Balcony collapses at Chiang Mai resort injuring 13

webfact

47 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

image.png.751ec6de2f74052ab19d33320bb59261.pngHere's a shot of the anchor bolts which gave way. That's all it had on each side! ๐Ÿ˜‚

๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎ This happens when a contractor look at "anchor bolts" as solution for anything.

๐Ÿค”๐Ÿคจ

Edited by The Theory

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

EDIT Re-bar? We don't need no silly re-bar!!

ย 

image.png.6efd7290533f17a741135ba55084b2d8.png

ย 

That rebar has been reused in multiple projects already, at least in the invoices.ย 

ย 

The actual final destination for it is either in construction business owners or managers home extension project....ย 

10 hours ago, Crossy said:

Saw this on the TV last evening, they had circled images of the (lack of) re-bar tie-in between the balcony slab and the main building.

ย 

The video showed the whole lot, with people on board, just dropping like a lift!!

ย 

Luckily it wasn't higher up ...

ย 

EDIT Re-bar? We don't need no silly re-bar!!

ย 

image.png.6efd7290533f17a741135ba55084b2d8.png

It looks like it was stapled to the facia board.ย  I hope the resort and the contracting company have good insurance.

3 minutes ago, Balance said:

It looks like it was stapled to the facia board.ย  I hope the resort and the contracting company have good insurance.

I hope they don't and have to pay out of their pockets for this!

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, The Theory said:

๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎ This happens when a contractor look at "anchor bolts" as solution for anything.

๐Ÿค”๐Ÿคจ

If there were 40 people on the balcony (the dimensions were not included in the article), it certainly needed structural support timbers extending to the ground and anchored in concrete. Then, the bolt anchors would have held.ย 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, rct99q said:

Now this is why you take out insurance in this country.ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

good luck collecting. also, which insurance would you take here? i'm not even 60 yet and i cant get accident insurance anymore. as for blue cross [dont know the new name think it is pacific cross] i have too many pre-existing conditions... always some fine print no one reads. even if you did would it change anything?

ย 

you can always try to sue the resort/hotelย :cheesy:ย but good luck with that. maybe you could get 15 000bht if you're lucky.

ย 

7 hours ago, Cabradelmar said:

The video right before the collapse shows a gaggle of people all standing, facing out, on the very edge of this never constructed balcony, falling in unison. Very strange. Like they were posing for a photo.

Posing before they made an informal meeting with the crowds below.

1 hour ago, Balance said:

If there were 40 people on the balcony (the dimensions were not included in the article), it certainly needed structural support timbers extending to the ground and anchored in concrete. Then, the bolt anchors would have held.ย 

You're thinking like their lawyer.

ย 

If people didn't stand on the balcony, it would not collapse. So it's fault of people who went to stand on it!

• Confused 1

It would bankrupt Thailand if they fixed every bad balcony.ย  ย Until people are held accountable with big payouts nothing will change.ย  ย When death payouts are so low it pays to skimp.ย  ย ย 

Great news for tatย 

14 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Give 'em a break - you can be sure that building safety standards will have been discussed many, many times.

ย 

Much like road safety measures...................................................talk a lot, do nothing.

That is the new name for Sretta. A native name.

ย 

Talks alot, does nothing.ย