (premium eco) seats no extra charge.

Flying to UK in the summer...   Cash+Miles, saves about 25,000 baht on the ticket.

Obviously I disagree with your comment that 'frequent flyer miles' are of 'limited value' as year on year I prove otherwise.

Note, its 'frequent flyer'... not 'occasional flyer'...  which is why such programs may have limited value for infrequently travellers. 

That doesn't mean I only fly those airlines - I still choose the best value etc...  but frequent flying, credit cards etc...  all adds up.

1 hour ago, lkn said:

The app seems extremely limited, most things just open web pages that each have cookie consent forms and a banner at the top about downloading the Thai Airways app, and it seems the app has not been updated for the dynamic island, so controls (like back) is often un-clickable.

Couldn’t find a way to really “log in” in the app, nor show my member card or anything like that.

Well, it's the same/similar app but mine is Android.  I click top left to log in, actually it always logs me in automatically but I just logged out and back in to check.  It may not be a perfect app but is does do what you were looking for, at least it does if you can log in to it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Well, it's the same/similar app but mine is Android.  I click top left to log in, actually it always logs me in automatically but I just logged out and back in to check.  It may not be a perfect app but is does do what you were looking for, at least it does if you can log in to it.

OK,  think the log in is the issue, there is a profile icon “top left”, but it is partly in the status bar and does not register my clicks.

Apple changed the screen metrics some years ago, and apps that hasn’t been updated tend to have things end up in non-clickable areas of the status bar 😞

Amazing that the app has a 4.0 rating on the iOS app store, because it is practically useless, with many buttons not working, I even got into a screen where I had to force quit because the “back” button was inaccessible. This, and half the screens are just taking you to a web page, not even remembering my cookie consent choice from last time, or suppressing the “install the app” banner at the top.

1 hour ago, lkn said:

Agreed... the TG App is pretty much unusable... 

Its doesn't even display my Tier Membership..   when I select 'My Thai' (which I assume is the correct bit), it goes to a WebPage within the App in which it requires a further log in, which doesn't accept my log in nor recognise my e-mail... 

In short - the App is useless.. 

I've just logged in online... To find out my Tier status (which I think is silver)...  but I can' find that out either... 

I've given up...  (not that bothered about it)...

But dealing with anything 'modern' with this company just leads to some form of frustration - yes its a TG Bash, but they struggle to get basic stuff right.

Edited by richard_smith237

I like Thai, and used to fly them quite a bit. 

I think the best frequent flyer program for free upgrades is (or at least was) Emirates. I used to fly to Dubai every other month coach, and almost always got bumped to biz. 

The lounges in Bangkok and Dubai were great too. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed... the TG App is pretty much unusable... 

Its doesn't even display my Tier Membership..   when I select 'My Thai' (which I assume is the correct bit), it goes to a WebPage within the App in which it requires a further log in, which doesn't accept my log in nor recognise my e-mail... 

In short - the App is useless.. 

I've just logged in online... To find out my Tier status (which I think is silver)...  but I can' find that out either... 

I've given up...  (not that bothered about it)...

But dealing with anything 'modern' with this company just leads to some form of frustration - yes its a TG Bash, but they struggle to get basic stuff right.

Maybe "the whole frequent flyer thingmabob has limited value-added for the airlines TG these days, ..."

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Obviously I disagree with your comment that 'frequent flyer miles' are of 'limited value' as year on year I prove otherwise.

Obviously, but neither you or my air travel reward experience is empirical. You list three airlines, which I assume are your 'frequent' carriers and the ones you earn/burn points on.

I am a frequent flier and not an occasional flyer, and the three airlines I fly with the most aren't the same ones that you fly rhe most.

I think it safe to say that the miles are better than a sharp stick in the eye. 

The nicest thing about Thai, is that the gold status seems to last forever. I fly mostly Eva, and get and extra bag and lounge access even flying economy. 

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Obviously, but neither you or my air travel reward experience is empirical. You list three airlines, which I assume are your 'frequent' carriers and the ones you earn/burn points on.

I am a frequent flier and not an occasional flyer, and the three airlines I fly with the most aren't the same ones that you fly rhe most.

Interesting...  Care to name these carriers that do not give you free additional baggage, do not give you cash+miles options, do not give you award seats (without enough miles), do not give you free choice of seat (with tier status), do not give you lounge access (with tier status) etc ?

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Maybe "the whole frequent flyer thingmabob has limited value-added for the airlines TG these days, ..."

Perhaps with TG...   a FF program may not have great value...  and its certainly difficult enough to book award seats...

We accrue mileage from our credit card - this gives us award seats when we can plan long enough in advance...

Last award seats we booked (for travel this week) needed to be booked 330 days in advance - so I'd agree with you - the value of miles with TG is somewhat limited and can't be used with partner airlines.

On 2/5/2024 at 2:43 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Interesting...  Care to name these carriers that do not give you free additional baggage, do not give you cash+miles options, do not give you award seats (without enough miles), do not give you free choice of seat (with tier status), do not give you lounge access (with tier status) etc ?

BA, Malaysian (both One World) and KLM/AF. They seem to adhere to a totally different (older?) frequent flier award system than the newer, middle-east mega-carriers.

BA has always been 'less giving' unless you really are up there status wise. Cash+miles options capped. Some of my best flying experiences in their Business Class, some of my worst in their Business Class too. Predictable (better to book the same flights (same plane) on a Qatar code-share).

Malaysian, they've been a total hit-and-miss with some really great 'flash' offers and bundles, but they seem to be exactly that, windowed with specific dates, markets or sectors and not anything that you can plan on being available when it's time to fly. Frustrating but usable.

As for KLM/AF, they went from KLM being my number one choice and my being somewhere 'beyond platinum' to, after the 'merger', delivering a constantly diminishing level of customer appreciation. Lounge access is far more restrictive, upgrades scarcer than hens teeth and their pro-rated miles earned based on the fare paid. It's been a few years since the option to use your points to get a single-class upgrade or 'buy' extra baggage was integrated in their online booking. Nowadays, it's more of a case of pick a class and pay (for everything) and only the most expensive Economy Plus ticket allows you to select a seat... online within 24-hours of departure (not at purchase time). For all others, it's AirAsia style lucky-dip at check-in. Business gets all the goodies, but the price differential is significant compared to what it used to be, and easily doubles the cost from Economy Plus. I ended up burning the miles due to expire on a coffee machine, a toasted sandwich maker, some NL hotel vouchers and some coupons for Schiphol shopping.

I am a quite recent frequent flier on Qatar (just started after Covid...go figure!) and they do look promising, although their huge, intercontinental bus terminal at Hamad doesn't impress me much but at least the stopovers are a decent 2-hours tops.

Almost forgot, I only have two credit cards and neither offer miles with purchases, but I do make sure I get what I can from hotel stays and car rentals.

Edited by NanLaew

The only benefit of ROP Silver is the 10KG extra baggage. For Royal Silk you should get 40KG. Add the 10kg for ROP Silver and you get the 50kg, according to the Thai Airways website today. They no longer send out physical cards, so, as long as you enter your ROP membership # to the Thai Airways website on booking, the ticket will include all your priveledges. 

Edited by soi3eddie

13 minutes ago, jimn said:

Standard economy with EVA Air is 2 x 23kg checked baggage if anyone is interested. No need to be a special member.

I think you get a third with a gold card. 

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, jimn said:

Standard economy with EVA Air is 2 x 23kg checked baggage if anyone is interested. No need to be a special member.

Flew Premium Economy with EVA last year as a holder of a Star Alliance Gold card. I had one piece of luggage weighing 29kgs. They wanted an extra £100 for the "excess" weight even though I could have taken 3 bags at a total of 69kgs! Dickheads. In the end they gave me a box and packing tape to redistribute the "excess" 6 kgs. Real palaver and waste of time for nothing. At least THAI allow up to 32kgs max per piece (allowance permitting).

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Flew Premium Economy with EVA last year as a holder of a Star Alliance Gold card. I had one piece of luggage weighing 29kgs. They wanted an extra £100 for the "excess" weight even though I could have taken 3 bags at a total of 69kgs! Dickheads. In the end they gave me a box and packing tape to redistribute the "excess" 6 kgs. Real palaver and waste of time for nothing. At least THAI allow up to 32kgs max per piece (allowance permitting).

But I think you only get two with Thai.