Non immigrant O visa (thai spouse)

Hi, i have a non-immigrant O visa (Thai spouse) which expire on September 2024. Problem : i have to go to my country (Belgium) on may 2024 and i plan to come back in Thailand in October 2024 so at the expiration of my visa. Do i have to apply for a new visa in my country or if i don't do it, do i have to go out for example to Vientiane to apply for a new one ? It isn't possible to do it at Thai immigration ?

Thank you so much for your help mates !:thumbsup:

6 hours ago, steph83 said:

Hi, i have a non-immigrant O visa (Thai spouse) which expire on September 2024.

Do you mean you have a 1-year extension of stay issued by immigration in Thailand (Thai spouse) that expires in September?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, steph83 said:

Hi, i have a non-immigrant O visa (Thai spouse) which expire on September 2024

You actually have an extension of permission of stay. 

That expires while you are away from Thailand. 

You can reenter Thailand visa exempt and obtain a non O based on marriage at Thai immigration or you could obtain one in Belgium.  

Here in a thread that outlines procedure.

Also contains links to similar threads.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1315828-visa-exempt-to-90-day-non-o-spouse-visa-conversion-in-thailand/

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Do you mean you have a 1-year extension of stay issued by immigration in Thailand (Thai spouse) that expires in September?

Exactly, i do the report at the office immigration every 90 days.

If you are returning to Thailand after your current permission of stay date expires, then you'll have to start the procedure from scratch again.

To apply for a 1-year extension of stay you must have Non Immigrant status, which means obtaining a new Non Imm O visa.

13 hours ago, steph83 said:

Do i have to apply for a new visa in my country or if i don't do it, do i have to go out for example to Vientiane to apply for a new one ? It isn't possible to do it at Thai immigration ?

You can apply for a new Non Imm O visa from the Thai Embassy in Belgium to re-enter Thailand, or you can enter Thailand visa exempt (no visa) and apply at your local Immigration office to change your status to Non Immigrant (Non O), then thereafter apply for the 1-year extension again as outlined by @DrJack54 above.

Applying for the Non O at the Thai Embassy, Belgium, the requirements are listed on page 8 of this list:
https://image.mfa.go.th/mfa/0/P5NCnBapvr/Type_of_Visa_2023/Non-Immigrant_O-OA_Visa.pdf

When entering Thailand you will be granted a stay of 90 days, then within the last 30 days of that 90 days, you can apply directly for the 1-year extension of stay again.

If you choose to enter without a visa (VE entry) and apply for a change of status to Non Immigrant (Non O) at your local Immigration office, the procedure is here;
VE-TV to Non O Spouse.pdf 

When entering Thailand, you will be granted a stay of 30 days. Immediately apply for the Non Imm at your local Immigration office, (there is a further option to apply for a 60-day extension if you require more time to apply for the Non Imm)and you will be granted a further stay of 90 days.
Within the last 30 days of that 90 days, you can apply for the 1-year extension of stay again.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Thanks 1

Guys what happens at the end of the one year extension based on marriage? 

Do you keep extending report etc or do you have to apply from scratch? 

Thank you in advance.

11 minutes ago, stix40 said:

Guys what happens at the end of the one year extension based on marriage? 

Do you keep extending report etc or do you have to apply from scratch? 

Thank you in advance.

You keep on extending it 1 year at a time, there are some here who have renewed the extension for more than 30 years. Personally I have renewed it for about 6 years.

As said above - but each time involves paperwork as was the case the first time - only thing not required is a new visa/entry.  But same proof of qualifications required every year (and they may change a bit by the officer performing the extension of stay).  Wife will have to be with you each time and there will be a 30 day under review period.

Edited by lopburi3

6 hours ago, Liquorice said:

If you are returning to Thailand after your current permission of stay date expires, then you'll have to start the procedure from scratch again.

To apply for a 1-year extension of stay you must have Non Immigrant status, which means obtaining a new Non Imm O visa.

You can apply for a new Non Imm O visa from the Thai Embassy in Belgium to re-enter Thailand, or you can enter Thailand visa exempt (no visa) and apply at your local Immigration office to change your status to Non Immigrant (Non O), then thereafter apply for the 1-year extension again as outlined by @DrJack54 above.

Applying for the Non O at the Thai Embassy, Belgium, the requirements are listed on page 8 of this list:
https://image.mfa.go.th/mfa/0/P5NCnBapvr/Type_of_Visa_2023/Non-Immigrant_O-OA_Visa.pdf

When entering Thailand you will be granted a stay of 90 days, then within the last 30 days of that 90 days, you can apply directly for the 1-year extension of stay again.

If you choose to enter without a visa (VE entry) and apply for a change of status to Non Immigrant (Non O) at your local Immigration office, the procedure is here;
VE-TV to Non O Spouse.pdf 

When entering Thailand, you will be granted a stay of 30 days. Immediately apply for the Non Imm at your local Immigration office, (there is a further option to apply for a 60-day extension if you require more time to apply for the Non Imm)and you will be granted a further stay of 90 days.
Within the last 30 days of that 90 days, you can apply for the 1-year extension of stay again.

Many thanks for your explanations !:thumbsup:

On 2/21/2024 at 8:34 PM, steph83 said:

Hi, i have a non-immigrant O visa (Thai spouse) which expire on September 2024. Problem : i have to go to my country (Belgium) on may 2024 and i plan to come back in Thailand in October 2024 so at the expiration of my visa. Do i have to apply for a new visa in my country or if i don't do it, do i have to go out for example to Vientiane to apply for a new one ? It isn't possible to do it at Thai immigration ?

Thank you so much for your help mates !:thumbsup:

Easiest option is just to get new visa in Belgium before you return. There is not much difference between renewing an extension or getting extension from new visa, done it twice in last couple of years.

When you go make sure you have access to docs required for new visa and a note from spouse saying she expects you back in October. You can use the funds you would have for your extension, all quite straightforward.

• Love It 1