Bolt - Work as a driver

StarJedi

I asked the question to Bolt but I did not get any answer.

My Thai wife would like to become a Bolt driver. The car is registered in my name.

Anybody know if that would be OK with Bolt.

While on the subject, how much a driver can earn in the Pattaya area?

Thanks

When I was in Pattaya last October I jumped into a bolt /grab car in Jomtien, the driver was an older Thai in his 50's

As he asked me where I was going I picked up a Australian accent.

I was right he had been living in Australia for 25 years 

He told me he was on a 8 week holiday with his Australian male partner and was living in Australia working as a public servant in Melbourne

He decided to drive his neighbours car to get away from his boyfriend for awhile 

He told me he wasn't really driving for the money but picked up around 2,000 baht a day after expenses he told me including tips 

The thing is ,great english skills will get you tips , he picked up a lot of farang drunks and was able to joke and laugh with them 

I think working the Friday night shift say 5pm to 5am  12 hours  you possibly could get 4-5k if you worked it and with tips etc but you will be picking up drunks so better to have a good attitude also dangerous work as you see the Grab driver murdered in Pattaya last week 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

When I was in Pattaya last October I jumped into a bolt /grab car in Jomtien, the driver was an older Thai in his 50's

As he asked me where I was going I picked up a Australian accent.

I was right he had been living in Australia for 25 years 

He told me he was on a 8 week holiday with his Australian male partner and was living in Australia working as a public servant in Melbourne

He decided to drive his neighbours car to get away from his boyfriend for awhile 

He told me he wasn't really driving for the money but picked up around 2,000 baht a day after expenses he told me including tips 

The thing is ,great english skills will get you tips , he picked up a lot of farang drunks and was able to joke and laugh with them 

I think working the Friday night shift say 5pm to 5am  12 hours  you possibly could get 4-5k if you worked it and with tips etc but you will be picking up drunks so better to have a good attitude also dangerous work as you see the Grab driver murdered in Pattaya last week 

not sure I would want my wife dealing with the 4 am drunk who struck out at the bar and is still drunk and looking.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/6/2024 at 12:22 PM, StarJedi said:

I asked the question to Bolt but I did not get any answer.

My Thai wife would like to become a Bolt driver. The car is registered in my name.

Anybody know if that would be OK with Bolt.

Thanks

Did you look on the Bolt app about applying to become a driver?

As you see, nothing but the expected negativity and nonsense here. Yet I'm encountering more and more female Bolt drivers--during school hours. 🙂

I think safe enough. The drivers can choose their customers (see a rating, I think) and destinations, work when they want to.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 12:22 PM, StarJedi said:

Lol, last night I booked a car with Bolt to get from my house (Thepprasit Soi 8 ) to Marco's on Thepprasit. The first guy accepted the fare, started moving, then sent me a message basically saying, "Fork this for a game of cards, I'd sooner take my girlfriend out for a meal. Please cancel." So I did but the next car got lost in the streets around here, the Bolt map was playing up and showing silly directions. I got the GF to talk to him and try to explain how to get here but he was just moaning and grizzling, so I pressed cancel again. The next driver accepted but, before he even got going, he sent a message saying, "Sod this for a game of cards, the money's not enough, I'm not coming." Heck, I don't set the prices and I always tip generously, like rounding up a 60 Baht fare to 100 Baht. Anyway, my fourth attempt succeeded in getting a local driver who ignored Bolt's dodgy app directions and came straight to the house.

Based on this, I'd draw two conclusions:

1. Around half of Bolt drivers evidently don't think the money is worth the effort.

2. Few Thais seem able to read a map well and, combined with the app sometimes going doolally, I think it could be a pretty frustrating job. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

She will make a cashflow "profit" until the gas tank is empty.  The list of wealthy taxi drivers is extremely short.

They seem to grumble a lot about being squeezed on the prices they charge..... perhaps an attempt to get more of  tip. But it sounds like a lot of work for little return. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 8:14 AM, bbko said:

Unless you can speak/write like a Thai, why can't your wife ask them?

If I want to have a straight answer, I am better to ask myself, not through my wife !