Drunk driver kills traffic officer in hit-and-run on Rama 4 Road

webfact

image.jpeg

A tragic incident unfolded on February 16, when a Chevrolet Captiva sped through a police checkpoint on Rama 4 Road, striking and fatally injuring a traffic police officer before fleeing the scene. The driver, later apprehended by police, was found to have a blood alcohol concentration of 187 milligrammes percent, far exceeding the legal limit.

On the night of February 16, traffic police were conducting routine alcohol checks on Rama 4 Road. Amidst their duties, a white Chevrolet Captiva approached at high speed. Despite signals from the officers to stop for inspection, the vehicle accelerated, striking Sub-Lieutenant Nattapong Kaennakham, a member of the Traffic Police Division 5, who was performing a check. The impact caused severe injuries to the officer, reported Sanook.

The driver of the Chevrolet did not stop to render aid and continued to flee the scene. However, their escape was short-lived as police swiftly cornered and apprehended the individual approximately 150 metres from the site of the accident, near the mouth of Plook Chit Lane on Rama 4 Road. Following the apprehension, the driver underwent a breathalyser test, which revealed a blood alcohol level of 187 milligrams percent.

Sub-Lieutenant Nattapong tragically succumbed to his injuries and passed away following the crash. Meanwhile, the driver faces multiple charges, including driving under the influence of alcohol resulting in grievous bodily harm to others, failing to stop and offer assistance or identify themselves to officials after causing injury and damage, resisting and obstructing officers, driving recklessly causing damage to other’s property, and assault on an officer performing their duty. The suspect was taken into custody for further investigation and legal proceedings.

In related news, a 13 year old Thai volunteer rescuer tragically died on duty in a multi-vehicle accident, the result of a collision caused by a drunk driver in Nonthaburi province, near Bangkok.

Source: The Thaiger 2024-02-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

by Samantha Rose

Picture courtesy of Dailynews

• Sad 7

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The driver, later apprehended by police, was found to have a blood alcohol concentration of 187 milligrammes percent, far exceeding the legal limit.

A free pass to Dubai, Thaksin might offer his pad at a good price.... ?

Thought not.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I know Thais can be drunk at any time of day, but I would like to know what time of day that poor 13 year old volunteer was hit in Nonthaburi.

Could/Should one so young be on the road at all, and especially at night (if it happened at night)?

This is equally sad (or more so) than the main story. Do we have more details?

• Agree 2

RIP killed for doing his duty. I hope the drunken thug who killed him gets life in prison. But I doubt it. In my opinion cop killers should be executed automatically on conviction. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

RIP officer. Not a good idea to step out and attempt to stop a speeding car approaching you.

I doubt he stepped out in front of the car. It's more likely he jumped to the side to avoid being hit and the drunk driver swerved at the same time. The driver will claim he swerved to avoid him as part of his defence

Edited by RobU
Typo

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

What kind of coward mows down a cop, trying to evade a police stop, then attempts to flee the scene? Who are these people? Who are their parents, and why did they fail so miserably at raising their child? 

entitled and believe they cannot be held responsible for anything, u-tube is full of clips showing that (you can't arrest me, your a public servant and have to do what I tell you) and also the effects of thinking that way

3 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

entitled and believe they cannot be held responsible for anything, u-tube is full of clips showing that (you can't arrest me, your a public servant and have to do what I tell you) and also the effects of thinking that way

For that most certainly applies to the wealthy, does it apply to the common man too? You think the average person really has that attitude? I see some people cowering when they're around the police here. 

6 hours ago, brianthainess said:

RIP officer. Not a good idea to step out and attempt to stop a speeding car approaching you.

Read the link.

The officer was doing a check as with another vehicle likely exposed near the road and was hit by the speeding car. There is no mention that he stepped out deliberately in front of the speeding auto to stop it.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

For that most certainly applies to the wealthy, does it apply to the common man too? You think the average person really has that attitude?

See it all the time, can't be bothered stopping for traffic lights, won't obey the no entry signs or the police officer indicating same, cutting across 3 lanes of traffic to turn right when the lights change due to lengthy queues in the right turn lane, walk straight to the bank teller / post office counter to get served first as they can't take a ticket and join the queue.

Once seen a police officer with his back to the traffic (after stopping it) with his arm out to say stop get hit on his arm by a motorbike that flew through between the stopped cars and failed to stop for him and then kept going (of course as with about 30% of motorbikes here no number plate).

Many times have seen motorbikes being flagged down at checkpoints, give a one finger salute and keep going.

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I see some people cowering when they're around the police here. 

Yes, I'll agree many are like that, but as no real enforcement is carried out around me, they are getting fewer and fewer.