Flying out of Krabi to KL for another visa exemption

Hello I couldn't post in the immigration section so apologize if this is in the wrong place. 

Just a quick question really, I arrived in Thailand 7th Feb, visa is until 7 march, my flight home from Bangkok is 11 march. So have booked a flight from Krabi to Kuala Lumpur, same day flight to Bangkok. 

My question is do I just transit through Kuala Lumpur or do I need to go through immigration in and out again. I've searched everywhere for the answer only found that on a land entry you have to do this, so am assuming it's the same for air but just need to check as it would save a lot of time if you don't need to, 

Thanks in advance for any advice 

• Like 1

Hmmm,  it would be the same as land crossings.  In that you need a stamp in your passport to show that you have entered another country. 

I use to do the same years ago when in Chiang Mai.  Went up to Mae Sai border, crossed over the bridge, paid US$10.  Got a stamp in the book, did some duty free grog purchases and returned to Thailand. 

You couldn't walk halfway across the bridge and return. Thai immigration would ask where you have gone... No stamp. 

If you had a tourist visa then a simple extension of stay at Thai immigration can be applied for. 

Visa exemption cannot be extended however. 

To add to my last.... I arrived back in Thailand in Nov 23 from NZ.  Visa exempt on arrival. 

Only allowed 30 days so I then had to leave, went to Vientiane and got a tourist visa.   This is good for 60 days.  Now I am going to get 30 day extension at local immigration. 

54 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

To add to my last.... I arrived back in Thailand in Nov 23 from NZ.  Visa exempt on arrival. 

Only allowed 30 days so I then had to leave, went to Vientiane and got a tourist visa.   This is good for 60 days.  Now I am going to get 30 day extension at local immigration. 

Sorry, but any visa exempt entry can be extended for 30 days, but only once, at your local immigration office.

Example from Trat office.

“Who can extend their tourist visa?

Anyone who either has:

A 30 Day Visa Exemption stamp.  ( This is the stamp that visitors from most Western countries receive when they enter Thailand. )”

https://www.tratimmigration.com/how-to-extend-a-tourist-visa/

Edited by Georgealbert

17 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Sorry, but any visa exempt entry can be extended for 30 days, but only once, at your local immigration office.

Example from Trat office.

“Who can extend their tourist visa?

Anyone who either has:

A 30 Day Visa Exemption stamp.  ( This is the stamp that visitors from most Western countries receive when they enter Thailand. )”

https://www.tratimmigration.com/how-to-extend-a-tourist-visa/

Thanks for that.... Its a new one to me.  

I was of the understanding you had to have a tourist visa not a visa exemption. 

Good to know differently. 

23 hours ago, Sallyann said:

Hello I couldn't post in the immigration section so apologize if this is in the wrong place. 

Just a quick question really, I arrived in Thailand 7th Feb, visa is until 7 march, my flight home from Bangkok is 11 march. So have booked a flight from Krabi to Kuala Lumpur, same day flight to Bangkok. 

My question is do I just transit through Kuala Lumpur or do I need to go through immigration in and out again. I've searched everywhere for the answer only found that on a land entry you have to do this, so am assuming it's the same for air but just need to check as it would save a lot of time if you don't need to, 

Thanks in advance for any advice 

No mention of airlines, which may be a big factor as KUL has two terminals, one for the regular carriers and the other is AirAsia's LCC terminal. They are separate. Both airports handle fly-through and transits differently, but based on my passport flip flights from before Covid, you would definitely need to clear through Malaysian immigration at the main terminal in order to check in for your 'return' flight.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

No mention of airlines, which may be a big factor as KUL has two terminals, one for the regular carriers and the other is AirAsia's LCC terminal. They are separate. Both airports handle fly-through and transits differently, but based on my passport flip flights from before Covid, you would definitely need to clear through Malaysian immigration at the main terminal in order to check in for your 'return' flight.

As far as i know, only Air Asia flies Krabi - KL.

Yes I am flying AirAsia from Krabi and to Bangkok, I am almost sure I will pass immigration into Malaysia just to be on the safe side, was just hoping to avoid it as there is always huge queues. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sallyann said:

Yes I am flying AirAsia from Krabi and to Bangkok, I am almost sure I will pass immigration into Malaysia just to be on the safe side, was just hoping to avoid it as there is always huge queues. 

You have no choice but to clear Immigration in KUL, you cannot just "turn around and come back".

Also, are you aware there is a new online arrival system for Malaysia? I don't have the link handy but will look it up if necessary.

Sorry so just to be sure, if I pass immigration into Malaysia then fly to Bangkok I will get another entry Visa for 30 days, I only need it for 8 days and I do have an departure flight booked. Also both flights arrive and depart in KL terminal 2, so I will pass through immigration there hopefully. 

23 minutes ago, Sallyann said:

Sorry so just to be sure, if I pass immigration into Malaysia then fly to Bangkok I will get another entry Visa for 30 days, I only need it for 8 days and I do have an departure flight booked. Also both flights arrive and depart in KL terminal 2, so I will pass through immigration there hopefully. 

Before I attempt to answer that question would you mind looking at the attached info page from the Thai MFA and tell us which category you can under?

Presumably it's the "Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme" but best to make sure.

https://image.mfa.go.th/mfa/0/zE6021nSnu/เอกสาร/VOA.pdf

35 minutes ago, Sallyann said:

I only need it for 8 days and I do have an departure flight booked.

Why not just go to immigration and obtain a 30 day extension to your visa exempt entry.

1900b 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Why not just go to immigration and obtain a 30 day extension to your visa exempt entry.

1900b 

By far the best advise on this thread.  There is absolutely no reason to fly to KL and back.  Plus you risk a hassle with Thai immigration when you return if you do a same day border bounce like that by air.   It's much better to stay a night or two outside the country before you return.

There is absolutely no reason to do a 'border-hop' in your case.  

A 30-day VisaExempt Permission to stay or a 60-day TouristVisa Permission to stay, can both be extended on the spot for 30 days at ANY Thai Immigration Office (cost 1.900,- THB). 

You would only need your passport and a TM-30 notification as proof of address from the Hotel/guesthouse where you are staying in the province of the Imm Office where you want to apply for that 30-day extension (the 30 days are ADDED to expiry date of your Permission to stay). 

I am on the exemption visa, I am from Greece. It's a long story why I am doing the airport run,am on Koh Lanta and didn't really want to go to Krabi immigration takes a whole day, found a cheap flight to KL then Bangkok so thought it would be just as easy, am now regretting it but the flights are booked .

58 minutes ago, Sallyann said:

run,am on Koh Lanta and didn't really want to go to Krabi immigration takes a whole day, found a cheap flight to KL then Bangkok so thought it would be just as easy, am now regretting it but the flights are booked .

And you should be regretting. 

So takes whole day to get to Krabi immigration....

It's going to be that also to fly to KL and back.

BTW for future plans ...don't do a bounce to another country via air and back same day. 

If you have any history immigration at airport at reentry to Thailand can quiz. 

Better option if immigration in person was a hassle was to use an agent. 

Not expensive and you no need to attend. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

And you should be regretting. 

So takes whole day to get to Krabi immigration....

It's going to be that also to fly to KL and back.

BTW for future plans ...don't do a bounce to another country via air and back same day. 

If you have any history immigration at airport at reentry to Thailand can quiz. 

Better option if immigration in person was a hassle was to use an agent. 

Not expensive and you no need to attend. 

Thanks for stepping in, I was lost to the Suk this evening 😅

'''  You have no choice but to clear Immigration in KUL, you cannot just "turn around and come back".  '''

You can transit Kuala Lumpur KLIA2 Air Asia without going through immigration and return to Thailand OK. I just did it in November (and pre covid). There is access to the upstairs departure area near the immigration arrival hall although it is a little obscure, I can't remember seeing a sign but I imagine there is one for 'departures'.

Edited by oliverphoenix2
clarity!

''' I can't remember seeing a sign but I imagine there is one for 'departures'. '''

If you have your return flight boarding pass and 'no checked in luggage' follow the signs for international departures and you will get to the departure area without having to go through Malaysia immigration. If you have checked in luggage you'll have to go through immigration to pick it up and check it in for return flight and then through immigration again to leave.

Just trying to make the best of a not so smart decision 😞

DrJack54, in answer to whether it takes all day from Koh Lanta to go to Krabi immigration yes, 2 hours mini bus to Krabi, 3 or 4 in Krabi and immigration then 2 hours back by mini bus. I was flying to Bangkok anyway to get my flight home so flying via Kuala Lumpur added about 5 hours on to the trip. I am 60 and my husband is 70 so we were looking for an easy option. 

Just one more question,after reading a lot about the immigration, I think I read somewhere that you can now extend your visa on arrival at the airport by going to the immigration there and paying 1900 baht, does anyone know if this is true. 

Would be nice to know for next year, though we normally get 60 day visa before we leave Greece, this year we didn't as we were only staying 30 days but the flight got changed. 

Sorry for the long post, you guys have been really helpful. 

OlivePhoenix2 , thank you for the information for the airport in Kuala Lumpur.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Sallyann said:

I think I read somewhere that you can now extend your visa on arrival at the airport by going to the immigration there and paying 1900 baht, does anyone know if this is true. 

I certainly haven't read anything along those lines.

As you suggest a SETV might be a better idea next time. 

That can also be extended by 30 days. 

Most folk apply for extension couple of weeks prior to expiry. 

On 2/18/2024 at 4:53 AM, oliverphoenix2 said:

'''  You have no choice but to clear Immigration in KUL, you cannot just "turn around and come back".  '''

You can transit Kuala Lumpur KLIA2 Air Asia without going through immigration and return to Thailand OK. I just did it in November (and pre covid). There is access to the upstairs departure area near the immigration arrival hall although it is a little obscure, I can't remember seeing a sign but I imagine there is one for 'departures'.

Interesting. I'm surprised that you got away with it because conventional wisdom says that you need to clear Immigration in the arrival country otherwise you'll be denied entry upon your return to Thailand. Or you won't get checked in in the first place.

I don't think it's something I'd be willing to chance but then again i don't have a pressing need to do same-day "out/ins".

Have you done this more than once or was the experience you related a one-off?

PS. If you're going to quote someone on here then please use the built-in quote function. That way the person you are responding to will receive a notification that you replied to their post.

Edited by Lemsta69

On 2/18/2024 at 4:53 AM, oliverphoenix2 said:

Since January 1st 2024 everyone needs to complete Malaysia Digital Arrival Card (MDAC)

https://imigresen-online.imi.gov.my/mdac/main

https://support.airasia.com/s/article/Travel-Requirements-Malaysia?language=en_GB

4 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Interesting. I'm surprised that you got away with it because conventional wisdom says that you need to clear Immigration in the arrival country otherwise you'll be denied entry upon your return to Thailand. Or you won't get checked in in the first place.

I don't think it's something I'd be willing to chance but then again i don't have a pressing need to do same-day "out/ins".

I wouldn't chance this either.  I wouldn't do a same day bounce by air in the first place, but if I did, I would definitely enter the other country properly before attempting to return to Thailand.

Important note, make sure you have the ticket out of Thailand on you when enter Thailand after Kuala Lumpur hop.

You said you entered Thailand in November, Thai immigration can ask you questions, why are you in Thailand so many times etc. It is only your second entry but I would make sure I have a ticket out on me, immigration is usually happy with that. I would have the ticket printed, they love papers. 

13 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Have you done this more than once or was the experience you related a one-off?

Right now I have UK multi non o (ret) so I need to exit every 90 days and theoretically should not have problem with a border bounce. In November I flew Phuket-KLIA2-Phuket, had a mobile boarding pass on my phone and only a carry on bag.

In the less strict years before covid I bounced KL without going through immigration at least twice from memory and entered Phuket on visa exempt entries with no problems (I had proof of onward flight/funds and as usual it was not asked for). These days there seems to be a lot more scrutinization. 

I don't know what the specific immigration requirements are regarding an entry stamp into another country before re entering Thailand but obviously if you go back to your home country you don't get a stamp and also for UK passport holders you don't get a stamp entering/leaving Hong Kong. Land borders may well have slightly different rules.

The MDAC (Malaysia digital arrival card) I think is only required if you need to pass through Malaysia immigration.

From UK.GOV website.....

image.png.8b794570ffb1ccf9a2216fa31e6e5eee.png

Edited by oliverphoenix2
upload image
  • Thanks 1