Raikkonen Roars To Germany Pole

Raikkonen roars to Germany pole

Raikkonen is looking for his third straight Grand Prix win

Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen roared to pole position during a dramatic qualifying session for the European Grand Prix.

The final spell of qualifying was delayed for just over half an hour when British world championship leader Lewis Hamilton crashed into the barriers.

When qualifying resumed, Raikkonen set a flying lap of one minute 31.450 seconds, ahead of McLaren's Fernando Alonso and team-mate Felipe Massa.

If Hamilton is passed fit he will start in 10th place on the Nurburgring grid.

Hamilton unhurt following crash

Hamilton was taken by stretcher to the Nurburgring's medical centre

Lewis Hamilton remains hopeful he will race in Sunday's European Grand Prix after leaving the Nurburgring on a stretcher following a high-speed crash.

The Briton, 22, went into the tyre wall at the 'Schumacher S' bend and struggled to get out of his McLaren before medical assistance arrived.

"I'm absolutely fine and I really hope I can race," said Hamilton, who has been provisionally cleared to race.

He will undergo a final check-up by FIA doctor Gary Hartstein on Sunday.

Top two dominate Euro GP practice

Hamilton was fastest in the morning session

McLaren and Ferrari look set for a close battle at the European Grand Prix after both topped the timesheets in Friday's two practice sessions.

Briton Lewis Hamilton was fastest at the Nurburgring for McLaren in the morning, while Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen was quickest in the afternoon session.

Hamilton set the fastest lap overall with one minute 32.515 seconds compared to Finn Raikkonen's 1:33.339.

Fernando Alonso, team-mate of Hamilton, trailed the pair in both runs.

I hope Hamilton wins but rekon on Raikkonen

:o