Getting bicycle from Chiang Mai to Nong Khai (and then riding to Vientiane)?

LingonBerry

I have a good bicycle which I would like to donate to my Lao friend. How can I get it to Nong Khai and pick it up by myself afterwards (a couple of days later).

Also is it possible to ride with bicycle from Nong Khai to Vientiane?

Take the bus CM to NK, put the bike in the bus luggage area, or on the roof if a 3rd class bus. I have no idea if there will be any difficulty taking the bike across the border, but there may well be, it is a vehicle after all. Perhaps you should do a Google search for a cycling club in SEA and ask there.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, grain said:

Take the bus CM to NK, put the bike in the bus luggage area, or on the roof if a 3rd class bus. I have no idea if there will be any difficulty taking the bike across the border, but there may well be, it is a vehicle after all. Perhaps you should do a Google search for a cycling club in SEA and ask there.

My cycle club in Loei went across 2/3 years ago

• Thumbs Up 1

Visa on arrival is reliably available at most overland crossings between Thailand and Laos, including the Huay Xai, Vientiane, Savannakhet, Tha Khaek and Chong Mek entry points. It is also available at both Vientiane and Luang Prabang airports (US$37, cash only, one passport photo).

I have ridden my bike both ways VTE to Udon and back.  Ship your bike from Bang Sue to Udon or Nong Khai.  Do yourself a favor and print the Lao immigration visa form, fill it out, paste a photo on it and have 40 USD , or same in THB or Euro.  I have ridden the bike through the motorbike lanes both sides.  Might need to park the bike with motorbikes and clear as they do.   Never had an issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've cycled the friendship bridge from Laos to NongKai.  It's permitted but not exactly cycle-friendly.  The lanes are narrow, with little room for large coaches to pass by.  There is (or was then) a walkway on the edge, separated from the road by meter-high concrete barriers, but you can't ride the entire length due to large signs bolted down blocking the way.

Picture409.jpg.4a2100c6fd0d2c49e573e7af3d9e77f6.jpg

Picture411.jpg.66268ae4297685d40fc484621821ea13.jpg

Much better crossing for bicycles is Kennetau (Laos Hwy 4) near Loei if that's convenient for you.

Picture097.jpg.3527cb1600b5b0d49a99a1ebe9b015f3.jpgPicture099.jpg.d6466a60b7f4a8d80b773175e828b6bd.jpg

Edited by NoDisplayName
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, NORDO said:

I have ridden my bike both ways VTE to Udon and back.  Ship your bike from Bang Sue to Udon or Nong Khai.  Do yourself a favor and print the Lao immigration visa form, fill it out, paste a photo on it and have 40 USD , or same in THB or Euro.  I have ridden the bike through the motorbike lanes both sides.  Might need to park the bike with motorbikes and clear as they do.   Never had an issue.

How long was your one way trip between the cities?   I am assuming you mean bicycle when you write bike.