Extending ‘marriage visa’

I have a ‘marriage visa’. I am nearing the end of my initial 12 months. To renew do I need to submit all documents again — ie, marriage certificate, house registration, etc — or just the TM 7, photos, bank statement, etc? I am in Ranong. TIA

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Vaguely recall that Rayong at one point required a witness for extensions based on marriage. 

Someone dealing with that office will advise 

He is in Ranong, not Rayong.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Vaguely recall that Rayong at one point required a witness for extensions based on marriage. 

Someone dealing with that office will advise 

on Rayong's yearly marriage extension visit, they always want to speak to our neighbour/witness

"Under Consideration" for Extension of stay after initial Marriage based Visa last year here in Chiang Mai. all documents again and each page needing signature (which becomes quickly illegible).

18 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They will want exactly the same for your first renewal. And the second. And the third. And again and again until you die. Only the photos you submit need to be new. In the real world you notify authorities if something changes. In Thailand you have to inform them that nothing has changed. Especially applies to the utterly pointless 90 day reports.

Agree and you also need a new KOR ROR 2 at most IO, from any Amphur that says you are still married.

On 3/1/2024 at 8:49 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

They will want exactly the same for your first renewal. And the second. And the third. And again and again until you die. Only the photos you submit need to be new. In the real world you notify authorities if something changes. In Thailand you have to inform them that nothing has changed. Especially applies to the utterly pointless 90 day reports.

Agree but at CM Immigration we've used photocopies of the same photos used the last 4 years....no new photos

On 3/1/2024 at 9:12 AM, brianthainess said:

Agree and you also need a new KOR ROR 2 at most IO, from any Amphur that says you are still married.

At Chiang Mai immigration a photocopy of the original KorRor 22 is acceptable- no new KorRor required.....

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

At Chiang Mai immigration a photocopy of the original KorRor 22 is acceptable- no new KorRor required.....

So if you are Divorced but your ex is willing to lie, then you still get the marriage extension.

That is why many IO want a new KOR 2 every year, to Prove you are still married, and at my IO it has to be dated same day.

• Thumbs Up 1

A KR 2 is proof you are still married on the day of anything to do with a wife and extension, you get a signed and dated one at the ID card place....☺️

1.  ONE completed TM7 - 2 pictures.

2.  Proof of funds.  400K for I think it has to be in your bank for 2 months before and a month after your application or something like that.  Bank Letter + Bank Book. The bank letter/book must be updated the SAME DAY AS THE APPLICATION. Some offices like to see a transaction on the day too.

3.  Photos of you and your wife around the house. One with you outside clearly showing the House Number and 2 inside the house. 

4.  Marriage certificate and updated Kor Ror 2

5.  Wife’s ID and House Book

6.  Driver’s License (photocopied)

7.  Map to your residence. 

8.  Passport and departure card (photocopied)

9.  House book/Copy of rental agreement or lease

Edited by South

KorRor 2 and KorRor 22 are very different documents.

KorRor 2 is the registration of a marriage in Thailand, if you get divorced in Thailand, it will show on the Thai system. This is done automatically by the Amphur data input.

KorRor 22 is the family status registration and is used to confirm that the legal marriage outside Thailand, is on the system. Foreign marriages are not automatically registered and you have to verify documents and register it yourself.

A foreign marriage, may require a foreign divorce, depending on the countries regulations, and again is not automatically registered in the Thai system. 

Edited by Georgealbert

On 3/3/2024 at 11:27 AM, Georgealbert said:

KorRor 2 and KorRor 22 are very different documents.

KorRor 2 is the registration of a marriage in Thailand, if you get divorced in Thailand, it will show on the Thai system. This is done automatically by the Amphur data input.

KorRor 22 is the family status registration and is used to confirm that the legal marriage outside Thailand, is on the system. Foreign marriages are not automatically registered and you have to verify documents and register it yourself.

A foreign marriage, may require a foreign divorce, depending on the countries regulations, and again is not automatically registered in the Thai system. 

You are absolutely correct. If you were married outside of Thailand you need to go through the process to obtain a KorRor 22 to support extensions of stay based on marriage.  To this date I have never been required to obtain a "new" KorRor 22 as CM Immigration says a copy is sufficient.  There is NO requirement for obtaining a KorRor 2 if you have a KorRor 22 as the KorRor 2 is for when the marriage occurs WITHIN Thailand.

30 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

You are absolutely correct. If you were married outside of Thailand you need to go through the process to obtain a KorRor 22 to support extensions of stay based on marriage.  To this date I have never been required to obtain a "new" KorRor 22 as CM Immigration says a copy is sufficient.  There is NO requirement for obtaining a KorRor 2 if you have a KorRor 22 as the KorRor 2 is for when the marriage occurs WITHIN Thailand.

Yes agree

A new KorRor 2 is required because the Thai marriage is normally followed by Thai divorce, so the system data is automatically updated.

It is enough of a problem to register an oversea marriage to get a KorRor22, so almost no one is going to be bothered to register an overseas divorce. So the original KorRor22 is accepted, but wife still has to be present for extension.

On 3/3/2024 at 11:03 AM, brianthainess said:

So if you are Divorced but your ex is willing to lie, then you still get the marriage extension.

That is why many IO want a new KOR 2 every year, to Prove you are still married, and at my IO it has to be dated same day.

I do not have a KorRor 2 as we were married outside of Thailand. I have a KorRor 22 and CM Immigration only requires a photocopy and not a "new" one from the Amphur

• Thanks 1

On 3/3/2024 at 11:23 AM, South said:

1.  ONE completed TM7 - 2 pictures.

2.  Proof of funds.  400K for I think it has to be in your bank for 2 months before and a month after your application or something like that.  Bank Letter + Bank Book. The bank letter/book must be updated the SAME DAY AS THE APPLICATION. Some offices like to see a transaction on the day too.

3.  Photos of you and your wife around the house. One with you outside clearly showing the House Number and 2 inside the house. 

4.  Marriage certificate and updated Kor Ror 2

5.  Wife’s ID and House Book

6.  Driver’s License (photocopied)

7.  Map to your residence. 

8.  Passport and departure card (photocopied)

9.  House book/Copy of rental agreement or lease

I do my marriage extension in the Chiang Mai Immigration Office, and note some of what you list is not universal or required; please note:

2. 400K two months prior to applying for the extension and must remain deposited until you receive your updated extension of stay stamp in your passport; then it may be withdrawn.  Bank Letter and Bank book must of course match and is acceptable in Chiang Mai to be obtained up to 7 days prior to submittal of the extension request to the IO. Note I use a fixed deposit account and NEVER have to do a transaction on the day I obtain the letter/bank book update.

3. If you were married outside of Thailand you can present a KorRor 22, & not a KorRor 2.

6. I've never been asked to include a DL in a request for extension.

8. Departure card no longer required.

In addition, in Chiang Mai you must submit a TM30 and your latest TM47 (90 day report receipt).

Best advice I can give to all is to go well in advance of your extension expiration and ASK the IO for a list of THEIR requirements....you don't want to make any mis-steps which could lead to rejection of your extension....

Edited by jeffandgop