Submit TM 30 on return to Thailand - even with valid OA (retirement) visa?

What are the rules at Jomptien Immigration regarding my return to Thailand after a brief UK visit?

My current OA (retirement) visa is valid until Feb 2025, with an already registered TM 30.
I also have a single exit/re-entry stamp.

Do I have to go immediately to Jomptien and re-register my address?

Sorry to have to ask yet another simple question,  but after 18 years of renewing my 'retirement' visa

I now have brain fog with the constant-inconsistent churn of rules.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Although the official rules re TM-30 do not require you to re-register after returning to your 'official address for Imm purposes' after a domestic trip or an international trip (with your Permission to stay protected by a Re-Entry Permit), there are several rogue offices that make their own rules, and do want you to do this.  

• Agree 2

32 minutes ago, johnnybgood said:

My current OA (retirement) visa is valid until Feb 2025, with an already registered TM 30.
I also have a single exit/re-entry stamp

Just to clarify....

What is "valid until" date on your initial non O-A. 

Non O-A is multi entry visa.

19 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

This is posted on the Pattaya Expats site, and they try to keep up with current trends at Jomtien office.

I have not done one recently, but about 5 months ago, had to file a new one for my extension. Had not changed address, but had been out of country.

IMG_2225.jpeg

Which of course is not the same as a requirement for returning. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

So it looks like 1 yes and 1 no. I guess I will have to do it to be safe. 

We have 3 different categories that may or may not require a new TM30. 

1.  Returning from a domestic location

2.  Returning from a foreign location

3.  IO decides your's is old and you need a new one. 

Please don't comment I unless you have been told by IO to get a new one. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Which of course is not the same as a requirement for returning. 

Sorry I have no idea what your post is about, as it is not clear what your asking.

The Pattaya expat website says if you return from overseas Jomtien, require a new TM30, regardless of situation.

My example was, I never did a TM30 after returning from overseas, but was told to do a new one before I could my extension, still at same address.

Edited by Georgealbert

It depends on the LOCAL IO policy.  Some require, some don't.  On retirement O extension.

Be safe always, do a TM-30.

I ran into a problem in Korat, went to do my 90 day ( on day 89 was closed ) on day 90 while attempting to do report ( I left the country for  10 days ) was told to do new TM-30 BEFORE I could do 90 day.  20 minutes later, all done. 10 years here with NO dings on my file, thought I would be facing my first ding - NO ding, I was lucky.

Edited by edwardflory
spelling

Short answer: No.

Long answer: My experience with Jomtien is as follows: I have a TM-30 from 2017 or thereabouts, and went abroad (with new passport, stamps transferred) last summer.

On return did 90-day report in person, no need for new TM-30.

I recently did my retirement ext. of stay, and still not asked for a new TM-30, and same again with the 2nd 90-day after returning.

I have been on retirement extension for around 17 years, married for 11 years to same wife, live in her house all the time, with yellow book as proof of address.

I never have any problems at Jomtien, and I now see reports that you can in fact use the reservation system, will see if it works with a re-entry permit I still have to do.

I would go prepared to submit a TM-30, but try without first. Nothing ventured, nothing gained...

(Also, I was NOT asked to come back in 3 months to show the 800K in the bank when collecting my retirement extension. I was just given my passport, and I asked is that all, the nice lady said yes!).

Edited by MeaMaximaCulpa
Forgot a line

1 hour ago, Georgealbert said:

The Pattaya expat website says if you return from overseas Jomtien, require a new TM30, regardless of situation.

Well The Pattaya Expats website is wrong.  There is no need to do a new TM30 after leaving and returning to the same address. I entered with a new passport, transferred the retirement stamps over to new passport and have since done 2 90 day reports online including the first one with a new passport. No mention of a new TM30 at any stage. A chap down the gym has just extended his 30 day visa exempt entry and again no mention of a new TM30. Yes this is Jomtien immigration.

21 minutes ago, jimn said:

Well The Pattaya Expats website is wrong.  There is no need to do a new TM30 after leaving and returning to the same address. I entered with a new passport, transferred the retirement stamps over to new passport and have since done 2 90 day reports online including the first one with a new passport. No mention of a new TM30 at any stage. A chap down the gym has just extended his 30 day visa exempt entry and again no mention of a new TM30. Yes this is Jomtien immigration.

Don’t disagree, but sometimes it is the luck of the draw. The only consistency is their inconsistency at times at Jomtien.

I did my extension, October last year, same address for a few years, TM30 done online after returning from overseas, still had to go to the outside counter and do a new TM30 before they would accept my application.

Had 2 friends do 30 day extensions from visa exempt entries in January. All done through an agent, just turn up for picture, 5 minutes and 4000 baht, but agent wanted a copy of TM30 from hotel.

No right or wrong, as the goal posts move so often. 55555

Edited by Georgealbert

On 2/28/2024 at 6:05 PM, Georgealbert said:

This is posted on the Pattaya Expats site, and they try to keep up with current trends at Jomtien office.

Why on earth can't the Director of the Immigration Department make all his offices follow the printed regulations? 

On 2/29/2024 at 2:03 PM, edwardflory said:

It depends on the LOCAL IO policy.  Some require, some don't.  On retirement O extension.

Be safe always, do a TM-30.

I ran into a problem in Korat, went to do my 90 day ( on day 89 was closed ) on day 90 while attempting to do report ( I left the country for  10 days ) was told to do new TM-30 BEFORE I could do 90 day.  20 minutes later, all done. 10 years here with NO dings on my file, thought I would be facing my first ding - NO ding, I was lucky.

Some are breaking the law then, quite outrageous that this nonsense goes on when they are all well aware of the June 2020 change. Of course fines would have nothing to do with it.

Edited by proton

On 2/28/2024 at 4:15 PM, PoorSucker said:

Yes, within 24h

Arrive from overseas on late Sunday night.  How am I supposed to convince my landlord to do a TM30 within Monday?

On 2/29/2024 at 1:58 PM, Georgealbert said:

Sorry I have no idea what your post is about, as it is not clear what your asking.

My example was, I never did a TM30 after returning from overseas, but was told to do a new one before I could my extension, still at same address.

What I was trying to say is that needing a new TM30 for an extension is different from someone having to do it within 24 hours by returning from overseas with no extension for a long time.  Also the "ALERT notice" posted above is not an official announcement by Jomtien immigration, just hearsay.

1 hour ago, AAArdvark said:

What I was trying to say is that needing a new TM30 for an extension is different from someone having to do it within 24 hours by returning from overseas with no extension for a long time.  Also the "ALERT notice" posted above is not an official announcement by Jomtien immigration, just hearsay.

Sorry, I am not a mind reader, so found it unclear.

I did also say I had left the country and returned from overseas, and Jomtien wanted a new TM30, before doing my extension, that was 5 months ago.

I did state that the notice I posted was from the Pattaya expats club, and they do discuss things with immigration, they claim. Yes heresy, but about the same as every post on this forum.

Jomtien requirements are often inconsistent, so someone’s experience can be different from anyone else.

2 hours ago, oldestswinger said:

Why on earth can't the Director of the Immigration Department make all his offices follow the printed regulations? 

Rules and regulations are flexible and always open to interpretation in Thailand, and most of SE Asia.

Plus discretion and the need for extra documents/info/procedures are always in the guidelines, allowing each office to decide.

If we don’t like the rules/regulations, then we moan, but if the rules can be bent in our favour, which often happens, we happy to accept.

10 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

Arrive from overseas on late Sunday night.  How am I supposed to convince my landlord to do a TM30 within Monday?

You are the householder, ie the possessor in your capacity of tenant. Submit the TM.30 notification yourself.

On 2/29/2024 at 3:46 PM, Georgealbert said:

Don’t disagree, but sometimes it is the luck of the draw. The only consistency is their inconsistency at times at Jomtien.

I did my extension, October last year, same address for a few years, TM30 done online after returning from overseas, still had to go to the outside counter and do a new TM30 before they would accept my application.

Had 2 friends do 30 day extensions from visa exempt entries in January. All done through an agent, just turn up for picture, 5 minutes and 4000 baht, but agent wanted a copy of TM30 from hotel.

No right or wrong, as the goal posts move so often. 55555

I leave and return to Thailand to the same address with a Retirement extension/re entry permit once a year. I never do a new TM30, my last one was 2017. A guy down the gym did a 30 day extension of his visa exempt entry last month. His TM30 is 3 years old, no mention ofa new one.

8 minutes ago, jimn said:

I leave and return to Thailand to the same address with a Retirement extension/re entry permit once a year. I never do a new TM30, my last one was 2017. A guy down the gym did a 30 day extension of his visa exempt entry last month. His TM30 is 3 years old, no mention ofa new one.

Yes as I said no consistency.

Been at the same address over 4 years, in and out many times, never had a single issue until extension 5 months ago. Given no choice other than to go back outside and do a new TM30 or no extension. Original TM30 was done online and printed off.

Maybe caught them on a bad day, or as I went at 13.00, maybe did not want to do that day and wanted me to come back in the morning.

I now have a nice office issued TM30 stapled in my passport, and there was no fine. Wonder what to expect this year, as been in and out on re-entry twice so far.

• Like 1