Today's experience trying to obtain my tax refund

9 minutes ago, BenStark said:

I have KTB account for 3 years already.

Last year I asked the revenue department if they could do the refund into my KTB account instead of a cheque.

Answer was, sorry can not do for foreigner, so I waited for my cheque which only can be deposited in a KTB account  🙂

If you have a bank account with another bank, say SCB, you simply walk into SCB with your cheque and savings book. Fill in the cheque deposit slip with account and cheque information. Wait for cheque to clear (1-2 days) and money is in your account.

Cheque can be deposited at ANY BANK, it is just issued by KTB, but that doesn't mean it can only be deposited at KTB branch.

• Agree 1

I filed last month still waiting for the refund. Yesterday went to Jomtein Revenue Office 4th floor confirmed I can no longer use e-money card to receive refunds.

I was claiming tax withheld at Bangkok Bank, I asked if I can get refund deposited in Bangkok Bank the answer was yes. I'll take the refund check to Bangkok Bank to try my luck once I got it in the mail.

10 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

Yesterday went to Jomtein Revenue Office 4th floor

Did they ask you to sign anything else or just said wait - in the past mine sometmes took a couple of months to arrive so I think you were maybe expecting it too soon?

I was there to ask about how to get my refund since e-money card is no longer an option, wasn't there to ask when I will get the refund which I filed on January 10th but was told my refund was approved February 15 and will get it in the mail soon.

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

If you have a bank account with another bank, say SCB, you simply walk into SCB with your cheque and savings book. Fill in the cheque deposit slip with account and cheque information. Wait for cheque to clear (1-2 days) and money is in your account.

Cheque can be deposited at ANY BANK, it is just issued by KTB, but that doesn't mean it can only be deposited at KTB branch.

What cheque?  The OP stated they are no longer issuing then. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Thailand J said:

I filed last month still waiting for the refund. Yesterday went to Jomtein Revenue Office 4th floor confirmed I can no longer use e-money card to receive refunds.

I was claiming tax withheld at Bangkok Bank, I asked if I can get refund deposited in Bangkok Bank the answer was yes. I'll take the refund check to Bangkok Bank to try my luck once I got it in the mail.

Please read what I wrote before making the last part of your comment. I was advised by the Revenue Department that they NO LONGER issue tax refund cheques. There are ONLY 2 options available now, PromptPay (not available to foreigners unless your PromptPay is with Krungthai Bank) OR credit to a Krungthai Bank account.

True.

False.

I've filed online (as usual) and within a week received the standard envelope with letter and a cheque. Took it to my bank (which is not Krung Thai) and did a cheque deposit. As it was a Sunday I was told that it would be deposited after 11 am on Monday, which it was. That's this last weekend.

Same as every other year except that couple of years when they asked us to use KrungThai e-Money ATM card. After that it was switched back to mailing cheques.

False.

I've filed online (as usual) and within a week received the standard envelope with letter and a cheque. Took it to my bank (which is not Krung Thai) and did a cheque deposit. As it was a Sunday I was told that it would be deposited after 11 am on Monday, which it was. That's this last weekend.

Same as every other year except that couple of years when they asked us to use KrungThai e-Money ATM card. After that it was switched back to mailing cheques.

I wish people would read what is written before making such uninformed/out of date comments.

My wife was shown and read the NEW Revenue Department policy re tax refunds and the 3 things that came into effect on 1 January 2024 were:

#1. No more refund cheques

#2. e-Money card system CANCELLED.

#3. Tax refunds for foreigners can only be credited to a Krungthai Bank account.

I've just been through the process of having to do all this. The last 4 years my tax refunds were by cheque, prior to that by e-Money.

Going forward when I receive the letter from the Revenue Department confirming the amount of my tax refund I take the letter to krungthai bank and they credit the bank account with that amount. No bank fees involved.

2 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

True.

False.

False.

I wish people would read what is written before making such uninformed/out of date comments.

My wife was shown and read the NEW Revenue Department policy re tax refunds and the 3 things that came into effect on 1 January 2024 were:

#3. Tax refunds for foreigners can only be credited to a Krungthai Bank account.

I've just been through the process of having to do all this. The last 4 years my tax refunds were by cheque, prior to that by e-Money.

Going forward when I receive the letter from the Revenue Department confirming the amount of my tax refund I take the letter to krungthai bank and they credit the bank account with that amount. No bank fees involved.

True.

False.

False.

True.

False.

False.

2 hours ago, jesimps said:

Good luck if you're thinking of getting a letter of residence from Jomtien Immigration to open a bank account. Last time I tried they told me that they only issued them for driving licences. In the end I had to buy accident insurance from the bank before they'd issue me an account.

what is the relevance of your comment with regards to tax refunds? NONE.

You could try the head office at Ploen Chit, I opened an account roughly 6 months ago, I used yellow book and pink id card to do so (did not take a residency letter) - account is in Thai translation of my name per pink id card.

I use the account for paying SSO monthly fee as it's the only bank which supports direct debit for this.

Note there is no face scanning for foreigners on the app so need to do max transfers of under 50k

3 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

#1 I received my refund as a cheque by post on February 15, 2024.

After seeing your post earlier I actually expected I'd have to open KrungThai account and had all documentation ready... opened mailbox, and there was an envelope with a CHEQUE in it.

#3 I just did the opposite of that. How do you explain that?

#1 I received my refund as a cheque by post on February 15, 2024.

After seeing your post earlier I actually expected I'd have to open KrungThai account and had all documentation ready... opened mailbox, and there was an envelope with a CHEQUE in it.

#3 I just did the opposite of that. How do you explain that?

Obviously your local/provincial Revenue Office is ignoring the NEW tax refund policy issued by The Revenue Department's head Office in BKK and making it's own rules, much the same as practically every other govt dept.

Let's see if you get a refund cheque next year.

Edited by TigerandDog
  • Thumbs Up 1

Last month I went to my Thai bank ( krungsri  ) and asked for the TAX forms to claim back any TAX that had been taken from my savings accounts  . I was given a set of printed forms to claim back the TAX that had been taken . I then took those printed TAX forms to my small local amphur TAX office and gave them to the girl sitting behind the desk . The girl then entered  my TAX details ( My Thai TAX ID number ) into her computer . The local TAX girl then asked if I had registered with the Thai TAX office on line, which I did a long time ago , she then asked me to check my online TAX account details , which I did then there and then , using my mobile phone . The information shown on my TAX details account , showed where the local amphur TAX office girl had just requested that a payment cheque to be sent to my home address . 

The things I had with me when applying at the small local amphur TAX office were..

1. My TAX ID Number 

2. Completed printed forms from my bank , showing the total amount of TAX that had been taken from several savings accounts.

3 Internet access to my online Thai TAX account .

To day I received in the post at my home address a bank cheque from the Thai TAX office ( where I originally asked for a TAX ID number ) I then this morning took that bank cheque to a local bank ( Krungthai ) where I also have an account and it was deposited into that Thai bank account with out any issues. 

I think that the local amphur TAX office girl asking me to go on line to check my Thai TAX account details , may not have been really necessary .

So for me it was a straight forward and simple process to claim back the TAX amount taken from my Thai bank savings accounts.

Tom