Zelensky sacks Ukraine's commander-in-chief Valerii Zaluzhnyi

image.png

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has made a significant shake-up in the country's military leadership by removing Valerii Zaluzhnyi, the commander-in-chief of Ukraine's armed forces. The decision comes amidst speculation regarding a potential discord between President Zelensky and General Zaluzhnyi, who has been at the helm of Ukraine's war efforts since the conflict began.

Gen Oleksandr Syrskyi, a battle-hardened military leader, has been appointed as Gen Zaluzhnyi's successor through a presidential decree. This marks the most significant change in Ukraine's military leadership since Russia's large-scale invasion in February 2022.

President Zelensky emphasized the need for a "renewed" high command in the military, stating that Gen Zaluzhnyi is welcome to "remain on the team." While Gen Zaluzhnyi is widely respected and admired by Ukrainian soldiers and the public, President Zelensky stressed the necessity for changes within the armed forces.

The newly appointed army chief, Gen Syrskyi, brings a wealth of experience in both defensive and offensive warfare. Notably, he played a crucial role in defending Kyiv during the initial stages of Russia's invasion and spearheaded successful counter-offensives, including the strategic operation in Kharkiv.

President Zelensky emphasized the importance of making the current year a decisive one for Ukraine's goals in the war. He underscored the need for technological advancements in the military's operations and emphasized the significance of battlefield commanders' expertise.

The decision to revamp the military leadership has garnered mixed reactions, with opposition MPs expressing concerns about potential risks associated with the shake-up. However, supporters of the move believe it is essential to revise tactics and strategies to adapt to the evolving nature of the conflict with Russia.

Ukraine's Defence Minister, Rustem Umerov, expressed gratitude to Gen Zaluzhnyi for his service and leadership during the challenging period of the war. He highlighted the dynamic nature of warfare and the need for new approaches and strategies to address evolving challenges effectively.

Overall, President Zelensky's decision to overhaul Ukraine's military leadership underscores the country's commitment to enhancing its capabilities and adapting to the changing dynamics of the conflict with Russia.

Source

image.png

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, retarius said:

Good move by Zelensky....

This was irony by the way....like shutting the barn door after the horse has bolted...Ukraine has already lost the war. 

And if NATO gets more involved to dig the useless Ukies out, then it may go nuclear...Ukraine to my mind has no good options, and this panic move will solve nothing. Neither will adding more untrained and unwilling conscripts to the front. 

I wonder if the Ukrainian people will root in the streets as some Russian (or pro-Russian ie biased) journalists/analysts have suggested? We will have to wait and see, what happens and not pre-judge the issue. 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I read today that the new CiC of the armed forces has a new strategy. That instead of trying to push Russia out of the land it occupies, he is going to instruct that they "hold the line" ie do not lose any more territory but will lose many fewer men.

On 2/11/2024 at 5:43 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm all for love rather than war, but I suspect that was a typing mistake. :heart_001:

hehehehe root as in rooting for, not root as in having sex with....root isn't English, whop prefer 'shag'...it's Aussie and Kiwis use the word 'root' Reminds me of a song....Come all around the world, are ya ready for a beard new dance? We'll be rooting in the streets. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, retarius said:

I read today that the new CiC of the armed forces has a new strategy. That instead of trying to push Russia out of the land it occupies, he is going to instruct that they "hold the line" ie do not lose any more territory but will lose many fewer men.

hehehehe root as in rooting for, not root as in having sex with....root isn't English, whop prefer 'shag'...it's Aussie and Kiwis use the word 'root' Reminds me of a song....Come all around the world, are ya ready for a beard new dance? We'll be rooting in the streets. 

Saying from my younger days Q "What eats roots and leaves?" A "A Kiwi".