Would You Work In Singapore?

"Malaysia would drive me a bit bonkers; the inefficiency of Thailand combined with the accent and manners of Singapore. Hmmm. Not for me. But I will say KL as a city is a mighty nice city; not too large, good transport and cheapish food. Good "

- Yea all true ;-)

I would still choose KL before SGP due to low living costs. SGP n KL kinda even look a bit same at least in Downtown KL...

If i compare for example prices between europe and here, the buying power of one Malaysian ringit about equals one Eur, which is not too bad as the exchange rate is about 4.7 ;-)

So in other words, i am staying here for the money, but it is not a bad place to be in any ways at least what i have experienced...

If you want to stay in Finance, in Asia, you've basically got Tokyo, Hong Kong and Singapore as the obvious places, with Shanghai, and Sydney also building up some finance capability (I know Sydney isn't really Asia, but it's probably a similar flight time as Tokyo, and is considered Asia by most big multinationals - that aren't mining firms.)

For visiting Thailand, Singapore and Hong Kong are obviously a lot closer, and are probably your best choices. I think Hong Kong tends to pay a little better, and has more finance jobs in general, but English is a lot more pervasive in Singapore, and the air quality is generally better. In both, you can get jobs which only require English, but you may find yourself wanting to pick up some Cantonese when you go out and about in HK, where English will be all you need in SG.

Other than that, there are the odd finance jobs dotted around, but they'll usually be direct transfers from abroad, or be local hires. I.e. There are finance jobs in Thailand, but they won't generally be open to non-Thai nationals because of the hassles of work permits - except for fairly high up positions, or ones where specific knowledge is required.

"Malaysia would drive me a bit bonkers; the inefficiency of Thailand combined with the accent and manners of Singapore. Hmmm. Not for me. But I will say KL as a city is a mighty nice city; not too large, good transport and cheapish food. Good "

- Yea all true ;-)

I would still choose KL before SGP due to low living costs. SGP n KL kinda even look a bit same at least in Downtown KL...

If i compare for example prices between europe and here, the buying power of one Malaysian ringit about equals one Eur, which is not too bad as the exchange rate is about 4.7 ;-)

So in other words, i am staying here for the money, but it is not a bad place to be in any ways at least what i have experienced...

With the exception of the bad traffic jam in KL. Bangkok or Jakarta used to be the worst but KL have now over taken all of them.