Good Bushes or Shrubs for the Shady Side of the House?

tweezer

Hi,

I have a side of my house that never gets any direct sunlight (though it's pretty bright... just no direct sunlight.)

Can anyone recommend some good bushes or shrubs that will live well in this area?  Looking for some hedge bushes which we'll keep to less than 1 meter high, and also a couple taller, narrow bushes for the corners, that we'll keep to 2-3 meters high.

Any advice would be great! (Thai plant names would help so I can ask at the markets).

Thanks!

T.

Edited by tweezer

Ixora will grow in shade/indirect light although it will not flower as much as in sunlight. I think it's "ton khem" in Thai...needle bush. Korean Banyan can be rather sparse and straggly in the shade. If you can put up some wire or a trellis perhaps any philodendron could be another option ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/29/2024 at 3:13 PM, Expat4life66 said:

Hi,

Check out the shrub / wanna be tree below.   

Chamaecyparis lawsoniana Ellwood's Gold - Lawson Cypress

A few months back wife bought 12 for a section of our border wall / side of the house walkway.  Plant shops will have different sizes you can purchase and its easy to control the height once planted.  Ours are about 1.2 meters high, and receive no direct sunlight.   Nice looking plant/tree, slight eucalyptus smell that is supposed to fend off the mozzies (or so we were told by a neighbor).   In PKK these sell for 50THB and up depending on size, the 1.2m were 150 THB each.  

Hope this helps,

Chris

On 11/25/2021 at 3:43 PM, JustAnotherHun said:

Thanks for this tip!  I'll check these out.

On 2/29/2024 at 3:40 PM, Will B Good said:

We put in Korean Banyan trees....3' high, now 6' within a year... now growing new ones from the seeds.

Grew like wildfire once we put in a sprinkler system....quite thick and bushy.

Photo is a stock photo.

Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 15.41.49.jpg

Those look nice!  I'll have a look around for these.  Thanks for sharing.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/29/2024 at 8:06 PM, MikeN said:

Ixora will grow in shade/indirect light although it will not flower as much as in sunlight. I think it's "ton khem" in Thai...needle bush. Korean Banyan can be rather sparse and straggly in the shade. If you can put up some wire or a trellis perhaps any philodendron could be another option ?

Thanks for the tips here.  I'll check out the Ixora (ton khem).  Appreciate it!