My 2 kittens, now 6 months old just love to wander,,, Too Far..

We live on a quite large land plot and ive had dog proof wire fencing put all around the perimeter

there are a number of feral dogs around , hence the fencing

but the 2 cats just love to wander next door, into a vacant block, why, just because they can , and im forever retrieving them.

extra chicken wire does not stop them, they just scale the fence

apart from the obvious, constant watching them, or keeping them inside

does any one know of a device that can be fitted to the collar , and with sensors along the perimeter fenceline

that " repels  " their advance .

i have read of these devices years ago, i dont know if they work or not,

but if any one knows of them or whether they actually do what it says on the box,

i'd me much appreciated..

Thanks.

Most Thai dogs IME don't bother cats, and they can run much faster than dogs.

I was going to suggest a speaker that has a motion censor and take a memory card, so you could download a barking dog sound, but I can't find them on Lazada now. 

• Haha 1

You can put cat fencing on top of your fence. (It's lightweight netting, angled inwards to stop them climbing over). But it's likely to trap other things in your yard as well, especially because it only stops cats getting out, not getting in. Other than that, nothing is going to stop an outdoor cat from wandering. They will take a collar off, and they quickly learn that recorded barks are nothing to worry about. 

4 hours ago, 33 RPM said:

We live on a quite large land plot and ive had dog proof wire fencing put all around the perimeter

but the 2 cats just love to wander next door, into a vacant block, why, just because they can , and im forever retrieving them.

does any one know of a device that can be fitted to the collar , and with sensors along the perimeter fenceline

but if any one knows of them or whether they actually do what it says on the box,

Thanks.

First thing I need to ask is are they neutered? Their life expectancy will jump to the 10-15 years ranged right away once get it done. Otherwise you'd be lucky if they get to 5, in any rural setting. 

You could get a few years if you hired someone to come to shoot the feral dogs once a week. You couldn't do it yourself as you'd need a real gun. Poison can't do, as you have cats. Even though cats are way smarter than effing dogs.

Anyhow, neuter...

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/20/2024 at 11:22 AM, 33 RPM said:

Thanks.

If the dogs don't. Other them should be ok. But s once a dog kills the dog wont stop.  I  have 9 cats and a king Cobra could of dragged off one white Persian. So I keep the white ones inside at night.  Especially toms.  ..I have had 14 cats killed by just one dog. The dog kept killing u til I  caughr him with a rope and drive him away 40 km 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/20/2024 at 4:02 PM, Ben Zioner said:

First thing I need to ask is are they neutered? Their life expectancy will jump to the 10-15 years ranged right away once get it done. Otherwise you'd be lucky if they get to 5, in any rural setting. 

You could get a few years if you hired someone to come to shoot the feral dogs once a week. You couldn't do it yourself as you'd need a real gun. Poison can't do, as you have cats. Even though cats are way smarter than effing dogs.

Anyhow, neuter...

Toms don't get neutered until late 15 months good vets are reluctant to do it before 12 months. Shooting a car killing dog or trying to poison it might not work smart Thai dogs are reluctant to take food from any other place or strangers.  

Carry your cats back to the house like a mother cat  grabbing them around the neck. Befriend the. Neighboring dogs. So they are not afraid if you . Only let your cats out in the mornings .

I'm afraid I've yet to find a sensoring system which really works. As all cat lovers know many cats are unhappy if they are not allowed to wander. We just have to hope and pray  that they stay safe which they mostly do in my experience, thankfully.

• Agree 1

A couple of years back, a very friendly, heavily pregnant tabby cat wandered into our garden and didn't want to leave, so we adopted her. She eventually had six beautiful kittens that we kept in the kitchen until they were old enough to keep under the house, which is on columns. One evening the mother went out and didn't come back, which was strange as she was still feeding her youngsters and seemed like a brilliant mum. 

One morning a few weeks later, I went to do some gardening outside the front of my property for about 30 minutes leaving the kittens playing under the house as I'd done many times before. On returning, they'd all vanished. My wife and I scoured the property and the local area for days, but could find no trace of them. There was no blood or fur laying around, everything looked normal. 

My theory is that someone passing the back gate saw them and drove them away in their car, because they were all cuties and very friendly. We'll never know.

On 2/20/2024 at 3:22 PM, 33 RPM said:

Thanks.

You build or buy a cat enclosure 

Cats hunt wildlife continuously

Outdoor Cat Enclosures Connected to House

We used to have outdoor cats for years until about 4 years ago when the last one went walkabout.

Last week a young cat turned up from somewhere and looked hungry. So my wife gave it some fish and now the cat seems to have adopted her, probably because she feeds it and it tolerates me. 

It has made its home on top of an old chiller cabinet and is not happy with our neighbours dogs.

I am quite happy for it to live here, provided that it knows that its job will be to kill rats and hopefully to kill all the pigeons that live in my MIL old house.

Thank you all for some most interesting, insightful and helpful comments

The 2 in question were "dumped " just outside the property one late afternoon and hearing people meowed their way over to ask for help / food

they were maybe 3 months old back then.

they have been fully vaccinated, had the snip, and are the 2 most affectionate cats ive ever had the delight to have .

Now, firmly entrenched as part of the family, i just want to keep them as safe as possible.

Fortunately we have a courtyard which is now escape proof so they spend the night in there so as not to roam

Appreciate all your comments

band of brothers.JPG

• Like 1